1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Decison

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by photoheron, Jul 13, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    The past month I have asked questions, to learn about the micro 4/3 cameras.
    I have also looked at the mirror less no 4/3 cameras. I have decide that I want to venture into the mirror less 4/3 world.

My budget can not afford the higher end cameras. Looking at the mid ranged priced cameras. What ever camera body I buy it will be the foundation of system, that will include several lens. I will build my system slowly.

I'm a photo hobbyist and love taking pictures of the world around me whether it is an old building, birds, nature, flowers or street.

I have mainly have narrowed my choices to a G-5 or an Olympus E-PL5 or ?
    Any thoughts?

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    The lenses are the foundation of your system. In the digital age, cameras come and go, but good lenses last a long time. If your budget it tight, consider a used camera.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Agreed - or check and see if the GX1 is still on sale...

4. William Stanwood

William Stanwood New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    You can get a great buy on a Panasonic GX-1 body right now. It's a great camera, and you can start to add lenses as you need them. Best of luck!

5. William Stanwood

William Stanwood New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    One other thing... Although it adds some expense, the accessory viewfinder makes a huge difference the GX-1's usability in my experience.

6. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    The G5 is a great camera with lots of features and it has the efv. I just picked one up 2 weeks ago for $310 on Amazon, body only, but I also have several m4/3 lens that I use on a G1, GH1 and GF3.

7. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    Thanks for the help. GX1 body plus what lens to start out with?

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's a little backwards. The lenses are the foundation to any camera system, with the body being an accessory to support those lenses. Bodies are also much more disposable, quickly becoming obsolete and wearing out. Building a foundation on a body would mean a very weak foundation.

So in order to give you good advice on a body, it would be more important to know what lenses you intend on buying first, then what is left over in your budget after that.

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's really not backwards at all, because he can't take any photos without a camera, and ANY m4/3 camera can use the same lenses.

For me, I'd pick the G-5. In fact, I did.

10. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    If your budget doesn't stretch to the OMD EM5 then go with the G5. This is an amazing camera for a great price and I doubt you will need to upgrade it for quite some time.

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Two reasonably good choices in the mid-point in terms of cost. Now, two questions for you. Are you expecting to shoot through an EVF? If so, then that cost needs to be added to the price of the E-PL5 (a camera that I currently use). Second, are you planning to shoot raw or jpeg? If jpeg, then I would give the edge to Olympus, as their OOC images often seem to be preferred to those from Panasonic. There are a number of other considerations if you are just looking at these two camera bodies, but these two came immediately to mind.

Also, see if you can find a nice refurbished E-PL5 packaged up with a lens or two. This was how I started my system, albeit with an E-PL2, and then I acquired my lenses with the "savings".

Good luck,

--Ken

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I think Panasonic gets a no-longer deserved bad rap for the quality of the out-of-camera JPEGs. Their older cameras may have suffered in this regard, but their current ones are fine. As someone who has used Olympus bodies in 4/3, and then the E-PL2 as well, I would say that the G5's out of camera JPEGs are competitive.

To me, the issue of the viewfinder should make the OP's decision about which of those two cameras to buy - if he will mainly WANT a viewfinder, get the G5. If he prefers to compose off the LCD, get the E-PL5 for the more sensitive sensor and IBIS.

13. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I agree that G5 is a really good choice. And it has a viewfinder, so no need to add one.

For lenses, start with the kit lens and add from there. You'll quickly realize which you need to add. It took me over a year to get the lenses I wanted. (I used the kit for a little while, then added 100-300, 45 macro, and 7-14, in that order.)

14. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    I have have never shot without a viewfinder but it would not be a deal breaker. The cost of a viewfinder would to be added cost. I have only shot in JPEG, I would like to experiment with raw. What other bodies could I consider in the mid range

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It seems like all of the good G3 deals are long gone, so you could keep looking at G5, as well as GX1, deals from Panasonic. If you do not mind refurbished, Cameta has a large stock of Olympus units, both 12MP and 16MP bodies. The former can be had quite cheaply, but the latter is the current generation sensor. I have shot images with an E-PL2 that I have blown up to 20x30, so the 12MP sensor is not exactly lacking, but having said that, the 16MP sensor is still an improvement. Much of your choice should depend on the size of output for images that you plan on printing, and your specific needs for higher ISO and dynamic range.

--Ken