Deciding on a minimal kit for trip to Australia

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by colbycheese, Jul 20, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    In about 2 weeks i am leaving for Australia and i totally forgot about packing my camera gear. I don't have that much room for a camera bag because of my 17inch laptop bag. I am trying to pick 2 lenses and one body. I mostly plan on taking photos that document my visit, and maybe some creative shots here and there. So, based on my gear below, which 2 lenses would you take? I will most likely be taking the 20mm as my first choice but i cannot decide between the 25mm and the Nikon. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Much depends on exactly where you're going, but out of your selection, I'd take the 14-42mm kit lens, as it's the only lens that provides wide angle and you'll probably want that from time to time.
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Kit lens and either 25/1.4 or 20/1.7 would be my picks.
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    also kind of depends on where you are as a photographer and what the story you want to tell from your photographs

if you are planning on taking wild life shots then a long lens makes sense...but as you don't have a long lens thats a mute point

there is an argument for taking just the 20mm... or for just taking the zoom

personally.. if I was travelling and had to have 2 lenses it would be the 17 and the 75.... basically either end of a 4 times zoom lens but much faster than a zoom

Take the lens you like taking photos with.... there will always be situations where you want wider or longer no matter how many lenses you carry.

5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Don't forget to pack some bunjip spray. I think some of the newer versions are also effective against drop bears.
  6. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    This is dangerous advice!

Many drop bears are not deterred by the multi-purpose deterrent sprays (it's really only as effective as shark deterrent sprays for divers).

In known drop bear areas one should always wear rated protective head gear.
  7. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Whilst you may not have a lot of room and weight allowance I'd stretch it to 3 lenses, the 20 1.7 (on the body), the 14-42 Kit for the wide end versatility (in a pocket) and the 80-210 in carry on for the long end, but the last depends greatly on what you plans are.
    Personally i'd be really tempted to buy the m43 40-150 for the trip and sell it when you return, small, light and versatile for a trip here in Oz.
  8. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Better to buy the bottle of Bundy and entice them to play nicely.
  9. sircam1

sircam1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Or put a request up here for what you may want to buy & indicate for Aussie sellers only. Who knows for the right price what those if us out here may put up for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  10. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    +1. I think you will want a long zoom and adapted lenses are bulky and fiddly (i.e. slow to work with) in my experience. If you buy the Olympus lens, you probably want to take the Olympus body with IBIS rather than the Panasonic. If money is not an issue, you could also consider the Olympus 14-150 or Panasonic 14-140. Both are decent lenses, and paired with the 20mm, you have good coverage and reasonable low light capability. My travel kit is the Panasonic 20mm + Olympus 14-150.
  11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The G3 and the 14-42, for sure. You need the viewfinder outdoors -- Aussie outdoors can be very bright even in winter. The 14-42 zoom range is ideal and very handy. I would not like to forsake the wide angle range by taking nothing wider than say a 20.

You could additionally throw the PM1/20mm combo in a coat pocket, and have it handy for ambient, low light situations.

How's that?
  12. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

the locations being visited is really going to determine this - Id pick the 14-42, and reserve judgment for the rest until I know where you are going.

13. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I pondered this idea. But the only issue is how the heck do i pack this stuff? Because i need to take my laptop with me on the flight as well.
  14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I've not been on an airplane since 2008, but this doesn't seem like a lot of gear. Do they still allow us to wear the EPM1 or G3 plus 14-42 on a shoulder strap when boarding the plane? Then the 20mm should fit with the battery charger with your laptop supply in the laptop case. Get a right angle plug if you don't already have one for the battery chargers.

Might be room for the 50mm and adapter in with the socks and shaving cream on your checked luggage.
  15. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    I think putting the E-PM1 / 20f1.7 in a coat pocket is a great idea. It is a super useful combo.
  16. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    My question to you is; is it necessary to carry the 17" laptop with you? Unless you are planning to do image editing and manipulation and posting on the blog, something a little smaller may allow you not to compromise on your camera gear.
    When I travel non-business related, I simply carry a simple phone and an iPod Touch which can do simple image uploading, sharing and remote control with my E-P5. Then I can carry 2 bodies and 3 lenses plus a flash and a travel tripod which actually weight the same as my 13" Macbook! With airlines now penny pinching carry-on luggage down to like 5kg (10lbs) for some stingy airlines, I usually sacrifice my laptop, but never my cameras. After all, it's not that you'll always have a chance to go to Australia all the time. I just simply carry more cards with me. And besides, I hate security delays especially now with the more stricter TSA laptop guidelines.

However, if you need to carry your 17" laptop, then 1 body with the 14-42 plus the 20 1.7 would be the best choice. In fact, that's my go quick run setup, but I use the 17 1.8 with my Kata Marvel X camera pouch bag. You have a medium zoom to cover most things daylight and the somewhat wide prime to cover low-light stuff indoors.

Hope this helps.
  17. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Where are you going in australia, and what do you want to shoot?

In your shoes, I'd go with 14-42 kit zoom + 25mm. I don't see the 40-150 or telephoto range being particularly essential, unless you like that focal length or photographing larger wildlife.
  18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm kind of baffled by your concerns, I've travelled overseas with a camera bag stuffed with an E-5, 7-14mm, 14-35mm, 35-100mm, tele-extenders, filters etc, etc and carried it onto the plane. Considering what you have, I simply can't see a problem. I've seen women's handbags stuffed with more gear than my camera bag.
  19. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

OK, seriously, are you packing your laptop in your handbag or something? I can manage 2 weeks in SE Asia with my whole M43 kit (E-M1, 75 1.8, 12-40 and 60 macro) my laptop (Mac Air 13" ok, it,s not 17", but still) and clothes for 4 days - this all fits into a carry on sized backpack.

I think you either need a smaller laptop, or a better bag - i'd argue the 2nd is way cheaper, and probably very useful long term...