1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Denied Permit Because Camera Did NOT Have A Mirror'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Oct 20, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  2. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    That made me chuckle.

3. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I had a similar experience in South Africa back in the late apartheid era of police state madness... in '86 in Johannesburg at the scene of a shooting [cop death squad we thought] just outside our newspaper office, with my Leica CL and 40mm f2 lens — looked real dinky — the the Sefrikan police arrested me for a while because they said I was not a real journo with such a weird little camera. Was I a spy? It took the intervention of my editor [he was black, in fact, and that shocked the cops] to get me out of a trip to John Vorster Square Police HQ. While all this was going on, the shooting victim was dying at our feet, attended by medics. He was dead by the time I was freed. Later, having emigrated to Oz, I wrote a short story about it: "The Man in the Golden Shroud" [because they had covered the victim in a "spaceblanket" and then wrapped it around the body]. Cameras can get you into trouble. Don't carry a Minox!!!!

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    First world problems...

• Like Like x 6
  5. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    My wife's cellphone has a camera and a mirror - would that work? :tongue:

6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Next time bring a Sony SLT and try and convince him there is no mirror in there

7. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I ran into the same sort of silliness with Gigwalk. They were looking for people with DSLRs to take photos in hotels and tourist spots. I contacted them about using my E-PM1... Denied. My girlfiriend's 6MP Nikon D50? No problem! Huh?

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I would bet that at some point in the past, someone ran into trouble because their carriage wasn't pulled by a horse. This too shall pass.

9. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Been in the Antelope canyon twice and both visits where a bit annoying because the Navajo guide was trying to teach you ALL THE TIME how to take pictures...

10. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yet another case where a mu-43.com "ON ASSIGNMENT" shirt was needed... :wink:.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Most people don't know jack sh...t about photography. Never have. Never will. For them it's a ''big is better" world. Most people never new what was done with the film in their camera, except that it was "developed". Done. You are now free to lose your negatives.

12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Give a guy a job, make up some rules so that he doesn't have to get creative, and this is what happens. The alternative is hiring someone who actually cares (good luck on that one) or have an insane list of acceptable cameras.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas

No words for what happened in this situation....

• Like Like x 1
  14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard! What if he had a view camera - very serious but NO mirror! Plus why would they care? If they only allow "pros" that is fine but it should be based off some credentials and not what camera you have. If it were me I would write a complaint to whomever is in charge of this.

15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Take a Leica M9 to the canyons - that's guaranteed to confuse them!

Sadly it's further proof that non-photographers believe it is the camera and not the photographer that is important. I experienced a similar attitude (but in different circumstances) at a recent craft fair where I displayed my photographs. Twice in the same afternoon I received the comment, "These are great pictures, you must have a really good camera."

Grrrrr!

• Like Like x 1
  16. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    How ridiculous. Perhaps they should grant entry based on the successful answering of a question, like 'what does DSLR stand for'? :roll eyes: That might separate the wheat from the chaff.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    I tend to carry around one or two old film slrs with me to go along with my panasonic. In this case I would simply go to the truck, walk back in and slap down a couple SLRs. All the more reason to keep a 10 dollar AE1 program around.

Rediculous? Yes, but its a stupid rule so give a stupid response.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Conversely, I've been singled out countless times because I had a camera with a mirror. It's about time the mirrorless crowd started taking some of the heat also.

The-Arrest-HP-L.
    My seemingly favorite snap.

Gary

• Like Like x 3
  19. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Trouble is, how many officials would know the answer themselves? :rolleyes:

20. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    Why not make the line"Does it have interchangeable lenses?"
    The whole SLR thing has always been stupid IMO and you don't need a mirror with digital ,you are already looking through the lens.
    And as we are finding out a EFV is better than a mirror in low light with slow lenses.