1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Decisions with Olympus Sale

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by corns5, Jun 9, 2013.

1. corns5

corns5 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Florida
    Carol
    I've been considering what system I am getting since I have no mirrorless system, and my first 2 choices were the new P5 or the OM-D along with the kit lenses they come with (either the 17/1.8 or the 12-50). With the sales going on, I want the 60/2.8 as I love macro and I also know I want the 40-150 as it's a great general lens for a great price (on sale).
    Other possiblities:
    If OM-D: for wide- I love the idea of the 9-18 M. Zuiko (Could I manage with the 12-50, 60, 40-150 without the 9-18?- on sale but adds much to price) cost w/out= $1699.00 and with = $2298.00

If P5: for price point it'd be the 14-42 for a walk around. (Could I manage with the 17, 60, 40-150 without the 14-42?- as a setup would that work? cost w/out=$1999.95, and with = $2298.95.
    So for either set up, I'd be purchasing an add'l lens either the 9-18 w the OM-D or the 14-42 ii with the P5, if needed. I understand the advantages of the newer camera, and the 17 1.8 looks like its a great little lens, as the OM-D is also great in review and highly recommended.
    I just sold a lens of mine to be able to do this and if I care for it, I may very well sell off some other equipment. I am traveling this summer, sometime, so want a nice few lenses to travel with whatever I get. Any suggestions as to which set-up to get to start out with? Thanks!

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Both setups you mention are great, but in each case, I'd drop the kit zoom and get the 9-18 instead. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I'm having a hard time following your purchasing dilemma.

The 9-18 and the 14-42/12-50 are about as different as night and day. I wouldn't classify the 9-18 as a walkaround lens (although it definitely is for some folks), its a very sought-after UW zoom. The 17mm is stellar, but so is the O12, the P14, and the P20. You don't want to forget about Panasonic, even if Olympus happens to have red sale signs plastered everywhere (especially since you are new to the mu43 system). I guess what I'm saying is that we'd be able to help you better if we knew more about your style of shooting, what you shoot with at the moment (cameras, lenses) and how thats working out for you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Olympus sale, these things come and go, so your're not going to miss out (although you did missed the accidental Olympus sale a few months back, where prices dropped to wholesale for a few hours!). You could find similar or better bargains in the buy/sale forums all year round. I'd like it better if we put more thought in your purchase so you only pay for what you NEED and nothing more :)

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Decisions, decisions!

I too am struggling a little on the same line. I've got the 9-18, 60 macro, and 40-150. I want to upgrade but I'm having a tough time deciding between the OM-D with 12-50 or the EP-5 with 17 and VF-4! I love zooms and having a range that would go from 9-150 in 3 lenses would make a great kit however the E-P5 with 17 f1.8 would make a great low light lens. :confused: I think I would like the OM-D body better as I have large hands and the accessory grip would fit me perfectly, yet again the E-P5 has the same features of the OM-D but tweaked for the last year. :confused: :confused: Any advice is appreciated!
    Bobby
    PS the price for the OM-D with 12-50 zoom and Accessory grip would be about the same as the E-P5 with 17 F1.8 and VF-4!

5. corns5

corns5 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Florida
    Carol
    Thanks Margaret and Sam! Sam, you are right about lenses. My current system is the D700. I use the 24-70 alot, and for wildlife when I hike the 70-300, and for macro the Zeiss 100/2 which I just sold to help finance all this. The 24 focal distance to the 35 gets used alot on my 24-70, as well as the upper end of 50- 70. When I put on the 24-84 AFS lens that I have I tend to use it all as well. I used to use my 70-300 but prefer the sharpness of my 24-70. I love the wider end but go upwards there.
    I am excited about getting back to higher than 400mm, as I used to use that lens more when it was on my old D80, which gave a 1.5 view, although cropping can be done. I also own a 35/2 which gets some use, a 50/1.8 which get no use, and that's it as of now.
    But a camera that I use rarely anymore isn't good, and the heftiness of the camera and lenses + working all the time at my job has had me put down my beloved hobby. I have had shoulder issues, fixed with surgery, and when I hike it's all just too much for me. I want to cover the wide angle to telephoto with decent lenses, as I am accustomed to.

The kit lens for the E-P5 is pretty decent though, I thought. And you can get then, the viewfinder pretty much for free, so that has to be the option there. I NEED a EFV, for my older eyes. I hate my camera phone's screen for focusing in bright sunlight which we have in south Florida, so that's what'd I'd do.

The kit lens for the OM-D would easily be dropped by me. I am not a fan of kit lenses, and if it's as poor as some say, I'd drop that option. But would the 17/1.8 for the OM-D cover me for the absence of the wider end?

Thank you for your advice, Sam and Margaret! And Zensu, I have the opposite, very small hands, so I don't need a grip. The D700 hurt my hands after helping out a friend, whose wedding I took, and after hiking it didn't do me well either! I think a grip would help you, but I wouldn't sell the OM-D to get an EP-5. I think most here are saying that they are about the same, and you would lose out! Financially, it seems wise to just get the grip, and forget the kit lenses as Sam has said. The 17/1.8 looks good, but if you already have the 9-18 that looks fine as well, albeit you need to have light for that.

