Decisions...decisions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by wayne, Jan 23, 2013.

1. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    I'm still trying to build up my lens collection for my OMD and would like to hear your opinions.
    I currently have a Oly 12-50mm, 40-150, and the 45mm.
    I know the Oly 17mm f1.8 is still new and there aren't a lot of reviews yet but I'm up in the air about between purchasing the new 17mm, f1.8 or the Pany 25mm, f1.4.
    I would eventually like to get the Oly 12mm but I'm wondering if it would be too close to the 17mm. I don't think I need both.
    So, I guess the real question is do I buy the 17mm, f1.8 or the 25mm, f1.4?
    I would mostly be using it in my house without a flash for family photos and street photography in European cities.

Anxious to hear your comments.

2. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Panasonic 20mm f1.7

The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is right in the middle of the Oly 17 f1.8 and the Panasonic 25 f1.4. It's overall IQ is widely respected. The price is lower than the other two lenses. The Oly 17mm is getting mixed reviews.

If that focal length range is what you are looking for, I think this is a "no brainer." Get the Panasonic 20mm f1.7.
    Dan

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    +1 for the Panny 20mm.

Apart from hunting for AF in very low light, which you learn to work with/around, it is a stellar lens, very sharp - I find it very hard to take off my OM-D !!

4. bhemmis

bhemmis New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2012
    Naples, FL & Cleveland, OH
    Brian Hemmis
    Panny 20 and the Oly 45 seem to be the 2 basic primes.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're considering the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux then it must be in your budget. Of the three (m.Zuiko 17mm/1.8, Lumix 20mm/1.7, and Leica 25mm/1.4 Summilux), the Summilux would certainly the better quality lens overall with the one caveat being that the m.Zuiko 17mm/1.8 is the fastest focusing of them all. The only thing the Lumix 20mm/1.7 has over the other three would be its more compact size. The Lumix' quality might be a bit better than the m.Zuiko, but not better than the Summilux.

You said you will be shooting indoors with no flash. The Summilux is the brightest of the three lenses by half a stop, while the m.Zuiko is the fastest and most accurate to AF. The Lumix hunts in low light and doesn't have a nice feel for MF either.

Of course the Lumix 20mm would be high on my list for several other reasons like its compact size and affordability in a high quality package, but I don't see those requirements being mentioned.

Of the original two lenses the OP was considering, I would go for the Summilux. Better quality and faster aperture, even if the m.Zuiko has the advantage in AF speed. I was never big on AF and don't count it high in my list anyways, so my opinion is biased in that regard.

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Another vote for the 20mm.

BUT . . . if you really enjoy WA, you'll like the 12mm too. That 5mm difference is huge between 17mm and 12mm; much, much less significant between 20mm and 25mm. So don't assume that the 17mm and 12mm will do the same things; they're very different lenses.

7. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I went through the same thing. I used to have the 20mm way back before I delved into full frame but sold it. Then I sold my full frame stuff because I really missed having a small camera. This time around I went with the 25mm.

I don't have a particular focal length I prefer (35 vs 50mm) so the decision was very hard for me as well. If you are like me, and don't really have a preference of 35 vs 50mm, the decision will be hard. But if you do have a preference, it should be based on that.

After trying out a bunch of high quality glass in other formats (Fuji, Nex, Canon), I think I am a little spoiled with the build quality of lenses. Now I am having second thoughts and thinking of going with the 17mm (I'm shallow that way). The 25mm feels a little cheap. I now have the 75mm and I love the optical quality and the build quality is the icing on the cake. I'm sure the 17mm build quality feels just as nice...

I wish I had both. It probably wouldn't be the best use of my money though. If I must have the 35mm focal length, I guess I'll use the $500 I could be spending on the 17mm towards a used fuji x100 which is currently around $700 but I'm sure will drop to $600 or lower once the x100s is readily available.

8. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I have some thinking to do.

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Between the 17/1.8 and the 25/1.4, I would pick the 25/1.4 because of better overall optical quality. Ned mentioned that the 17/1.8 focuses faster. I haven't tried it so I can't comment on it, but the 25/1.4 is plenty fast for me, even for capturing images of a moving kid indoor... It would make a great pair with the 12/2 which you mentioned that you intend to get some time down the road...

10. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I am also looking for a wide(r) lens to pair with my 45/1.8 on an E-PL5. Everyone seems to be recommending the Panasonic 20/1.7 over the Olympus 17/1.8, but when I saw videos of the 20's autofocus like below, I am hesitant:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HslzZ8ciZSc]EPL5 Focus test w/ Sigma 19mm 2.8, Panasonic 20mm 1.7 - YouTube[/ame]

After all, I sold my NEX-5N which I was otherwise happy with because I wanted fast AF. The 20 seems to focus as slow or slower than my NEX lenses.

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Man! You guys way over think things on this forum. Get the PL25 1.4 and go make nice pictures. Go. Bye.