1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

depth of field scale on OM lens question.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by johnny9fingers, Mar 15, 2010.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

When you use OM lenses on an E-P2, is the depth of field scale accurate? I have been considering getting an OM adapter as I have 28mm, 50mm & 85mm lenses and thought it would be fun to give them a go on the E-P2. The only bad thing would be my OM-1n would feel even more neglected.....

2. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

:rolleyes:  Duh, I found this post by Amin that answers my question. I need to read through the posts here as a lot of the questions I have are already asked and answered :tongue:

It's very simple. Say you're using the following two cameras:

OM-1 (35mm frame) with OM 100mm f/2.8 lens mounted
    E-P1 (4/3 frame) with OM 50/1.4 lens mounted via adapter
    Now use those two cameras to take a picture of a given subject at a given distance will have the following effects:

Framing (angle of view) will be the same
    Depth of field will be the same if the E-P1 lens f-number is set to half the f-number of the OM-1 lens. Ie, the 100mm lens at f/4 on the OM body will have the same DOF as the 50mm lens at f/2 on the E-P body
    Speed (as it relates to exposure) is based on the nominal f-number, and no calculation is needed. Ie, for a given ISO speed, setting the OM lens to f/2.8 and the E-P1 lens to f/2.8 will result in the same exposure for any given shutter speed
    Note that all of the above are true whether you use an OM lens via adapter, regular 4/3 lens via adapter, native lens, or medium format lens via adapter. Any 50mm f/1.4 lens used in any fashion on a body will give you the same framing and DOF as a 100mm f/2.8 lens on a 35mm frame (135 format) body, and the speed of the lens is based only on the actual f-number without any calculation factor.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.