1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by StevenJay, Feb 24, 2012.

1. StevenJay

StevenJay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2012
    Manhattan
    Was pretty much decided to upgrade my EPL-3 to the OM-D, when I had a subversive thought. At Costco I saw a Nikon 5100 kit for the same $999. For the same outlay, 8 could have both a M4/3s camera...and a fine one at that as well as a nice DSLR with 2 lenses. Can someone please talk some 4/3s sanity back into me?

Thanks...Steve

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Can you afford two lens collections? Bodies are the most disposable part of a camera system.

3. StevenJay

StevenJay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2012
    Manhattan
    Good question. I have the Oly Kit 14-42, and the 12mm and 45mm as well as an old Leica 35 mm. Except for a zoom I am pretty much set for 4/3s. But the Nikon comes with 18-45 and 45-300 lenses. I don't know if they are really very good and I am just learning how to use the Olympus. I had been thinking the OM-D would be a nice step up with noise reduction and the other well documented I improvements. But which will consistently take the better picture, considering I am still essentially a beginning photographer. I am really having fun with the Olympus and still use my Canon G9 when I am in a hurry. S....

P.s. I got the Olympus because I wanted to learn more about how to control a camera and maybe do street photography...but mostly I just have fun...

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The DSLR is not going to take better pictures, it's just going to give you a different form of camera. Its one advantage is that it'll handle lenses made for PDAF better, but how will that help you when you have no lenses for the system? The lenses it comes with are cheap and slow, and not really worth considering...

You're much better off to invest in new lenses to expand your capabilities with your Micro Four-Thirds bodies.

For a telephoto, you could get one of the slow zooms for Micro Four-Thirds, but they will only be usable in good light. Since you already have a Leica adapter, I would look into getting a longer lens in that mount instead. Or if you want a super-telephoto, then try the Four-Thirds mount. There are excellent fast zooms in that mount and they are fully compatible with Micro Four-Thirds except for slower S-AF and no C-AF. Especially if you intend on getting an OM-D, the Zuiko High-Grade and Super High-Grade lenses are all entirely weather sealed, which will match the OM-D along with the weather sealed MMF-3 mount adapter. You can then shoot that system in torrential downpours or even drop it in the drink if you pull it out again soon.