Denver in the Time of Pandemic

Real Name
Melissa
In April I decided to document a few of the neighborhoods that I frequent during 'normal' times, to see how they've been affected by the stay at home and social distancing mandates during the coronavirus. I visited three Denver neighborhoods, Baker (South Broadway), Colfax Avenue, and River North (there's no river, BTW). Here are some of my favorite shots.

My oldest ventured out with me for the South Broadway outing and I took this now rare opportunity to get him in the pic. It was also a chance to have some fun and dust off my Photoshop skills (which are, apparently, very dusty.)

S O C I A L distancing by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

Be Excellent to Each Other | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

Remember to Distance Safely | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

Fuck You Covid-19 | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

May the Force Be with You | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

Some advice from Fight Club | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

South Broadway | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

My next walkabout took me to Colfax Avenue, which happens to be the longest, continuous street in America. Well, I ventured to East Colfax, which has a very colorful history and is a center for what some call the "urban poor."

We're Gonna Take a Short Break | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

social distancing | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

Making $$ | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

the buses still have to run | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

practice kindness | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

And finally, River North. An old, industrial neighborhood in the thick of gentrification.

Denver | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

food to go | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

Walk-up Window | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

trash still needs to go out | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

some people are taking this seriously, some people aren't | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

There are more pics, these are just some that tell the story. You can read more (and see more) at my blog, Urban Nymph Photo.

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In April I decided to document a few of the neighborhoods that I frequent during 'normal' times, to see how they've been affected by the stay at home and social distancing mandates during the coronavirus. I visited three Denver neighborhoods, Baker (South Broadway), Colfax Avenue, and River North (there's no river, BTW). Here are some of my favorite shots.

My oldest ventured out with me for the South Broadway outing and I took this now rare opportunity to get him in the pic. It was also a chance to have some fun and dust off my Photoshop skills (which are, apparently, very dusty.)

View attachment 821464S O C I A L distancing by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821465Be Excellent to Each Other | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821466Remember to Distance Safely | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821467Fuck You Covid-19 | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821468May the Force Be with You | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821469Some advice from Fight Club | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821470South Broadway | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

My next walkabout took me to Colfax Avenue, which happens to be the longest, continuous street in America. Well, I ventured to East Colfax, which has a very colorful history and is a center for what some call the "urban poor."

View attachment 821471We're Gonna Take a Short Break | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821472social distancing | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821473Making $$ | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821474the buses still have to run | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821475practice kindness | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

And finally, River North. An old, industrial neighborhood in the thick of gentrification.

View attachment 821476Denver | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821477food to go | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821478Walk-up Window | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821479trash still needs to go out | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

View attachment 821480some people are taking this seriously, some people aren't | During the Pandemic by Melissa Johnson, on Flickr

There are more pics, these are just some that tell the story. You can read more (and see more) at my blog, Urban Nymph Photo.
Excellent group of photos, love your color, and one B&W.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Yeah great work Melissa.
What stood out for me was the colour.
I don't know how much was processed but the pictures really made me feel alive in this often dark and gloomy time.
Thank you for venturing out and showing us LIFE.

mfturner

Mu-43 Regular
Great photo set! My oldest daughter spent a summer internship living on the wrong end of Colfax while riding the bus to Anschutz, that made her later Boston internship like child's play.

Real Name
Melissa
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all so much for the comments. I've been working really hard on finding my own style, so your thoughts on the color and processing are really appreciated.

@mfturner I can only imagine having to take a bus to Anschutz every day down that stretch of Colfax. I bet she has some stories!

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
Baker, my hood! Your colors are great, BTW.

Hopefully we'll get those boarded windows down soon and SoBo will get humming again!

The Hairy Angler

New to Mu-43
Real Name
JohnD
Melissa, Serendipity !
After a long pause I finally logged into this site again, to be met with your wonderful images. i particularly like..South Broadway, Social distancing, Making $$ ( Banksy'ish) and practice Kindness. The shots remind me of many happy summers spent in Old Colorado City, Manitou Springs and Wyoming.
Your shots are not what I expected to see of Denver....and are all the better for that. Made my day. JohnD

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
Very moving and well-crafted photographs. I stumbled on these a few days ago and got called away from the computer. Had to shut everything down in a hurry because of a power outage and was trying to remember where I had seen these (what thread? I did remember the general forum). I am so glad I found them again. Your work is just superb and so very timely in its story-telling. Thanks so much for sharing them - want to see more!!

Bill

Real Name
Melissa
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Melissa, Serendipity !
After a long pause I finally logged into this site again, to be met with your wonderful images. i particularly like..South Broadway, Social distancing, Making $$ ( Banksy'ish) and practice Kindness. The shots remind me of many happy summers spent in Old Colorado City, Manitou Springs and Wyoming.
Your shots are not what I expected to see of Denver....and are all the better for that. Made my day. JohnD
Thank you so much for your kind words! Making $$$ was one of my favorites and I'm glad you liked it as well.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom