1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Decisons

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by photoeagle, Feb 6, 2016.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    In the past month I have been researching a wide variety of cameras including DSLRS. I began to think about the last DSLR I had a Nikon D40. How much unenthusiastic I was about that camera. It was not a take anywhere camera.

Reading through the posts here by the members and asking questions (which everyone has graciously answered). Members are enjoying the cameras of their choice, they are having fun shooting pictures.

I realized that I want a take everywhere camera, I want to have fun taking pictures doing it. I remember the fun I had shooting a rangefinder a long time ago.

The system format has been decided my next camera will be a MU4/3. Now the difficult task of of choosing a camera hmmmm.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Curious, why did you dislike your D40? I had one of those as well, back in the day. If portability is your main concern, you really can't beat the GM5.

GM5•EM10•17/2.8•25/1.8•60/2.8

3. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I was where you were a week ago. Then I bought a Ricoh GR. It's the real deal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    What FL do you favor? The GR and its rivals are great if you like that wide angle. Also, do you just want this camera to be small or actually pocketable ?

5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Sounds like a Pen F. The art dial is fun. In the digital age you can take 100 versions of every scene of you like so why not snap your serious raw then have some fun with arty jpg pics with a beautiful ranger hinder like camera with modern features and the ability to use many lenses.

I'm an om-d lover, but if I was looking for a walk around camera I'd give the F a look.

6. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    The D40 was bulky and cumbersome. It was not a camera you could with you anywhere, ie. hiking. Yes portability is part of the equation but most of all I believe shooting with MU4/3 will be enjoyable.

7. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    The two cameras that I am thinking about are EM*10 and a G7. I'm not looking for a pocketable camera but a camera that I can slip in my backpack for hiking.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The D40 isn't much bigger (or heavier) than the models you're mentioning. If you truly want portability then look at one of the Panasonic GM models (feels like I'm over-recommending them lately, which is weird, and unintentional).

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I have two cameras and lenses sets for hiking:
    - when my primary objective is shooting, I pick EM1 plus Pany 12-35 and some other lens depends on subject (fish-eye, UWA or tele)
    - when actual hike is primary and I want camera for "just in case", then I pick GM5+12-32.

10. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    There's not much difference in size between the G7 and D40. The E-M10 is smaller, however. Of course, when you add equivalent lenses, the size difference will be more pronounced.

Front view: Compact Camera Meter

Top view: Compact Camera Meter

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi
    I moved to m43 in about 2009 because I was sort of sick of the bulk of an EOS and wanted the sorts of images that larger sensors gave with the convenience of a compact camera weight.

I bought a Panasonic G1 which is in many ways like your target.

No matter which you buy I'm sure you'll be please with the results. Compared to "full frame" (35mm sized) the DoF and other aspects of the image are quite good on m43, especially with nice lenses such as the 25mm f1.7/1.8 around. There are good zooms and to my mind its really hard to go past the Panasonic 14-45 as a do everything lens. It was the lens which came with my G1 and its still my "go to" lens when using an SLRish body.

I also have a GF camera and love the pancake 14 and 20mm on that. Really gives images which remind me of my old range finder 35mm camera (which had a fixed 40mm lens).

The 45mm f1.8 is also great and those three weigh so little in my bag I usually carry the other 2 in my bag with the GF in my hand.

:)

14mm
    11305097684_76653fb202_b.

20mm
    rabbitProofFenceL.

45mm
    15719382033_cd730c5415_b.

• Like Like x 1
  12. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    For those that switched from a DSLR, what was your deciding factor?

13. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Easy...they killed the 4/3 DSLR. I had to switch.

14. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Im with @pellicle@pellicle on this one. For me, it was my trip to the national parks in Utah in 2011.

I wanted to travel with two camera bodies and enough lenses to shoot both the landscapes but more importantly my family. As I was shooting D700's back then, by the time the equipment load grew quickly.

I brought an all in one zoom (not my favoriate), a couple of primes (wide and middle) for scenes and evening street, fisheye, flash, etc. ALSO, back then I needed a video camera as the D700 didn't cover this.

Here's a pic of me and the wife hiking The Virgin River in Zion. I'm wearing to rented waterproof cases...one for the camera and one for the video ... and not carrying nearly all the gear.

Even when not needing the waterproof packs the general camera bag was more than twice the weight of my currentl Olympus setup... and that doesn't even include the small video camera I brought with me. With my gear today, I could do that hike with just that small pack on my chest!

So, my search began for the smallest setup that could do video and had a great lens selection. This is where the Olympus really shines with IBIS and even the Panasonics with on lens stabilization... especially for off the cuff family video.

While there might be better brands of bodies/chips out there in raw terms, resolution and noise don't matter if you don't have your camera with you. To top it off, nothing matched the lens selection m4/3 had (and still does) from what I saw compared to Sony and the likes.... unless I go back to the Nikon/Canon world.

I have absolutely no regrets and continue to love the system. The biggest benefit is I now carry the camera in my work bag daily as with a single prime the camera tucks away nicely for lunch-time outings in the city.

BTW, I still shoot full frame Nikon gear professionally (D750's)... but my m4/3 gear for fun...which I think says it all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I've become very enthusiastic about light weight portability. I have some very high quality 4/3s DSLR lenses that I use when I'm taking a specific and planned photo and I want the highest quality possible. However the more I use my E-M10 and the kit lens (Yes, the KIT lens!), the more delighted I am in this basic lightweight and small set up. I'm thinking of adding a couple of WA primes since I am a bit of a WA sort of photographer.

My E-M10 and kit lens goes almost everywhere with me except to the gym. That is not an environment that is open to candid photography. That's a shame really.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    That and I was getting tired of trying to cram my photography fear into my work bag and sprint through the airports

• Like Like x 1