Desert Model Railway (fun with miniatures)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Brian G, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    The Desert Model Railroad is a very cool tourist attraction in Osoyoos, British Columbia, that has an incredible display of German-made Marklin miniature railroads complete with jaw-dropping model environments.

Since I had to shoot through glass, I limited what I shot to scenes that were very close to glass and the camera, and where I could place the lens hood up against the glass to minimize any detrimental effects from reflections on the glass. I did have a tripod in the car, but it would have been in the way of other visitors. Single exposures only, no brackets.

Because of the limited light, hand-holding, and wanting to limit ISO to 1600, these are all very limited depth of field, larger apertures. I'd have liked a bit more DOF, but on the other hand it enhances the "toy" feel.

I avoided anything further away from the glass, so no actual trains, unfortunately. My apologies if there are model train fans here.

Brian

9422998750_7022767e46_b.
    Desert Model Railroad Snow Plow by Blueshound250, on Flickr

9423001116_46471a8383_b.
    Desert Model Railroad Caterpillar by Blueshound250, on Flickr

9420238501_ec511354d0_b.
    Desert Model Railroad Biergarten by Blueshound250, on Flickr

9423006190_f7710109cd_b.
    Desert Model Railroad Monster Truck by Blueshound250, on Flickr

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I admire folks that have the patience to construct these wonderful items! :smile:

3. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    #1 and #3 are my favorites. The snow in #1 shows how it is extremely difficult to model. Not perfect here either, but very good.

And the illusion, biergarten in #3 is quite fun. Especially the leds, huge, out of scale but it takes really a while before you notice that (at least for me).

I really like any kinds of models and admire people who do these. It's definitely something I couldn't do.

4. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    The entire display was very, very impressive, and quite an accomplishment. Unfortunately my couple of pics don't convey what seeing the whole thing was like.

Painstaking work, and it went on and on. It was the highlight of Osoyoos, for my wife and I.

Brian