Dee Why at night

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by squeegee, Apr 13, 2011.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I know you've all been wondering what Dee Why looks like at night :smile:

This is a picture looking south east out to sea, effectively everything was pitch black and I couldn't frame the picture nor focus at all other than with a dot of light coming from some ones expensive cliff side home.

This picture was also taken in pitch dark with best guess at framing and focus, it's looking out towards Longreef.

This picture is a wide panorama of Dee Why beach and it's shops, slightly over exposed and a little blurry but I'd already accidentally stepped knee high into the Tasman sea at 11:30pm and didn't want to push my luck...
    • Like Like x 11
  2. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    A torch helps prevent the accidently stepping into the wet stuff. :wink:

Great series. The like the panorama the best.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Well done, you gotta be happy with that.
    Looks like there was no surf at Dee Why.
    How long were the exposures?
  4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I know I could have done better but it was late at night, the wind was blowing so the camera was moving a bit even on the tripod (because I have a tiny cheap one).

This was around 11:30pm so the surf is almost always pretty mellow at that hour, it was about half a metre at the time.

The panorama was a 10 second exposure due to the lights all over. The other two were 60 second exposures. It really was pitch black, looking with the naked eye, you couldn't see anything at all, everything was just black with a few spots of light so I was surprised the images came out with so much detail. Focusing was totally guess work as the lcd live view was just black too and there's no scale or anything on the focus-by-wire system.
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    You could've been eaten by sharks or Ninjas!
    Great pictures ... even better considering you couldn't see what you were doing.
  6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Drop Bears are even worse!:eek:

G'day Squeegeee. Did you drive there in your ute? haha

I'm really liking that panorama. The shore, the clouds, the reflection in the water. Drop dead nice.
  7. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

All are great shots and thanks for posting them!
  8. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    squeegee - nice shots. very nice.

if i may ask, which camera/lens combo were you using?
  9. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    lol, I wish I had a ute, I'm car-less right now, I was thinking of buying a proton-jumbuck (yes I know they're ridiculous) :redface:, just so I could tote my motorcycle around.... but something about buying a car for my motorcycle didn't seem right.

If I had that ute with all those spotties on it, I wouldn't have had to use long exposures and I wouldn't have stepped into the ocean :rofl:

E-P1 + 17mm lens, still the only lens I've got... waiting for oly to get some faster lens' out...