1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Decisions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by traveler_101, Feb 25, 2010.

1. traveler_101

traveler_101 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I'm thinking about ditching my E-420 and going over to a Pen. I really like the looks and concept of the camera. Furthermore, size is an important consideration (it's why I was attracted to Olympus in the first place), and there seems to be some evidence that the EP-1 takes at least as good, if not better, photographs than the E-420. Anyway the first decision I face is whether to hold on to my E-420 or just sell it with the possibility that at some future date I could go back to an SLR if I don't like the micro43rds camera. It's not as if I have a huge investment in glass: 25mm pancake, the 14-42 kit lens and an OM 50mm/1.8. :biggrin:

Second I have to decide which Pen. I fell instantly in love with the EP-1 but I've been put off by the lack of a viewfinder: it raises the question of whether I can learn to compose on a screen. On the other hand I don't like the looks of the EVF on the E-P2: it ruins the lines of the camera. There's a steep price difference too. (Don't care much for the E-PL1). I've been scanning the boards for opinions about the EVF and they are sharply divergent. Some say they don't really use it, while others say 'don't leave home without it'. Is it really worth forking over another 300 American to get it? :cool:

Third I have decide about lenses. I greatly prefer the 25mm pancake on my E-420 over the 14-42. I presume then that I should buy the camera (which ever one) with the 17mm pancake then? Though I've never used a fixed 35mm POV, many people seem to prefer it. I also need a wide angle lens (possibly the soon to be released 9-18 micro which I assume would be the best choice for the camera?). Yes, it sounds as if the Pansonic 20mm/1.7 is ideal but that seems to be a rather expensive taste when you compare it to the 17mm bundled as part of the camera kit. What about using my current lenses on the Pen? Any good results with the 25mm or the :43: 14-42 zoom? Is there anything else that is reasonably priced that I might acquire to give me some reach?

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to mu-43.com traveler101, glad you found your way in here.:biggrin:

You're not alone in all these decisions. If you haven't yet, you might want to read this thread on the EVF: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=820

Many considerations go into making the decision... The EVF is removable and gives you a choice.:thumbup: I went back and forth due to the money until I actually went and held both in my hands and used the EVF - for me that was the deal maker...but it all depends upon one's needs.

I'm sure if you read through this forum a bit, others will post soon as to why they made the choice they did.

P.S. Here's another good thread - if you haven't already read these two E-P2 reviews by Kirk Tuck and Steve Huff: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=370

3. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    E420 to pen

My first DSLR was an E420 + 14-42 kit, i bought it for hiking because it was the lightest available DSLR and i wasnt satisfied with my compact photos.
    I didnt regret it, i have photos from Iceland and Greenland printed up to A3 books, and i love to see them once in a while.
    I had no other lens and as i was on the verge of buying some i decided to switch to microfourthird before.

I now use a EPL2, the weight saving is noticable ( about 100g) but not as much as the downsizing.
    I wanted the EVF option as i shoot mostly outdoors, but i will probably buy soon the pana 20mm to have a not too intrusive camera ( without EVF ) for street or family photography.

After using for a short while my EP2 i gave my E420 to a family member as it was clear i wont use it anymore, but if i had the E620 i was on the verge to buy some time ago and lets say some tele zoom i would probably have kept it.

As for the lens i choosed the 14-42 and not the 17mm because i am planning to buy the pana 20mm instead. If you dont the 17mm should be very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. traveler_101

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks . . .

. . . for the links, BBW. I have to admit that the peek through the EVF was impressive. :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

Well, for me it was but I need that option for both the fact that I wear glasses and I figured it would help me in focusing my OM-1 lenses...which I have yet to use for a variety of reasons.:wink:

I know it's tough...and if it's not that tough...the go for the E-P1. For me once I used the EVF it made my decision, along with making me spend more $$ but it allows me to use the camera the way I want/need to.

Different choices for us all, eh?

