1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Decent monitor for photo and video editing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spacecreature, Nov 4, 2013.

1. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Hi guys,

I know others have asked similar questions but they are dated a bit so thought I'd ask again. I have been searching and reading reviews all day, I just need someone to help me out coz my head is melting lol!

My old HP pavilion laptop is on its death bed, and I need an upgrade for something more powerful and better suited for photo editing anyway. I will most probably have the desktop custom built, but I need to find a good complementary monitor. Although I am seeking professional results I don't think I want to spend more than 600$ for the screen.

I need something that at least covers 100% sRGB, coz this is mostly what i work in. But since I don't know if in the future I might switch to other color spaces, the more bits the better. Size wise, 22-24 inches should be fine.

I am considering the Dell U2413 but some reviews warn of weird inverse ghosting and blurs, issues with Response Time Compensation overdrive messing with moving images or scrolling, back lighting bleed issues , in addition to other defects with pink green tints on some screen etc..It seems they have revised the model and fixed a few problems but I don't know if it's suitable for video editing to begin with ? Anyone here is using that monitor? It seems to be suited for photographers because of accurate colors , but I am not sure anymore with all those reported problems. The cheaper versions like U2412M also has its problems starting with the bad anti glare coating on the screen. Asus PA249Q which is similar to the Dell U2413 apparently is noisy..everything seems to have its problems....

LG has a bunch of IPS monitors but I am not sure if they are good enough. Except for their more expensive 27EA83 which doesnt seem to come in smaller sizes, they mention 72% of Color Gamut (CIE1931) on most of their other models, is that good enough? That's not really full sRGB right? Also does it matter if the monitor is real 8 bits, or actually a simulated one with 6 bits + FCR?

2. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I just ordered a viewsonic IPS LED monitor from Woot, it has very good Amazon reviews but I'll have to let you know what I think once it gets here. Amazon prices were very good, and it's 100% sRGB.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I am very fond of the various Dell options. 72% gamut typically means 100% of sRGB. Many of these monitors are 6 bit plus dithering but I have compared them directly side by side with true 8 bit and true 10 bit models and am hard pressed to see the difference even in worse case color ramps. The dither algorithms on these screens are VERY good.

Buy a calibrator like a Spyder4 Pro. This makes a big difference to color accuracy.

Do NOT buy wide gamut (AdobeRGB) screens if you are particular about video color accuracy. You absolutely must work in pure sRGB for video to come out correct.

• Like Like x 1
  5. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have been using two second hand NEC 2190UXi monitors. They had only been used for a few months then stored in the original boxes. I got them both for less than I paid for my ViewSonic 24" monitor I use with my non photo computer.

7763751152_b29af1e8d6_c.

Whatever monitor you choose, buy a color calibrator if you don't have one.

Mike

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
  7. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Thanks guys for the replies. Those in the US you have no idea how lucky you are. Where i live everything is double in price. Viewsonics old models even sell for a bit more than twice what what the new models are selling for abroad. LG is more competitive here maybe ill try to pick one of those.

hkpzee, about the Dell U2410,

I read reviews that say the antiglare film in that monitor is horrible. How do u find it? I might check the newer models tho coz this one is rather old.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/dell-ultrasharp-u2410-24in-monitor_Monitor_review#tr-review-summary[/QUOTE]

8. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    I don't mean to hijack this thread. Is the Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM any good. Just getting serious about PP stills only. Big outlay, just ordered a half decent budget i5 pc, and by the time you add on backup storage, software etc the budget gets out of hand. I'd but looking to upgrade in a few years and this would become my second monitor.

Edit or Viewsonic 23IN LED VX2370SMHLED

With the cash I'd save I'd buy a Spyder4pro