1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pjuk, Jul 31, 2012.

1. pjuk

pjuk Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    London
    Hi all...I've been browsing this forum for some time playing close attention to the "recent" release of the OM-D E-M5 along with the pros and cons moving to a µ43 system from an SLR.

To summarise I'm currently using a 60D (my first DSLR was a 20D which I still own) and have a small collection of lenses EFS 10-22, EFS 17-85 and a 50mm f/1.4, a 430 flashgun and a collection of filters. When I first got the DSLR I took it everywhere with me mainly to shoot street photography, indoor low light work, buildings, landscapes, astro/sky and portrait work - no high speed sports or birds. When I first got the 20D I felt like I could shoot scenes that other people couldn't and the focus speed/shutter time was phenomenal. Almost 10 years later, everyone has a DSLR (although most people I see still shoot on Auto!) and technology has moved on considerably.

I've had a play with the OM-D a couple of times (only with the kit lens) and the camera feels pretty solid. I'm confident that it will satisfy my needs for the wide angle work and low light stuff, what I'm concerned about is portrait work with a medium/low DoF. Before coming here I was tempted to move to a FF system (although this is big ££) but now I'm not sure it's worth spending this kind of money for what is really just a hobby. I also feel that as I am getting older I don't want to carry around lots of kit and would be more inclined to take a µ43 camera out rather than lug around my DSLR. In the past if I've been lazy I'd grab my P&S (or even my iPhone), but never get excited about shooting anything with it.

Please tell me I'm doing the right thing by moving to a µ43 system and getting rid of DSLR? I've got 2 big trips coming up in the next 6 months (Peru/Galapagos and India) and I want get some new kit that will be easier to travel with. What I was thinking of getting was the following:

Olympus OM-D + kit lens
    25mm f/1.4 or 20mm pancake (not decided yet)
    45mm f/1.8
    7-14mm f/4

I think this covers everything I already have and would possibly like to add a telephoto in the future but not done much reading on what's good/bad.

Sorry if this question has been lots of times - just need some reassurance I won't miss my other kit.

Thanks, PJ

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Good post PJ. Seems like you've thought it out pretty well. I don't see any issues with the direction you are outlining. I also moved from a 60D to the E-M5. No regrets whatsoever at this point, though I did keep a 40D and some glass to shoot sports.

The 45/1.8 is an excellent portrait lens. You will lose a little on the super-thin DOF side vs your 50/1.4, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. I shot with the Sigma 50/1.4 for a while. I was a big fan of how it rendered OOF backgrounds. I'm good with the 45/1.8 in comparison. If you have the budget for it, and can make the 75mm FL work for you, the Oly 75/1.8 looks to be an even better option. I haven't tried it though; just reading reviews.

The other positive about the E-M5 and 12-50 kit is the weather sealing. The 60D is pretty tough in my estimation, but not on par with the E-M5. The 12-50 is an underrated lens IMO. I think it would provide a great travel option for you on those trips where you could easily be dealing with rain and/or high humidity.

3. photocat

photocat New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2012
    I love the OMD for traveling, it has made my life much easier.

Earlier in late spring I decided to only use the OMD on a vacation trip on the East coast, and didn't regret that decision. The only issues are OP driven and I feel with more use of the equipment will clean up those issues.

I really don't feel I missed anything of importance and in fact got a couple of "keepers" that have already sold.

Leaving the d700 and lens at home has seriously lighten the load and so far I haven't missed anything. However, I am not thinking about selling this system, at least at this time. The future may change my mind.

With the Oly, i can carry a few lens in a small case attached to a Thinktank belt. Of course then I have to put up with my friends giving me a hard time about a "fanny pack"

4. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Your kit selection looks very sensible to me. 95% of the time you won't miss your other kit. When I hit the 5% I just picked up a full-size dslr and thought, "what a ridiculous lump this is", put it down again and went back to happily shooting with my E-P3.

I'd suggest staring with an OM-D + 25/1.4 (or maybe a Pana G5 + 25/1.4). See how you like it before jumping ship entirely.

I'd prefer the 25/14 to the 20mm pancake but your mileage may vary.

The Olympus 75mm f1.8 will be an awesome long portrait lens/telephoto.

5. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    you'll be able to get great photos from either m43 or dslr, so your decision really comes down to portability, in which case there's no contest.

eg. My very small camera bag (Domke F-5XB) is stuffed with the following at the moment:
    - 2 x bodies (E-P3 and E-PL2)
    - 6 x lenses (Oly 40-150, Pana 14,20,14-45, 2 x legacy+adapters)
    - EVF
    - 2 x Spare batteries and other odds and sods.

It would take a small backpack to do the same with DSLR.

6. pjuk

pjuk Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    London
    Thanks for the swift replies. I agree that the canon cameras are pretty tough - I've had both fall from a table onto a tiled floor with the 17-85mm lens attached and they still work to this day. There have been times when I've been out and the skies have opened, but strangely I am more concerned about my iPhone/P&S than a £1000 DSLR - Maybe I'll be even more blasé with the ruggedness of the Olympus.

Regarding the ultra thin DOF, I rarely shoot at 1.4 since there is too much under focussing which I have yet to correct properly. The 75mm looks really nice, but an equivalent of 120mm on an APS-C I'm worried I will have to find plenty of room to compose shots - Maybe a lens for the future!

I think it is more of a sentimental issue I need to get over with (plus the shallow POV "my camera no longer looks pro"). I do feel that if I get rid of my DSLR and spend a half the money I would have spend on going FF I should end up with some nice kit. Who knows what the future of µ43 is, maybe one day they'll move towards PDAF rather than CDAF which will make tracking a real possibility.

I'll give it one more week before I make my decision :p

7. pjuk

pjuk Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    London
    Why would you choose the 25/1.4 over the 45/1.8? I really like my Canon 50/1.4 on my 60D which will be pretty similar to the 45/1.8 (a few F-stops down though).

8. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Fair enough, your 50/1.4 on your 60D has the fov of a 40mm on m43 so the 45/1.8 will be similar but a bit longer. For me it's a great length too - I use 45/1.8 + 17/2.8 - but if I was starting again and wanted to start with the best (arguable, I know), I'd go for the 25/1.4. I often find the 45/1.8 too long but make it work anyway rather than get out the 17/2.8 which is too wide and doesn't match the iq. The 25/1.4 seems a good general option to me.

Btw, I've owned/used the canon 50/1.4 on crop and FF and prefer the IQ of the Oly 45/1.8. I found it more useable at f1.8 than the Canon at f1.4.

9. pjuk

pjuk Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    London
    This is the kind of stuff I like to hear since the 50/1.4 was my favourite lens :) Thanks for the comparison between the 17/25/45. The µ43 lenses are so much cheaper than their FF counterparts that I don't mind spending the excess money to add a few more to the bag!

Anyone had a experience with the ultrawide 7-14? Reviews are pretty good, pity about the lack of filters!

10. m43nutsy

m43nutsy New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2012
    You picked out some nice m43 gear. I don't think you'll have regrets. I've been shooting with 5D, 35L, Sigma 50, 85L for 3 years (30D, 50D before that). Besides the Sigma, I thought I'd keep the Canon gear forever.

Traded it all in recently for EM-5 + 25/1.4 + Mac Book Pro Retina to go along with the lenses I already picked up with GF1. It was just about an even swap. I couldn't be more happy :)