Default shutter speed to low?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bee, May 18, 2012.

1. bee

bee Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2012
    I have a GF1 and the 1/30 second shutter speed is way to slow for my usage. Is there a way to change this in camera? I know I could manually raise ISO but that is an annoying solution.

Is there a m4/3 that you can preset a minimum shutter speed, or somehow has a solution to this?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What mode are you using? Aperture Priority? Program? iAuto?
    Why don't you just use Shutter Priority?

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    turn the top dial to "S" for Shutter priority mode....then select the shutter speed you want to use and the camera will set the aperture for you.

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Would be nice to be able to set aperture and a minimum shutter speed, then let Auto ISO take care of the rest. Is that possible on some m43 bodies? I know X100 will do that.

5. bee

bee Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2012
    Right now I am in aperture mode 90% of the time. I would rather not switch to shutter priority if I don't have to.

Edit* just saw the post above mine, thats what I am looking for. He explained it better then I did.

6. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    i loved this function on the X100 as well.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Aperture Priority with custom shutter speed settings? Nope, not possible.

I think Shutter Priority with Auto ISO will take care of the bee's needs though.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Expand your horizons and live a little. :) The different modes are there to better suit different applications and purposes. If your need is for a minimum shutter speed, then Shutter Priority is simply the best mode to be in. It will be better to learn all the capabilities of your camera, not just one.

If you need a minimum shutter speed, chances are that you do not have a limit on Aperture Size but want to get the highest quality photo you can using the lens you have mounted. Shutter Priority with Auto ISO will do this for you. It will open up your aperture as much as needed to retain that minimum shutter speed, then when you have reached the maximum capacity of your lens it will then start to bump the ISO (which will keep the shutter speed but start to degrade quality).

If you require a certain shutter speed to stop action or camera shake, but still care about retaining the best picture quality, then you never want to start bumping ISO before you've reached maximum aperture. Bumping ISO should be a last resort. In that situation you don't need to manually set the aperture, as you will just be opening it as much as necessary to retain shutter speed. The X100's system will come into play only if you require a deep DOF at the same time as stopping motion, and that need for deep DOF outweighs the need for clean picture quality.

9. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Not possible or just not implemented? What I described is fully implemented on X100; see no reason why it couldn't be part of the m43 feature set...

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Definitely possible, just not implemented. :)

The X100 is the anomaly with this setting though, so I think it would be a bit of a miracle if other manufacturers like Olympus and Panasonic adopted it. Even if it were just added to the menu settings, that would not take any re-working of the shooting functions.

11. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Yes, probably on the list that doesn't make the cut - like Auto ISO in M mode.

I'm glad it's on the X100, though. I have it set for min shutter speed of 1/60 second, max ISO of 1600. Keeps me out of trouble most of the time without being too constraining.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I'm all for manual customization whereever it can be done. :) This would definitely qualify for that. If you went into a scene mode like sports/action, then the camera would know to use a faster minimum shutter speed. So what if you want to tell the camera that your personal needs generally require that faster minimum?

But these are the quirks of camera manufacture we have to live with...

13. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    That is the single most missed feature from my former DSLRs. Either Pentax or Canon. I can set a shutter speed that will keep things from bluring while riding on a car or bus, an aperture a notch above wide open, for maximum image quality, and let auto ISO handle light changes.
    Sadly not present in any Panny.:frown:

14. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    +you can do it on oly bodies by setting the flash sync speed. whatever you set as the slowest flash speed, that's the speed it bumps up the ISO at whether or not you are using a flash. I don't know if this works on panny bodies, as I have no experience with them, but it's worth a shot.

hth

15. bee

bee Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2012
    To bad the Panasonic hacks are limited to video. I would love to be able to add some features or even take some away to reduce clutter in the menus.

Do any of the m43 cameras default to a higher shutter speed like 1/60th in aperture mode? I could really use a minimum shutter speed that would work with the 45mm lens for hand held use.

Edit* ill dawg I will give it a shot

16. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    In't that what iISO (intelligent ISO) does? I do not know the GF1 but my GF2 and GH2 do have iISO.

17. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  18. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    GF1 does have iISO. However, it looks like you can't specify a minimum shutter speed;you rely on the camera to adjust ISO to avoid camera shake - whatever the shutter speed might need to be. I've never tried it, but it's worth looking into. Thanks for that!

19. bee

bee Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2012
    Ah turns out the camera is smarter then I thought. If you have it set to Auto ISO it will default to 1/30th with the 20mm, and 1/60th with the 45mm. It will drop below those speed defaults once you hit the maximum ISO that you set, that's what was throwing me off.
    The intelligent ISO setting is apparently not intelligent as it will drop shutter speed way down to lets say 1/25 with the 45mm and only have the ISO at 400.

So what is the point of Intelligent ISO function vs auto? Or is the I-ISO broken on the gf1 and works better on the newer cameras?

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada