1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

desert twilight shots - oly 25

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mh2000, Dec 26, 2014.

1. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    A few random thoughts. I like the twilight mood. The ones I like most are the 8, 12 and 10, this last one for the sky and 1 for the incoming storm. I would remove a few, like number 2 and 5 for example. They look totally unprocessed. A few looks not level. The colors in the number 3 are the best ones. Shooting closer to the ground could have work in the last ones.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S.
    I suspect this is not the correct section of the forum, more like "Images to share" I think.

3. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Most of these aren't to my taste. It may be just me...some people like Faulkner, others don't. I agree with Klorenzo some look unprocessed. I have trouble finding a clear subject in many of them; but again, that's just my take. If they convey what you wanted, that's what is important.

4. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the comments guys! Regarding the processing I wanted to leave them with the feeling I had from being there. Maybe I was too careful. Regarding subject, it was meant to mostly be the emptiness of the place and the feeling being there. Regarding putting this up in the native lenses section -- there are plaenty of examples of cats and kids taken with someone's new lens. It still seems appropriate to me in a gear forum to view examples even if I'm not typically that interested in seeing photos of other people's kids.

• Like Like x 1
  5. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Because you asked... :wink:

There are three main problems that I see:

• First is the lack of a subject as has already been mentioned. "Emptiness" just doesn't work as a subject except in the most extraordinary of circumstances. Emptiness can very much highlight a subject and draw attention to it. If you found one lone tall, beautiful flower and made that the subject set against an otherwise dull wasteland, it could work by showing the contrast and giving a better sense of desolation and isolation - the viewer can relate to the flower.
    • The second problem is the colouring. It's all very dull blue-grey. Although you've titled it as twilight, nothing about the colours reminds me of twilight. It reminds me of a very dull and overcast mid-day. This hurts the photos by providing only the worst, most boring light to everything being photographed. Either a little bit earlier where direct sunset-sunlight would have given some attractive warm colours to everything or a little bit later when you could have adjusted the white balance and gotten some of those wildly-deep blue twilight skies could have served to make it an exposé on colour at twilight. Even as is, I think the white balance needs adjustment.
    • The third problem is composition. A number of the shots have the horizon going right through the middle of the photo (am I looking at the sky or the land?). Some of the shots respect the rule of thirds, but put the horizon on the top third; the problem being that the flat, boring dirt in the bottom 2/3rds of the picture captures zero interest. In picture #8, it appears that there are some reddish foothills after some yellowed grasslands in the distance. From a compositional standpoint, the grass, the hills, and the sky above them look like the best things to form a picture out of. That is to say, put the horizon on the bottom third so that the viewer isn't bored by dull, dirty, flat ground with no interesting features.
    At least, those are my thoughts. :smile:

• Like Like x 1