Dedicated camcorder that can take stills, or m43/slr/p&s that can take video?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gundam83, Jul 13, 2011.

1. gundam83

gundam83 New to Mu-43

May 10, 2011
    My cousin just had a baby and wants to start shooting video of her. Now she already has an iphone 4 which visually takes great video, but like all small handheld HD recorders, bumps and shakes are easily translated to film. So now she is looking at a dedicated camcorder. I haven't looked at camcorders in 10 years so I don't even know where to start. Here criteria:

1. $500-700
    2. HD video
    3. Taking good still pictures is a huge plus

Now are there any digital cameras in this price range that take great video as well (and don't suffer from the "shakes")? Or is she better off going with a dedicated camcorder that has the capability to take decent stills? She really likes my GF2 for still pictures, but I don't think too highly of the video mode. Are there other m43 cameras that do a better job at shooting video?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    GH2

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One point to clarify is whay is intended to be done with the HD video? Sometimes getting it onto a DVD is not so straightforward.

We usually just watch it on the computer and sometimes stream (might need to transcode to suitable AVI) to the TV. For DVD I have to transcode either MOD or MOV, edit and burn to DVD which takes quite a bit of extra work than a direct to DVD ability.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    GH1 + hack.

5. gundam83

gundam83 New to Mu-43

May 10, 2011
    Is the GH series better than the new G3 when it comes to video?

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Only in terms of image quality.