1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Decisions...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dixeyk, Jul 21, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a G2 and an E-P1 and I like them both for different reasons. Now due to financial instability I am selling off some of my unused gear. I sold off a number of lenses and some accessories that weren't getting much use and now that I have gone through that I am starting to look at the rest of the gear and trying to determine if there is anything that I really COULD part but that I am holding on to to for reasons other than the fact that I use them a lot.

During this exercise I did find out some interesting bits such as the fact that the two lenses I would not part with for any reason are my Panasonic 20 and my OM 24/2.8. After that it could all go and I really wouldn't miss it.

Where is has been really interesting is the m43 bodies. I really like my E-P1. I'm not sure if I like it more for it's design or as a camera but I like it. I had up until now figured that the G2 was my AF camera and the E-P1 was my walking about camera. turns out to be quite the opposite. As a walk around, shooting quickly and spontaneously the G2 is king. It's fast, unobtrusive, comfortable and a really nice on the go creative tool. If I were traveling it would be the G2 all the way. Also, if you are letting the camera do any decision making the G2 is miles ahead (AF, WB, metering...you name it). Where the E-P1 shines is in full manual with a MF lens. It forces you to stop and consider things. You have to make decisions and be careful. It has it's place and some times I really like taking it out. In the end I am lucky that I can keep both (perhaps helped by the fact the E-P1 isn't worth all that much).

Thankfully I am not in such a dire position where I need to liquidate everything but it has been enlightening to go through the thought process.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    First, let me say that I sympathize and empathize with your need to lighten the load due to financial instability. Most of us have been there at one time or another. But the process can be highly educational. The truth is, almost all of us can get by quite nicely with one camera body and one or two lenses. A second body is really a luxury... albeit a useful one. I have both a micro four-thirds kit and a more-traditional Pentax DSLR kit... plus a Panasonic LX3. It's an embarressment of riches, really, for which I am eternally grateful.

3. The E-P1 has autofocus, metering, and white balance issues?!?

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't recall saying "issues" That would imply something is wrong with the E-P1. I think what I said is if you're letting the camera do all the decision making (in full auto) the G2 is better at it than the E-P1 and I'll stand by that. The G2 has faster AF, and IMHO better auto WB and is less likely to overexpose. Now when I shoot the E-P1 and exercise control over things I'd say it's on a par with the G2 or any of the m43 bodies really. I even think it holds up well with the stuff I've seen out of the new E-P3.

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Difficult decision

Such decisions are difficult. Depending on how you use your cameras (business or hobby), keeping both bodies might be justified having the 2nd as a backup in case one goes down.

How about picking 10 of your favorite (best quality) photos and see which camera took them If one camera was clearly used more frequently over the other you'll at least know which one did best for you.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think that only tells you which camera you had on you when presented with great photo opportunities ...

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Funny, but I like the G2 for manual focus lenses. I have trouble using the E-P1 screen for focusing because I use reading glasses and the G2's diopter adjustment carries the day. I find that the E-p1 has sufficiently fast AF with firmware 1.4, but I agree that the AWB makes some bad choices in bright sunlight.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Still works to some extent. The camera you tend to carry when opportunities present themselves says much about what your particular style leads you to.

9. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry to hear of the financial challenges.

I am glad to hear that you have found some good, in examining your photography and gear needs.

One thing to consider. Both are good cameras. You know how to use them and get the best from them. The reality is, neither is the latest camera, and both are available for very low prices. If you were to sell one, would the cash gained make a significant difference to you?

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Luckily my financial challenges are not forcing me to liquidate everything. But being under the constant threat of layoff does make one try an be prepared. Over the next few months things should even out. We (the university where I work) have been told that things should start to stabilize over the next year. We do know that my wife is going to permanent half time and with a bit of luck I'll only have to deal with pay reduction (which we KNOW is coming) and not more. As far as I'm concerned...I've been through worse. Ten years ago I was fighting cancer and lost my business, home, car, savings and retirement (even WITH decent insurance). A layoff is a cake walk by comparison.

I've managed to sell some lenses and I have dug up a few more to sell off. Turns out when you really start to consider this stuff you realize you can get by with a lot less. I realized that I coud be perfectly content with my Panasonic 20 and either body. I may have some personal preferences but in truth there is much less difference between cameras that any of us would like to believe. For me the E-P1 and G2 would both be fine. One may be a bit easier in some situations and the other one in different ones. even the things I might prefer (like the EVF or IBIS or what-have-you) really don't make THAT much of a difference.

Really, if I had to choose I'd be fine with either. To be honest I'd probably sell the one I could get the most for. Lenses I'd be a bit more picky with as they play a much bigger part of the equation. First off I'd get rid of most the legacy glass. It's fun to play with but if I were faced with needing to really get rid of as much as I could I could live without it. I'd probably just keep a few lenses. Likely the Panasonic 14 and 20 and MAYBE the 45-200

That said, I don't need to get that crazy just yet. Clearing out the stuff I'm not using is good enough for the time being. Getting more streamlined with my gear is also good. I think just thinking about this stuff and getting some perspective is good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    No probably not. I have a couple of spendy legacy lenses that would bring in more money and they'd go first. I have pretty much decided to keep both unless circumstances deteriorate (and at the moment I don't see them getting that bad)

12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Dixeyk - hang in there; my division is going through the same process right now, and they've actually put our business up for sale. Coincidentally I am supposed to be spending time right now applying for new job openings elsewhere in the company....:43: is a welcome distraction!

I also have been going through a culling process with my equipment, more because I want to stay as "cash neutral" as I can through all the :43: purchases I've made, with the objective of having the only real money out be what I paid for my first :43: piece of kit, the E-P1. I've created two grids already. listing out the most common types of photographic subjects I take, and then list which body/lenses I use the most for each area. Pieces of kit that don't show up on the grid enough times then go into the "to sell" list. I've been through two sales already, but still need to do one sale more to make up for my most recent lens purchases. My biggest problem is I am far too sentimental and can find all sorts of justifications for one lens or another (or for keeping my E-500 even if I have not used it since I bought the E-P1 and E-PL1). Anyway, a few of the legacy lenses that keep landing on the "to sell" section may be showing up in the forum classifieds soon!

Good luck with the job and the culling of your kit! :thumbup:

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Are we related? That all sounds so familiar. I have a couple of pieces of gear that I hang on to because of sentimentality that I doubt I have used in months. I'm also applying for a job elsewhere at the university. If I get it it would mean more security.

14. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    If I went ahead and bought the G2 like I planned, then it would really be like something from the Twilight Zone!

I just posted on another thread that my wife has become another reason why I can't sell the E-P1; after I started using my used PL1 for most of my shots, I left the P1 on her desk and hid her old, not-quite-functioning P&S. Now she shoots all her stills and video on it.

More than anything, however, the P1 is my first :43:, and in the same way, the E-500 is my first (and only) DSLR. How can you part with such cameras?

15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Ahh...the E-500...that brings back memories. That was anice camera as I recall. Great color.

• Like Like x 1