Decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jan68, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    Sooo, in 2 weeks we are heading out for a road trip to the East Coast ( Canada, eh!). Highlights might be Canada Day in Ottawa (150 year celebration), whale watching and a lobster festival, lots of scenic spots on the route of course. Now - what equipment do I bring? I decided to take my GX7 and leave the E-M1 at home, but lenses... The 7.5 fisheye is coming, so is the 35-100 2.8. I could pack the Panasonic 12-60 as standard, but somehow want to challenge myself with the 17mm prime and leave the zoom at home. Good idea? Bad idea? What do you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I would take the 12-60 and 35-100. You have the focal lengths you will use and then some. The 7.5mm FE doesn't take much space, so you won't find carrying it around much of a size and weight penalty if you really want to haul it for the odd super wide shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    As always this really depends on what kind of images you like to take... you obviously have a passion for ultra wides, which I personally never use or would even consider purchasing... just isn't my style of photography

I was about to say that i would go with the 17, until i saw you had the older slower 2.8..not the newer 1.7. I love the 17mm focal length and the old 2.8 is pretty good.

Nah.. go with the 7.5, the 17 and the 35-100... go learn the 17mm fov

K

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I went on a whale watching cruise, and the 35-100 probably won't be long enough. I had a D7000 with a 70-300 lens and that was just long enough.

FWIW, I think a prime lens challenge is a good idea when wandering around the neighborhood for a day, but not so great if the objective is to get memorable images. It's the difference between practice and a performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks for all your input. I guess it wiĺl be the 2 zooms. Or get that 45-175 they are selling in our local hock shop for more reach and less value in the bag in case something happens...

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have a Panny 45-175 and it's a very nice lens optically, and it's small and light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    It's a road trip... take both cameras and all the lens unless your doing this on a motorbike.
    Then you have no regrets you should have brought xyz, you have a spare body and for those days with signicant events you could have both bodies with different lenses ready to go.
    It's not like what your planning to leave at home takes up much space versus taking memorable photos on the trip

8. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    Good point AussiePhil - but that would be to easy...
    Went back to the local Hock Shop today and checked out that 45-175, it's in mint condition, looks like new. A while ago they wanted $289 (Canadian), lowered the price later to $249. Today it had the yellow "please buy me" sticker on, $199. A short chat with the owner and he dropped the tax, so I got it for $199. Great price I think! Problem is, now I have one more lens, and that doesn't make my decision easier...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I understand your concept but, for myself, I want the right tool for the job to be done. I never deliberately choose the wrong screwdriver or the wrong wrench. Sometimes I have to compromise on tools because I can't carry everything, but I never do it just to make my life more difficult.

If you want a challenge, maybe do it as an exercise when the results don't matter. On this trip the results probably matter to you. Just sayin'

• Agree Agree x 2