1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Design a lens - street shooting zoom

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by carpandean, Jan 9, 2011.

1. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I picked up a lens this week, because I thought it was neat. However, after getting it and thinking about it, I decided that it really was a much better design in its native (35mm) system than it is adapted to the :43: system. The lens? A Minolta MD 24-35mm f/3.5 (pics to come in the "Show us your adapted lens" thread.)

The thing is small, roughly the size of my MD 85mm f/2 prime lens, which being a later Minolta design is actually quite small for its stats, and is the same length (though slightly larger in diameter) as the Oly 9-18mm lens. Compared to other zooms designed for 35mm format, not much comes close in compactness to 24-35mm. It also covers what I imagine many street shooters would consider a very good range of focal lengths, basically the whole "wide-angle" category (on its native mount; adapted to :43:, it becomes just a ho-hum 48-70mm equivalent.) While not the brightest, f/3.5 is pretty good for a zoom (in fact, Minolta only made one faster zoom, the 40-80mm f/2.8, which had an odd handle on the side for zooming.) All that put together said to me that this was designed to be a pretty handy "one lens only" choice for walk-around, street shooting.

As I said, though, on :43: it covers normal to short telephoto; nothing to get too excited about. So, I started thinking about what the best equivalent type of lens would be. From pure stats, that would be roughly a 12-17.5mm f/3.5, so naturally one would think of the Oly 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6. But I'm wondering if that's really the best possible design. As I said, the 24-35mm is the same length as the 9-18mm, despite being designed for a larger format, so one might suspect that they could do better in designing a lens specifically for the smaller :43: sensor.

There's also rumored to be a 12-50mm f/2.5-3.0 zoom coming out. While that covers the intended range with speed, it also covers well above it into the telephoto range (up to 100mm equiv.) I would not expect this to be a small lens by any means.

So, what would be the ideal? Is a single, fast prime best? Is the 9-18mm good enough? Would, say, a very compact 12-17mm f/2.8 (give or take on the max aper.) be better? I'm picturing something a wider than the 9-18mm, due to the larger maximum aperture, but a little shorter than a collapsed Oly 14-42mm lens due to its short zoom range.

Note: when I talk about the "Minolta system" above, I'm referring to the SR/MC/MD system. Basically, how the lens compared to other lenses in that system. Later, Minolta AF lenses may have better stats, but this is a "relatively speaking" discussion and so I'm comparing it to its contemporaries.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Interesting. I had the 9-18 and sold it because 90% of the images were made between 14-18. So now I use the 14 & 20. I have the 17mm & 14-45 but will be selling them very soon. I don't use zooms because I frame better with primes. Primes make me work more by framing and seeing. I don't like the options a zoom offers.
    You asked what I would find as a good street zoom. I would maybe use a 12-20 with IS and about f2.2 - f3.3. Try and get it but I would if they made it.

3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    That would be a nice lens.

Another interesting lens to throw in the mix: Soligor made a dual-focal 28/35mm lens. It was not a continuous zoom, but rather could switch between two discrete focal lengths. Basically, it was supposed to provide better images at each focal length than a zoom typically would; almost two primes in one lens. I wonder if such a design would still have the same advantages. It would also work better with your feelings about framing with primes. Perhaps a 12/18 or 12/20 with similar maximum apertures to what you suggest?

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Years ago I was given a Leica 28-35-50.
    I used it alittle but didnt fall in love.
    I wish that the lens I described above worked like that.
    Instead of a sweep zoom, a step zoom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.