Decisions, decisions: What to sell to buy Olympus 75 f1.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by iGonzoid, Feb 8, 2013.

1. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Having read a heap of views and checked images from the Olympus 75mm f1.8, I am determined to get one after selling:
    * [probably] my Panasonic 14mm f2.5.
    * Rokinon 85mm f1.4 [4/3 mount].
    * And what was my first serious digital camera, the old Panasonic Lumix FZ30 [which produced one book cover and some nice performance poster pix].
    The performance of the O 75 seems likely to totally eclipse the Rokinon 85mm in that tele range. And although I will lose just over 1/2 of an f stop, I will gain autofocus. Although I love the size of the P 14mm, I now hardly use it since getting an Olympus [4/3] 11-22 f2.8 — again fractionally slower but very versatile for what I use mustly use a wide — skyscapes and landscape. Also the image quality of the P 14 was slightly disappointing compared with my other Panasonic optics [particularly the P 25 and P 45 macro].
    What I am not sure about about is whether to sell my original m43 body, the Olympus EP-2. I know they do not fetch much on the market and I hardly use it at all now. I feel that I have over-indulged in the last year on lens purchases and must settle down to learn more from what I have. Compared with the OM-D, the EP-2's limits of only 12MPx and poor performance over ISO 200 make it a last choice for any job.
    Can anyone think of a good reason to keep the EP-2? Thanks if you have read thus far.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    These are personal decisions of course, but I tend to sell or give away anything that I think isn't going to see use, so I would sell the E-P2 even though it won't sell for much.

The Oly 75/1.8 is truly outstanding. I just sold the Oly 45/1.8, a lens I thought I'd never sell, because I reach for the 75 every time.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. dino1891

dino1891 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    I would sell it too. Would probably fetch you a little less than $100. That could be used towards the Oly 75.
    I too like to sell whatever I dont use. I would rather have a $100 than a paperweight.

What do you shoot? If you street shoot or events, I could see the second body coming in handy.
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Sell everything but the OMD. The 75mm is godly.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I would sell the Rokinon 85mm f1.4. Especially now you're getting something very close in focal length with auto focus.

That is just me though.

E-P2 + 14/2.5 can be a great second body and lens combination.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks to all contributors. Yes I will sell all the listed gear including the EP-2, but hang on to my OM-D and GH2 — two bodies and three lenses is my rock gig rig. The 75 sounds better all the time. Anything faster then f2 is highly desirable and the reach for street, rock and portraits is ideal.
    I have also solved another inner debate. Should I check out the new Oly 60 macro. At Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 60mm f/2.8 ED Macro - Review / Test Report - Samples & Verdict there is a comparison of my existing PL 45 macro and the Oly, and for sharpness, for me the most critical factor in macro, the review tips the PL 45, but says for bokeh the Oly 60 is creamier. In macro [and coffee] I prefer sharpness over cream. So I won't be lusting over that. Thanks again.
  7. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I am now debating whether to sell the EP-2 and 14mm lens collectively or separately. It is the ideal lens to pair with the EP-2. Wotcher think?
  8. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    I have the same camera bodies, to me I would keep the EP2 as a backup. EP2 is indeed a great camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    The performance of one lens over another has more to do with the skills of the photographer and the challenges of the subjects one photographs. I wonder why we spend so much time reviewing and discussing lenses and so little reviewing and discussing photographers. The lens does not choose the aperture, close the distance to the subject, frame the environment, or process in post. The lens just captures the light and any lens made in the last 30 years is sharp enough to do that job
    • Like Like x 2
  10. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    I have to remind myself to forget about the technology and just shoot.
    I started shooting back 1969-1970. I had a Canon FTb w/a 50mm lens.
    I was given a roll of Tri-X and told to go and shoot. And not to bother buying any other lens, I shot with that camera/lens combo for ten years. Learned a lot.
    Sometimes you just need to get back to basics.
    So just grab a camera lens combo and use it exclusively for a week or two and shoot, shoot, shoot.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jap

jap Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    How usable is the Rokinon wide open? If it is way too soft wide open, you may not really be missing that extra 2/3 stops at all. Oly ZD tends to build their modern top lenses, prime or zoom, to be usable wide open---even if the top performance is not achieved until stopping down by another stop or two or three.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks to all contributors thus far to this thread. I hear what datagov and tdekany say — I spent from 69—75 with one camera and one lens, not even a flash [Miranda Sensorex, 50mm f1.8] and learnt to shoot Tri-X in any conditions. From 76 onwards as a journo I went into Leicas [M3, CL] and a couple of Nikons. The reason I am so indulgent in lenses today is that now in retirement I can afford some of the gear I only lusted after back then. However I do spend a week or more at a time with just one camera [always the OM-D now] and one lens — this week it's the PL 45 used as a street lens. My favourite lenses are medium tele, and as fast as possible — hence the lust after the 75mm Oly. Today I sold the E-P2 and P 14mm. Sad to see both go — but I simply cannot justify the third m43 body. I learnt so much on the E-P2 over two and a bit years but I just find the OM-D so much more satisfying in all respects, and the sensor is far less prone to noise at higher ISOs.