1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

decoration ring for 40-150 pro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by daveinamblerpa, Apr 30, 2016.

1. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

Hi,
    Sorry if this has been discussed before. I've always have been annoyed by the attachment rivets for the tripod collar when it is not being used. I found this accessory at B and H . It's called an

Olympus DECORATION RING DR-66 40150PRO

It covers the rivets and makes the lens easier to hold and looks great BTW love that lens.

Dave

• Like Like x 2
  2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've just seen that too and it sounds like an outstanding solution to the annoying metal studs that dig into your fingers. I saw one for the new 300mm F4.0 Pro lens too. Thanks for pointing this out!
    Bobby

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    How easy or hard is it to remove the collar/foot?

--Ken

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Same question. Also, does the decoration ring lock on the lens?

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  5. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    A silicone Livestrong band works as well. For philosophical reasons, I use my wife's BCRF pink band. There is nothing subtle about it but it reminds me to enjoy capturing the moment . . .

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

Ken,Bobby.The Decoration ring fits on like the tripod collar. You turn it until it snaps on . Very secure

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks Dave, I'm glad Olympus gives us the option to switch to a more comfortable hold on a largish lens.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I just spin the tripod mount to the top of the lens - that is if I am not using it as a connection point for my black rapid strap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kiwirobfinland

kiwirobfinland Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    rob
    my 300 mm f4 came with the decoration ring in the box nice to know there is one for the 40-150mm

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    That's a good point you brought up. I was thinking of getting this lens and because I rarely shoot on a tripod I thought the tripod foot would be in the way. I always carry my EM1 (w/ HLD7 grip) on a Peak Design Sling Strap over the shoulder and lenses in a small bag. I was thinking that I'd switch my attachment anchor from the cameras right strap lug to the HLD7s' bottom connection slot but that would only relieve the stress on the right strap lug but might (?) be too much of a load on the lens mount. Gee now I have to rethink this whole idea.
    At these prices Olympus should include the decoration ring in the 40-150 F2.8 box also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    My 40-150 usually has the tripod foot off and I usually use a Peak Design Cuff. However when I do carry it with Slide Strap, I use the tripod foot and standard plates attached to it and the camera. I have never been bothered by the tripod mount bolts, so I have never seen it as an issue.

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What is the trick to getting the existing collar off of the lens? The screw only loosens a bit and the collar does not have enough clearance to come off of the lens. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

13. quickeye

quickeye Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Terry
    Once the collar is loose just rotate it until the foot is pointing up then the collar will slide off the back of the lens.

Terry

14. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Wow! Take off the hood and collar and the lens become a whole lot smaller. I was torn between this lens and the 35-100 because the latter is so much smaller for travel. But, I could pick up a collapsible rubber hood for ultralight travel and would probably find the difference in size between the two to be much less significant, especially since the 35-100 is not a cheap lens and would overlap the focal range and maximum aperture of the 40-150.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I use these on my old 50-200mm as an anti-lens-creep device when carrying my camera with the lens pointed down. Mine tends to creep out and I use one of those charity bands to hold the zoom ring in place when not actively shooting.

Does the 40-150 PRO experience creep or have a lock on it?

16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm trying out the Olympus 40-150mm Pro F2.8 zoom lens and it does not have any zoom creep even though the weight of the lens is mostly toward the front of the lens. Yes, the lens is much smaller without the tripod foot and the hood mounted but most will probably keep these on the lens because they're so well designed and so very functional. The lens is optically superb IMHO it's one of the best lenses and might be the best zoom available for m43s'.
    Now I'm doing my ultimate test, how long can I carry this mounted on my E-M1 without fatigue?
    PS, there is no lock on the zoom ring because it just doesn't need it.

• Agree Agree x 1