1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Deciding on a camera to bring to the beach

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by tkao2025, May 28, 2015.

1. tkao2025

tkao2025 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2014
    So summer is coming and I've been thinking about buying a new camera that's Weather Sealed to bring to the beach. Currently have an EP5 with a bunch of lenses. Was thinking about moving to Fuji XT1, but having had the EP5 for just a year and invested so much on lenses, I think I will stay with Micro 4/3 because I don't think I will see the benefits of the larger sensor.

So my question is what camera and lens would best to bring to the beach and at a great price. Looking at the EM-1, but think it's too much money for a camera that's similar to the EP5.

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The E-M5 original would be perfect: same batteries, same interface, etc.
    The weather sealed lenses that come to my mind:
    12-50 <-- good range, macro, good price, reasonable quality
    60mm
    12-40
    40-150 pro

3. tkao2025

tkao2025 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2014
    Thanks...I was thinking about the E-M5. What about bringing to beach? So it should be good to protect again reasonable amounts of sand and water right?

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Good enough for you? :)

(E-M1)

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/24755/

This kind of treatment is not recommended nor officially covered by the warranty but I suspect is more to limit controversies than for the actual capabilities of the camera.

5. tkao2025

tkao2025 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2014
    Perfect! :biggrin:

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sand is way worse than water, IMO.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Agree 100%, take something you don't mind getting ruined, unless you're loaded of course :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tkao2025

tkao2025 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2014
    I thought these camera and lenses were sand, water, and cold proof? Has anyone actually taken these cameras to a beach situation and have had problems?

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

NOTHING is sand proof. That stuff is ruthless.

Right from the "General Precautions" in Olympus own documentation for the E-M1

"Do not contaminate the exterior of the camera or lens with sand. Sand will become embedded under control dials and buttons causing malfunction"

"Service Advisory: Product damage caused by sand or liquid contamination will void the original warranty and any extended warranties if applicable. In most cases Olympus service will not be able to repair the camera. In these situations, the camera would be deemed beyond reliable repair and returned without servicing."

Again, sand is evil.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Any of the WR OMDs should have no problem on a beach if you use some common sense. I probably wouldn't change lenses in a sandy/dusty environment though. Also, I'd rinse off the camera after I got home to get rid of any residual sand/dust that me be stuck in a crevice.

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    No matter how careful you are at a beach, there is always a possibility of getting sand and/or salt water on your gear. I had little problems in Hawaii, but was extremely careful when I was near a beach or by the ocean. But, we were only walking on the beach, not sitting or laying down. The risk level in each situation varies and depends on a variety of factors, but I knew that I was taking a chance when I did it. If you are not comfortable, get a "tough" camera, or leave your camera somewhere safe.

I sold a camera to a work colleague years ago, only to be told that the camera was not working. I offered to split the cost of the repair out of the necessity of maintaining a good working relationship, but was a bit annoyed when I heard that they took the camera tot he beach and some sand had got lodged into the lens mechanism. It only take s a grain or two.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I would get a used E-M5 since they can be found for under $400, or about half the price of the E-M1.

Now if it's just that you want an grade get the E-M1 or E-M5 mII.

13. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Being into a sand storm in a desert or doing something like this:

is quite different from bringing the camera to the beach. And a lot depends on the size of the sand: beach sand is usually quite coarse but I don't know where you are heading to.
    If you want to be extremely careful place the camera into a deep plastic bag closed with a knot when not in use and do not shoot if there is wind and fine dust.

I've shot with a Canon A70 :) in the desert (Morocco) with a persistent wind and had no problems, except for a creepy grinding noise from the zoom movement.

@Replytoken@Replytoken: was an E-M5 with what lens?

14. tkao2025

tkao2025 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2014
    That's pretty extreme :2thumbs:

I have a Nikon underwater camera, but wanted to buy something that can take better pictures. Was thinking EM-5 with 12-40 or 12-50, but if people are saying it's not a good idea, I wouldn't want to spend $1,000-$1,400 or so at BH and have the possibility of damaging the equipment.

So weather sealed equipment just basically lets you take pictures in downpours or in the shower:confused-53: I thought they would be more rugged than that.

15. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Getting a used OMD EM5 would be the most economical option....however, do not forget that the weather sealing also needs to extend to the lenses as well - which are not inexpensive options either. Right now you are looking at the Olympus PRO series lenses and the Oly 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens - Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and the 53-100/2.8

16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The 12-50mm 3.5-6.3 is also weather sealed, and cheap as chips. Whether real or imagined, it's perceived optical quality deficit (even compared to other kit lenses) means the lens now sells for $150 or less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Thanks for that inclusion. It slipped my mind

18. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Weather sealing is a tough thing to specify exactly, especially since the camera companies avoid ANSI waterproofing ratings. Olympus bodies are more durable than most but that's a nebulous standard.

At the beach, for example. Are you planning on just walking around with the camera? Leaving it lying in the sand? Splashing in the waves? Blowing sand? An em-5 will hold up pretty well on these trials, but they aren't indestructible; there's enough hazards at a beach to ruin one if you push it hard enough.

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The 12-50 would my first pick, second would be the latest Olympus 14-150.

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The cameras I took to the beach were an E-M1, E-M5 and a TG-3. The camera I sold to my colleague was a film P/S many years ago. As I said, if you are careful and deliberate in what you are doing, you have a reasonably good shot at not damaging your gear. But, anything is possible, like the wave that soaked the outside of my bag.

--Ken