Dell XPS for portable photo editing(?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cuervo.taylor, May 24, 2013.

1. cuervo.taylor

cuervo.taylor Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking in buying the dell XPS with the following specs:

-Intel Core 5 third generation
    -Windows 8, 64bit
    -HD LED monitor (1080p) 13.3 inch
    -8 GB SDRAM DDR3 at 1600 MHz
    -SSD of 256GB
    -IntelĀ® HD 4000

I'm just starting in photography and haven't done my first photo editing, but also I'm an avid backpacker. Usually I last 2 weeks, 1 months, 4 months backpacking.

I had this laptop today in my hands and it seemed very light weight. Just perfect for my trip

But do you think it is a decent option for photo edition?
  2. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Sounds like you might be looking at one of Dell's Ultrabook models. If so, these are nice laptops. I've played with them at work and they seem well made. The specs you listed should run Lightroom or Photoshop very nicely. One thing, the screen on these are very bright, you might want to have a print made and then set the brightness to make or go for a screen calibration device.

If you're backpacking, Thule makes a lightweight yet very strong case. I carry my Macbook Pro back and forth to work every day and around the hospital in a backpack. I'm not gentle with my backpack and have yet to dent this Macbook Pro (they do dent!). Here's a link if you're interested: Thule Gauntlet TAS-113 13.3" MacBook Pro and Retina Display Sleeve (Black): Computers & Accessories
  3. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    That laptop should get the job done no problem. It would have been nice if you could a 4 core CPU instead of 2 on that laptop but still that is plenty of juice to get photo editing work done. The SSD will amaze you if you haven't had one before. :thumbup:
  4. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Just be sure it meets minimum requirements. You'll need a lot of RAM, and a bit of HDD space if you like to hoard photos. That should do you good, though, for the most part.
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    The XPS 13 is not bad. I would also look at the Asus UX32VD-DH71. It comes with only 4 or 6gb of RAM but you can upgrade it to 10gb. Not too common in an ultrabook. The hard drive is also upgradable. AND it has a GT 620m graphics card, a nice step up from the HD4000.
  6. cuervo.taylor

cuervo.taylor Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013