Deleting photo attachments

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Sammyboy, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Anyone know how to delete attachments from the "Home Folder" in the "File Upload Manager"?
    There doesn't seem to be a "delete or remove" button.
    I'm able to add attachments by using the "Add Files" button, that is not a problem.
    Also, I used to have a photo gallery, seems to have disappeared. Has this been lost due to the system update?

Thanks

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    When you hover over an attachment thumbnail, there should be a little "X" in the corner to click and delete the file.

As for the photo gallery, that should not have been affected by the latest system update. A couple of years ago (or more) we changed the gallery system from vBulletin's default albums over to Photopost Pro. The old albums were deleted. Again, this took place years ago.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Amin Sabet
    When you hover over an attachment thumbnail, there should be a little "X" in the corner to click and delete the file.

Amin, when I hover over an attachment thumbnail, the thumbnail enlarges to about 4 times its size. There is no little "X" in the corner to click. There is a "?" in the corner prior to hovering over an attachment thumbnail, but when I click on the "?", I get this message in a dialog box.
    The following errors occurred:
    This asset is not currently being used by any content that you have access to.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm not sure why that would be. Is deleting all attachments an option for you or are there some you'd like to keep?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Amin,
    I want to delete all my attachments that are shown in the "Home Folder". As far as I can see, there is no option to do this unless I'm overlooking something.

Thanks

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Still no answer to my inquiry in November, 2013 ........ Why is it you can not delete attachments from the FILE UPLOAD MANAGER ????

I want to delete all my attachments that are shown in the "Home Folder" located in the FILE UPLOAD MANAGER. As far as I can see, there is no option to do this unless I'm overlooking something.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't know what you are referring to. When I go to my attachments, I don't see anything designated as a home folder. Are you talking about the website or iPad/phone app? Can you post a screenshot?

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I'm taking about the web-site, I do not use the app. Here is a screen shot, I will not be able to delete this either.

Attachments
    Manage Attachments:

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 9.14.24 PM.jpg (87.2 KB)
    Valid file extensions: apk bmp cr2 doc gif jpe jpeg jpg lrtemplate mp3 orf pdf png psd rw2 txt zip
    Thanks.

https://www.mu-43.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have the same problem and would like to delete attachments that are duplicated. I can't find any way to do this.

10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Somewhat on-topic:

On Google Chrome (updated this week) on the iPad, I cannot drag my previously uploaded photos into the bottom area; drag-n-drop doesn't seem to be working at all.

That's with the standard version of the site; the mobile version does not seem to offer an image catalog.

Barry

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't think there is any way to delete attachments from the upload manager. I've always deleted attachments by going to Settings -> Attachments then checking off the attachments I want to delete and scrolling down to the bottom right and clicking "Delete Selected"

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi Barry, unfortunately I have no way to change the behavior of our forum software (or Google Chrome) until the developer updates it.

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The problem with that method, if I'm interpreting it correctly, is that it deletes active attachments, not ones that aren't being used because, for example, it's a duplicate. I'll see if I can remove a duplicate by attaching one to this thread and then removing it.

Duplicate:

Nope, it doesn't work. The attachment that I wanted deleted is still there should I want to post it again, even though it won't appear here.

14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    What happens when the 25MB capacity of the Upload Manager has been reached? There should be a way to delete everything in the Home Folder or delete the Home Folder and create a new one when needed.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The only way I know to clear attachment space is what I said a few posts up. If you delete all attachments there and wait about an hour, your upload manager should show as empty.

16. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Something about this doesn't make sense - unless there is absolutely no concern about server space.

It seems that because of the way the Upload "Manager" doesn't work,
    there could be multi-gigabytes of uploaded photos that users would like to delete but cannot.

The way Amin is describing it,
    the only options are to delete all attachments through the Settings/Misc/Attachment link -
    (which does not show inactive uploads) -
    or to just let the Home Folder get cluttered up with unused uploads.

The PhotoPost Pro software was switched to because it was supposed to be efficient and functional for managing photos.
    This isn't very efficient and certainly isn't functional.

If it really is the way it seems to be,
    maybe the forum moderators could request a feature improvement from PhotoPost to allow this functionality.
    This isn't some exotic feature -
    it's a very basic function to allow uploaded photos to be deleted if they are not used or needed.

On a related note, the Gallery FAQ doesn't seem to apply to the Gallery anymore.
    It references using a "Photo Options" button to do a whole raft of things in the Galleries -
    just about anything you'd need to do, in fact (including, to stay on topic, delete photos).
    Maybe I'm slow or blind, but I can't find that button anywhere.

I searched the Help Forum but only found one other thread asking about this -
    several months ago -
    and the guy didn't get any replies.

I'm really enjoying the Mu43 forum and this community -
    just trying to figure out how to use the interface. :confused:

Aloha, Stephen

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Did you try this?

Atatchments (vBulletin) are unrelated to the Gallery (Photopost)

18. Splitprism

Splitprism Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2013
    Angra, Brazil
    Try going to Gallery > my photos which brings up all your personal photos, click on the image you want to delete which will increase it to the original upload size, find the edit image option after which there is an option to delete that image, it's a bit long winded but it does work.

19. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Amin,
    Thanks, yes, I'm aware of that functionality.
    The problem is that the only photos listed there are photos which are in active use posted in a forum.
    Photos which are not being used are not accessible from there and logically, it is those one would want to delete.
    I understand that this is probably a limitation of the software and not in your control.
    It just seems strange that an attachment manager would let you upload images but not delete them.
    It's such a simple and obvious thing.
    (And thanks for your patience with us newbies - I know it must get repetitive at times.)

Splitprism -
    :dancingparty: Thank you, thank you, oh joy, oh joy.
    All the functions in the gallery I wanted and I just had to make my pictures big.
    There should be a little message in the thumbnail gallery that says "Click thumbnails to enlarge and edit images" or some such.
    The information you provided would be helpful in the Gallery FAQ also.

I also didn't know the Gallery and the Attachment Manager were from different software packages.
    Thanks for the info.

Aloha.

20. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... this may work for photo's in "my Gallery", but does not work for photo's that are "attachments". Photo's that are uploaded as attachments will not show up in my gallery.

Do this simple test:
    1. post a reply
    2. select "Go Advanced"
    3. under "Additional Options" select "Manage Attachments" ..... refer to the the attached screen-shot
    4. upload a photo from your computer and post your reply.
    5. now TRY to delete the attachment (photo) you just uploaded thru the FILE UPLOAD MANAGER by clicking on the "Manage Attachments" button.

As far as I can see, there is no option to delete unless I'm overlooking something.

Attached Files: