1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

DeepSkyStacker - Retaining Original Colour Balance, Contrast & Exposure

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by AG_Alex2097, Apr 25, 2016.

1. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Dear knowledgeable people of the internet, the output file DeepSkyStacker generates wildly differs in colours, contrast and exposure from my original images, does anyone know how to retain the same colour curves & exposure?

I have applied the "use camera white balance" setting under the RAW file settings which affects the previews, but apparently not the output file :/

Short background:
    The reason i need this is to blend a starry sky aligned in Photoshop with the one from DeepSkyStacker. The reason i need to that is because i have a large foreground subject crossing my starscape which creates large smears when stacked in DeepSkyStacker, in Photoshop i made a mask to filter out this subject so that i could stack the frames without the foreground subject causing a mess (DeepSkyStacker doesn't support transparency unfortunately), however, Photoshop only did a mediocre alignment in this area which caused the starscape to be rather blurry, now i would like to blend the 2 together where i mask out the smears from DSS and have it filled up with he slightly blurry photoshop stack.

To blend the 2 smoothly, i need the same colour balance, contrast and exposure in both pictures though, which is my problem, as shown here:
    e2c5205c9adc8ef575c6b76cb795bbb2.
    Left: DeepSkyStacker with nice and sharp starscape, but smeared chair lift
    Right: Photoshop stack with mediocre starscape around the chair lift area, but no smears

I have done manual tweaking of the DeepSkyStacker image, but can never get a perfect match and blending is always visible between the 2
    My attempt at manual match:
    Gyazo - 794d1d43740560a321296823f71b2716.png
    Gyazo - 0d6dbf7b63b11893b8071ff2136d8101.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Try cloudynights Astro image forum

I

• Like Like x 1
  3. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Good resource, guess i'll go bug them :p
    Though if anyone knows the answer here, feel free to post ;)

4. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I am really impressed by your perseverance on this image. I would probably have given up long ago and just chosen an easier subject. Your threads have also so far created really interesting discussions. Sorry I can't add anything to the actual matter at hand, but I felt this needed to be said. Most people would just give up after the first few issues.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    I don't often get the chance to do Astrophotography as i live in the most light polluted country of Europe, thus i have to make do with what i got :p

I don't think it's hopeless either, this is what i have so far: Gyazo - 180fcc740100165a66d64ea48270c9aa.png (ignore the fuzziness of the screencap)
    I'm pretty happy with it, but there's some spots that don't look right which i'd like to fix (around the chair lift)

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I gave up on this particular issue - it's not just WB, the entire tonality of the stack is different as DSS uses a different demosaic algorithm, outputs straight to 32-bit floating point format, etc. I just do both stacks in DSS. With a tripod you don't need to align the foreground at all, just disable alignment for that stack.

7. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Yeah, i'd love to do that, but i need the Photoshop aligned one as well to blend the 2 unfortunately, i found a video on youtube that allows you to do an approximation match which led to the result in my previous post, but as it's an approximation, it's not perfect and the method is really tedious, something you don't want to try to perfect, linky here for those interested:

I'll continue tweaking it manually, but will definitely avoid subjects crossing the starscape in the future :dash2: