Delkin Pop-up LCD hood for E-PL1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by angloasturian, Apr 5, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

As I've read quite a lot of comment on the difficulty of seeing the LCD screen in bright sunlight I'm considering buying the Delkin - I can get it for 9.99 GBP in the UK and get it sent to my parents free ( we'll be meeting up later this month in the Canary Islands).
    I should add that I've been using one on both my Panasonic FZ8 and Olympus E300 and find them excellent. But I would be interested to hear opinions if anyone has tried one - both in terms of results and aesthetics.

2. acmatos

acmatos Mu-43 Regular

Any thoughts about it?

Hi Colin!

Did you end up getting this?

Could you please comment on it? Is it useful in bright sunlight?

Cheers,

António Carlos

3. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Delkin Pop-up hood

Hi António. I finally bought the VF-2 which is absolutely brilliant - but unreasonably expensive. I found the Delkin certainly helped on my other cameras and is definitely better than nothing - at a reasonable price. If you can afford the VF-2 - buy it!

4. acmatos

acmatos Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the quick reply, Colin.

Yes, I've heard wonders about the VF-2 and I'm drooling over it, but the Panny 20mm is first on the list.

Meanwhile, I've been phising on Ebay the adapters to use my old lenses with my new E-PL1 and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Regards,

António Carlos

5. diesel604

diesel604 New to Mu-43

May 18, 2010
    RE: The Delkin popup LCD hood.

I didn't like the idea of a "naked" lcd - especially since it is BOTH your viewfinder and playback screen. (I envy the E-620/G1/GH1/G2 owners who can flip their screens inwards)

I did think of the flipbac but the 3" version is too big.

I installed the 2.7/2.8" version of the Delkin LCD hood and it surprisingly fits well!
    There isn't much mounting space on the left side of the E-PL1 frame around the LCD but it fits well. Its a bonus too that the LCD is recessed.

I like how the hood portion slides off if you don't need it and you still have the base and clear plastic protector on.

If you are clever enough you can install a shiny mirror on the large hood flap and slide it upside down to have a "poor man's flipbac"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[D]

• Like Like x 2
  6. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    I like it! I may have to pick one up (or variation thereof) for my GF-1. It would be handy for those times I don't have the EVF attached!

7. keikei07

keikei07 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 28, 2010
    I like the look of it too. But my concern is does it help you to view the LCD screen clearly during bright sun light? Have you tried it out during bright sun light? Thanks.

8. diesel604

diesel604 New to Mu-43

May 18, 2010
    keikei07,

It does help in bright sunny conditions. However the plastic protector in the base has no coating and provides a reflection of yourself. and somewhat reduced visibility but at least not washed out.

I have read that some people have popped off this plastic protector and it works better. (but it means you would have to re-apply the adhesive around the base.

The other solution would be the hoodman loupe mod.

[D]

9. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Comes out easy and if you are careful and don't get your fingers on the sticky stuff there is no problem re-applying the frame. It does make a world of difference.

If you do stuff up the sticky stuff, get some double-sided automotive badge and rubbing strip tape and trim pieces to fit. The stuff is only around 1mm thick and black and is very cheap.

10. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    I've ordered one of these and it sounds like I want to remove the base window before installing the unit, correct?

11. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    It would make sense to do it that way. I didn't but it still worked out OK.

12. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    I received the Delkin shade today and got it installed with no worries. The plastic window was glued rather heavily on one side but an Exacto knife inserted under the frame edge made short work of things.

Played with the shade a bit out in the yard and it really aids the use of the LCD. My E-PL1 will be seeing a good deal of kayak/canoe time and this is where I'll see the greatest benefit as I often cannot alter my position much to avoid the glare while paddling and composing.

The easy-to-remove aspect is great and the added protection will be welcome in the harsher environments.

Thanks to all for the heads-up on this product.

13. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Do note that while kayaking that little hood has a habit of getting knocked off very easily.

14. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    Yes, it certainly does.

Enthusiasm somewhat dampened.

15. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Especially if it winds up in the drink.