I am then leaning on the following possibilities so far, friends here, but any input would be appreciated:

Set up 1: E-P5 17/1.8 and EVF (must have EVF): 40-150, 60 macro, price: $1997.00. Lens 17 would be my wide angle, low light lens- an advantage.
    OR
    Set up 2: OM-D body only: 9-18, 40-150, 60 macro. And since the kit lens drop, price $2074.00. This does cover slightly more focal range- advantage.
    But both are lacking in areas/ranges....
    Later possibly 75-300 but don't want to bankrupt myself just yet! Daughter 1 is getting married (I am NOT the photographer, thankfully), and Daughter 2 told us her engagement may be soon coming after first wedding, so weddings are costing a bit!

Kind Regards,
    Carol

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Hi Carol,

Welcome to the forum.

Ultimately your purchase decision is yours to make. But hearing the complete usage with your current D700 kit, I would advise either E-M5 or E-P5 bodies but with 9-18, 17, 60, 40-150 lenses.

I understand a price point must be hit. But I think the choice shouldn't have to be between 9-18 and 17. The 40-150 is on sale frequently and can also be found on eBay below MSRP even when it isn't on sale. My suggestion is to skip this lens for now if the budget must be met.

So in a pinch: E-M5 or E-P5 + 9-18, 17/1.8, 60/2.8. Then add 40-150 or go directly to 75-300 as more money is saved.

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
  8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    E-PL5 is an excellent camera!

The only reason I'm selling my E-PL5 is the new features on the E-P5 and some on the OM-D.
    I would check it out before I spend much more money.

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Have you considered an E-M5 with the m9-18 and m14-150 zooms? Two excellent lenses that cover a great range of focal lengths. You can select a fast prime after you determine which focal length you use the most.

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    You should also look at the Panasonic G5 - it's also currently on sale, and the kit can be had for $398 from B&H and some other places right now.

I have to say that with all the great deals presently being offered on Micro 4/3 cameras right now - the G5 struck me as the best on a current camera - especially if you want a viewfinder rather than just using the screen. Which is why I just got one myself (although I bought a mint used body).

I hope I haven't violated any protocol by posting this in a thread in the Olympus camera section - but really, I think the fact that this is a multi-vendor system means you should always be looking at the best from each to meet your needs.

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1 :biggrin:

12. dmk005

dmk005 Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    sounds to me you will require a full time EVF so does it not make the OM-D the best body choice (given all other things equal as you predicated).

D A V E

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Though the VF-4 is an add-on, it's a superior EVF to the one built into the E-M5. Perhaps that is why OP has listed the E-P5 as an alternative. But I agree that E-M5 is perhaps the better body since you don't forget the EVF, it's always there.

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    IIRC, I've also read that the E-P5 with the VF-4 is actually larger than the E-M5 with its built-in EVF....

15. corns5

corns5 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Florida
    Carol
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL INPUT!
    Here is what I have come up with:
    Choice 1: EP-5 w/17/1.8 and EVF; + lenses: 9-18,40-150, 60/f2.8 priced at $2498.12
    Choice 2: OM-D body alone + lenses: Panny 20/1.7 (or 17/2.8 due to price, but Panny seems sharper....), 9-18, 40-150, 60/f2.8 priced at $2322.24.
    I think for size it will be the OM-D, and built in EVF and weathersealing......Also I'd love to also get the 75-300 for my wildlife/hiking..... but I really can't afford all this....
    Haven't hit the buy button yet.....

16. corns5

corns5 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Florida
    Carol
    What is the better choice for the OM-D setup:
    the 17/2.8 or the 20/1.7?
    OR I can delete that entirely having ordered the 9-18 and get the 75-300?? too many choices!:eek: hmmm that would be then price: $2515 and it'd all be covered. Sounds good but still alot of $ and haven't hit the buy button yet. It's difficult to do!!

17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    If you don't require the extra light, a good copy of the 17/2.8 will serve you well. I wouldn't buy one new, as you can pick up a used one for ~$135. I returned the 20/1.7 due to unpredictable banding at higher ISOs and slow AF. I'm very happy with my 17/1.8, as I often shoot in low light sans tripod. If you don't require extra light or UWA, you can delete the 17/1.8 or 9-18 respectively. Similarly only you'll know if you need the extra reach of the 75-300.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

18. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Looks like the GAS man has struck!

19. corns5

corns5 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Florida
    Carol
    :tongue:
    Ron, not until I hit the buy button, and I haven't done that yet!!
    I think that even though I love the idea of the 75-300 I am going to stop there!
    Also I may just go with the 17 2.8 as an add'l lens IF I decide I need it, even later.
    So more gas? nope, but more fun! Gas? no- 2 weddings coming up, one for sure in September for daughter 1, and perhaps another one, daughter 2 has told us next March. Weddings here. And gas. Phew!:tongue:

20. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    OH MY!! I'm having the very same problems. I've been going over the used prices vs, Oly's sale price, to see what is the best use of my dollars. I found the 17 refurbed for $179, a very good deal. I think I'm going to get that, the 75-300 and a flash. If I'm happy with all of this, I think I can sell a couple of my Canon lenses to finance this and still not lose anything for my Canon side of my hobby.

Good luck with your decision!!

Ron