DFIF (Dragon Fly in Flight)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by denniscloutier, Jul 6, 2015.

1. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I am still amazed by the speed and accuracy of the autofocus of the EM-1 with the 40-150 f2.8 lens. I shot this handheld using the 1.4x TC using early morning light. Unfortunately I caught a bit of the handrail of the boat I was sitting on in the bottom right corner, but I still think it is a cool shot. The detail of the fine hairs on the dragon fly's body is amazing in the full sized version.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    That is a great shot. So sharp. Picked out of the air. That's amazing. And would be a good reason to upgrade to that lens.

Can you share more about your focusing experience? Very interested.
  3. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    Thanks. Iso 800,CAF, 1/4000 sec, F4, and I think I was using the centre 9 af points. The focus speed on this lens is amazingly fast, especially since firmware 3.0 for moving subjects. I did miss most of these, either because I didn't have the subject framed properly, or because the af chose to focus on something else. But still, catching any sharp shots of dragonflies that are darting around is pretty impressive autofocus IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Excellent shot. It's so hard to capture a dragonfly in flight. It's almost one of those subjects where the red dot sight might come in handy while we depend on the fast AF of something like the 40-150 Pro to get it.

BTW, Speedliner, I casually compared my friend's 40-150 Pro on his EM5 II to my adapted 50-200 SWD on an EM1. The 40-150 Pro was noticeably faster to focus, almost instantaneous and silent, although there were a few times when it hunted. The 50-200 with PD-AF was fairly quick, but definitely not as fast as the 40-150 Pro. This was not a scientific test, just casual. However, one oddity. With the 50-200 SWD, I was able to focus outside (we were in a restaurant) on the street through a somewhat dirty window. With the 40-150 Pro, I could not get the lens to focus outside. It kept focusing on the dirty window. o_O
    • Like Like x 1