1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Despite Good Reviews... OMD EM5 Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SCT, Aug 22, 2012.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Despite the good reviews, I am considering buying one when I can. However, how come I see quite a number of them being put up for sale in the sales forum? The demand for the EM5 because everywhere still has that delay notice.

2. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    I think it just comes down to buyers remorse (or something similar) and just selling it off because they need the money for something else.I just purchased a om-d from here and waiting for its arrival (tomorrow most likely!)

Despite its top of the line performance some folks just cant justify the cost over say a gx-1 for half the price.

In a few months when the shutter counts get higher i expect used om-d's to dip in the 800 dollar range continuously

• Like Like x 1
  3. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I can't really justify the price either... But I am an Olympus fan since my first is the EPL1, just grown a lot of loyalty. Hopefully I can get the $$$ to buy one new soon. But first, I need to get my project car on the road and into a body shop for the winter, buy another car for before winter, then I should be a bit home free.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Hype meets reality for a lot of people and reality often lacks the emotional excitement of hype.

• Like Like x 1
  5. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Well stated Promit!

6. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Nothing new. Even the best cameras have early adopters that turn into early sellers for various reasons. It's been that way for every major camera release that I've paid attention to. It's not an indictment on the camera to see people selling used ones on the forum.

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That and the extra kick that comes with using a credit card to purchase one.

8. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Don't know about buyers remorse, never suffered with that.

But I've had sellers remorse, about 10 minutes after shipping my first E-M5 and grip.......Arghhhhhhhhhhh what have I done.

I'm on my second now and I love it, foibles and all.

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I was straight up disappointed. It was in fact a camera and not a miracle machine. Sold, and only somewhat regretted. With the grip and the lens (and to me neither of them was optional) I just felt like it wasn't a $1,700 camera. I may buy one in year or 2 when I get one for under $1000.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Iam one of them . It was OMD body only vs GX1 with PL25 for me for the same price and O chose later . I will get OMD but later on
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Some people are just systemic system switchers, like myself :D

I think my OM-D/G1X setup is my last system, though (promise, I swear!)
    I think I've been through 10 or 11 complete systems in the last 4 years.

It was fun though!

12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    There are a lot of reasons that folks might choose to sell their E-M5. I think Promit is likely right for some of them at least. Sometimes the dream of having something doesn't match the reality of actually having it. The E-M5 is a darned good camera but once you get it and it doesn't make you more attractive and make ever image you take look like it was shot by Adams or Weston (I'm kidding) you start to think about the practical aspects of it like the cost, whether or not it really suits your needs...maybe you don't care for flip up screens or it doesn't sit in your hand the way you like. Also, more than a few folks put in orders at multiple spots to make sure they got one. Sometimes they forgot to cancel orders once the E-M5 arrived. I don't think you can read too much into the recent spate of E-M5's for sale.

Heck look at the GX1. It's going for bargain basement prices. Considering the huge price drop you'd think it was a hunk of junk but I picked one up and have found it to be truly wonderful camera.

If you see a great price on an E-M5 and want it I'd say jump in it.

13. Razor777

Razor777 New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    Hampshire (UK)
    Mark
    I think for a lot of people, expectations often exceed reality and despite having something extremely good / setting new standards their initial disappointment impacts their ability to delve into something to get the best out of it (this applies to anything from a camera to a new car).

In my case I've been using the camera for about two days (received it on Tuesday) and the results were so so but then again that was also the case with the Nikon D3 so I know from first hand experience you need to practice, be willing to forget what you already know so it doesn't get in the way of trying new things specific to a new bit of technology and voila - you make magic after the initial learning curve.

The way I see it, I'm only 2-3 days in and I'd rather sell the Nikon D3 than the Oly at this stage - the IQ, the easy modes and more importantly the mobility and portability of the Micro 4/3 technology. This may well be the panacea for all my camera needs.

Mark

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The OM-D also requires (and rewards) a good bit more reading, digging and trial and error in terms of setting up the camera to suit the user. I found the first several weeks somewhat frustrating. That passed, and I have really come to appreciate the OM-D a great deal, but it took some perseverance.

15. claytonluke

claytonluke Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    Austin
    Clayton Hunter
    Well put. So true.

16. claytonluke

claytonluke Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    Austin
    Clayton Hunter
    I'm probably in the same situation. I definitely don't have that type of money to put into a camera, but I could. Too, for me it's a hobby. I'm definitely not looking to make money off photos. For now, I'm probably going to get the gx1 for my girlfriend and enjoy that til my obsession with the o-md wears off and the price drops. :-(