Decided ... almost

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jessestr, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    So I decided to go to with an Oly OM-D ... Favour goes the the E-m10 BUT I might get the E-M5 because of the size...

Is it comfortable to handle? Are there any battery grips available for the e-m10 like there is for the e-m5? (I found none)
    How is the viewfinder compared (em5 vs em10)?

The EM5 is older... but it has the battery grip.. Is it still worth buying? Probably yes... but choosing it over the EM10..

And just how much better is the EM1? Just to know. My wallet might not give me the opportunity to get it;.. but maybe.

Thanks guys
  2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    The image quality should be basically indistinguishable between the three OM-Ds.

The decision comes down to price and features. If you are using 4/3 lenses that require PDAF the answer is simple - E-M1. If you aren't things get more complicated.

E-M5 and E-M1 are weather sealed, if you are using the horizontal grip on the E-M5 it is actually larger and heavier then the E-M1. Both the E-M5 and E-M1 have five axis stabilisation.

E-M5 and E-M10 have the same viewfinder, the E-M1s is better but they are all good.

The E-M10 has wifi. Both the E-M5 and E-M10 have a max shutter speed of 1/4000s.

Personally I would buy a second hand E-M5 over the E-M10.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The EM-10 is really small for my taste. It's function heavy with a lot of buttons, and I personally found it hard to hold on to. Your mileage, of course, may vary.
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Adding additional info from the post above.

The EM1 will track moving subjects better because it has a PDAF array on the sensor. The EM5 and EM10 do not.

The EM5 is a great camera - along with weather sealing and a good set of accessories - the EM5 can be found on the used market for less than a new EM10. If you are looking to save money, and get a good lens or put toward the HDL-6.
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Both cameras are about the same size, innit?
    Viewfinder is about the same too.
    E-M1 has a better viewfinder and does some tricky stuff with 4/3rds lenses and focus tracking.
  6. Fred2726

Fred2726 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Audubon, New Jersey
    Agreed. Secondhand EM-5 is a great way to go.
  7. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    The e-m10 has a slightly better viewfinder than the e-m5, the difference is certainly noticeable. The firmware on the e-m10 is also more refined than the e-m5 and there are many small enhancements that are typically not noted in online reviews. Case in point, the raw reprocessing controls are much more refined and you can try out iterative changes. Not so with the e-m5.

The two things going for the e-m5 are the weather sealed all alloy body and the 5 axis ibis. The e-m10 feels very solidly built but it's not all alloy, The 3 axis ibis is very good whereas the 5 axis is superlative. The difference is probably only noticeable at longer focal lengths. Think 1/2 sec sharp exposure v/s 1 sec.

In terms of ergonomics, they feel very similar in hand for size and weight. If someone did a blind test, you would be hard pressed to identify them without pressing the buttons and feeling around.

I haven't tried the non-battery grip for the em10 yet, it's next on the shopping list. Based on its dimensions, and reviews, I suspect it will make a very nice difference without adding to the weight.

It's a tough choice between two very good options.
  8. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Thanks for clearing that out about the viewfinder. What other software improvements, if I may ask?

Things stated above: (maybe it helps to answer my question better)
    - I won't be using the PDAF as I will use Leica glass and probably only the 25mm f1.4 panasonic leica lens on it
    - Focus tracking.. never going to use it
    - Weather sealing.. mhm not necessary for me. My rolleiflex and m6 aren't weather sealed either
    - Viewfinder.. It's probably an important thing for me. So what's the difference between the E-M5 & E-M10 in this respect and is it big?

9. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    I were in the same situation a few months ago.
    My canon needed replacement and i fell in love with the OMD series.

For me, the em10 was to small, coming from a big dslr the em5 with the grip felt more natural.

So i got the em5 and i havent looked back.

As others have written, there are some differences bit it all comes down to what you need or want in a camera.

Wifi or weather sealing ( or both if you can afford the em1)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
  10. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Totally disagree with the above, the e-m5 felt awful in my hands while the e-m10 feels really good; had the e-m10 been out when I was in the market I might now be an Oly user. But what this really underlines s is the idea that you have to hold it in your hands. ;)
  11. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    The resolution of both evfs is 1.44 mpixel but the em10 has automatic brightness control. I found it does make a difference and appears 'cleaner'. The em10 also has a slightly higher rez LCD on the back.

About the ergonomics - the two are very close, check out the size and weight numbers. If you are just holding them, I do find that they are hard to tell apart. But the buttons are better placed and more tactile on the em10, so once you start operating them, the difference is felt.

About software - I really should create a detailed list of differences when I get the time. In addition to features like HDR, time composite, mysets assignable to dial positions and wifi, I keep finding new things every time I get into what I thought was a known menu. Sometimes there are more choices, or less restrictions, and sometimes completely new controls like the raw processing changes. As another example, you can configure the fn2 button to switch the front and back dials to ISO and white balance, a simpler version of the 2x2 switch available on the e-p5 and e-m1.
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Are you looking for a true battery grip or just an additional grip? The E-M10 does have a handy add on grip that add a lot.
  13. Jessestr

Jessestr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Not really looking for a battery grip. Just something to make it bigger.
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Olympus ECG-1 Grip for E-M10

Got one for a family member to go with their E-M10. Works great for bigger lenses and with it off the E-M10 + pancake lens will fit in a cargo pant / jacket pocket. Best of both worlds.
  15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The E-M10's EVF, while the same resolution as the E-M5's, can be set to use a higher refresh rate which makes it appear smoother in low light and when panning quickly. It also has an improved eyepoint so its easier to use for those that wear eyeglasses (if that's important to you)
  16. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    You may want to wait till Photokina when I believe Olympus may introduce an E-M5 replacement with a higher MP (maybe 20 to 24MP) with faster AF and cheaper than the E-M1. E-M5 grip is better definitely against the E-M10 as the 10 is puny.
  17. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    I've had both prefer the em10 for flash and WiFi..buttons also clickier... Without grip the em5 isn't easy to hold at all...

The add on em10 grip is great
  18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Another useful point to note about the E-M10 is that it's got electronic first curtain shutter ("0s Anti-Shock"). This removes any problems with shutter shock in the 1/90 to 1/320 range which IMHO is a pretty big deal. I found shutter shock to be a major issue on the E-P5 before the EFCS firmware upgrade. The E-M5 suffers far less than the E-P5 with shutter shock, but I've still observed it (mainly with the 75mm f1.8 lens) so it too could do with the EFCS firmware upgrade but all the indications are that Oly won't do it.

Whilst I love my E-M5, I'd go with an E-M10 if I were buying now.
  19. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    EM5 also has a high refresh mode for the EVF.
  20. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    I use my ECG-1 Grip for all lenses. I put it on when I bought the camera and I love it! I do not like the E-M10 without it! I tried to take it away a couple of times but I always put it back within minutes!