6. traveler_101

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I hope that a slim pancake will make the Pen fit into my briefcase. The 420 even with the pancake was too wide to fit there.

I like hiking also and plan on bringing it into the mountains. Obviosuly weight is an important factor as in travel. I'm wondering do you find yourself using the EVF all the time?

7. BBW

Hey, Fred49 - I hadn't seen your post! Welcome to the board and to the land of :43:!

Have to agree on the 20mm 1.7 that is the route I went to (yes, traveler101, more greenbacks out of the wallet for me) because I like natural light.

There are some who are managing to buy the used body only and then go for whatever lens they want, but I'm guessing these Pen bodies aren't too prevelant as used items. I really can't say.

Anyhow, glad to have you here - stop by the Intro. and Welcome forum if you have the time.:biggrin:

8. traveler_101

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    to spend or not to spend (more) that is the question

Actually, I still haven't decided and I'm appreciative of your help. I have one legacy lens--an OM 50mm/1.8--which I like very much, but can never quite focus properly on my E-420. Yeah I've read that the EVF helps enormously with that which speaks in its favor. And then like you I wear spectacles, have all my life, so that probably speaks for the EVF as well.

9. BBW

Glad to be of help... Believe me, if you scrolled back here I know there is a thread with my angst showing.:biggrin: Quite a few people here were very patient answering my questions...and add in that I hadn't touched a serious camera in years. Think over 20!

So have you tried one out in a store yet?

10. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Welcome, traveler_101. I am also a 4/3 shooter and purchased a m4/3 camera to have a more pocketable camera. To me, anything other than the pancake lenses and the purpose of the smaller camera is somewhat lost. I have owned an E-620 and E-410 and have sold both because they were too big to be pocketable but too small to use with heavier hg lenses.

On another note, why don't you like the E-PL1? I am actually in the process of selling my GF1 to get that body. Right now, its the only m4/3 camera with wireless flash capabilities.

11. traveler_101

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    haven't checked it out yet . . .

. . . but will soon if they have it here. I used an all manual SLR back in the 1970s for a while . . . and then didn't bother until I got my E-420 last year. In any case I won't purchase until I'm back in the States in couple of months. The immediate issue was whether to go in deeper with the :43: gear and purchase a wide angle lens which I need. I have decided to get out of :43: after reading the boards over the past few days. Almost purchased a E-620 to upgrade my E-420, along with the :43: 9-18mm. m4/3 seems to be the future (or at least one future).

12. traveler_101

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    E-PL1?

Hi Mark, thanks for your note.

Right, that's exactly how I have come to see it. If the m4/3 camera is as good as everyone says than the small DSLR doesn't make sense. You really have to catch up with all this. Two weeks ago I was thinking about buying a E-620. Then I got back on the boards.

I realize that it's a good value and makes sense in many respects, but its styling, body build and layout are not as good as the EP-1/EP-2.:biggrin:

13. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Don't get me wrong, the E-620 was a great camera when I had it. It is what prompted me to purchase an E-30 after all. The ergonomics of the E-620 was not good for me at all though. My hand cramped up multiple times changing settings when the camera was matched up with the 12-60 swd. The backlit buttons is the only feature I truly miss, everything else, the E-30 does and then some.

Also, I agree with the EPL1's design being less appealing than the EP series. I think the GF1's design is somewhere in between the 2 designs and is just as capable as the others. I just don't understand why Panasonic keeps on going with in-lens IS instead of in-body IS.

14. traveler_101

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Panasonic

Product differentiation and higher profitability: you get into their system reasonably but pay higher costs down the line. They must be leary of Olympus with whom they cooperate but must also compete. Hope I can come up with the biucks for their 20mm/1.7 lens. :smile:

15. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance

For hiking , yes close to 100% of the time.
    I have tried for a while an LX3 without viewfinder, while it wasnt that bad, i was missing it and i was checking ebay price for the fixed optical ones.