1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dell U2410 monitor question.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Livnius, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    G'day folks.

Yesterday I bought a Dell Ultrasharp 2410 monitor as I had grown tired of my existing stock standard 14" monitor on my laptop and wanted a quality upgrade for viewing and working on my images. After a bit of research, the Dell Ultrasharp seemed like a very decent upgrade.

FYI....my U2410 is the A01 revision that has fixed the color shift issues that effected some the original model.

My question is this. The monitor comes with a series of connection options and cables....HDMI, DVI and Display Port......which of these connection options would you recommend I use with the U2410 to make best use of my monitors capabilities for use solely on image editing ?

My reason for getting the monitor is also because I have decided to print some images, a select very few to recognize my first year of semi serious enthusiast shooting, I have about a dozen images I really like and want to make sure I will print what I see on my screen. I have my camera set to sRGB, lightroom to sRGB and will apply the same profile to my monitor....I just want to do what's right to get the prints I want.

Thanks guys.

2. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    All three options are digital, so there shouldn't be a difference. In fact, you can get cables to convert between HDMI and DVI. HDMI gear can occasionally have issues with digital copy protection, so you may want to use one of the other options instead.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    HDMI and DVI on such a screen will be electrically equivalent. DisplayPort is a different protocol but it's digital and pretty much the same. Use whatever you've got, as long as it's not VGA.

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    sRGB isn't too good for picture editing, especially with printing in mind. You'd rather work from RAW in 16bits/channel, and set your working colorspace to AdobeRGB (fairly standard) or ProphotoRGB (Kodak colorspace, a bit more difficult to manage).

Then, it depends on where you intend to have the prints done. You can convert your output in many formats / colorspace from your working image.

Understanding colorspaces is perhaps THE most difficult part of serious photo editing.

Cheers,

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks guys.
    Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be loosing out in some way color wise with any of the options.

Much appreciated.