Debunked: Canon EIS 60 ?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by arpoador, Sep 12, 2010.

1. I believe this rumor has been debunked.

If this is true ... could be really amazing!
    Canon EIS 60 revealed - high end mirrorless camera with pixel fusion technology

A high-end Canon mirrorless by the middle of next year. This could really light a fire under Panasonic & Olympus, and make them pay attention to the high end. (So far, Sony's NEX has just confirmed their attention to the GF/Pen segment.)​, which originally published it, at first refused to provide a link to the source - in an open and explicit effort to get more direct hits. I helped them along by linking to them.

A number of commenters on other forums (particularly Canon forums that I do not frequent) then pointed out that the thread in the original Chinese source (Canon EIS) had debunked the rumor, referring to the original poster as a "rumor felon". In fact, moved the thread to their "groundless" section.

The substance of the rumor seems eminently plausible to me. Even the less likely items (like the 22Mb sensor, the new sensor technology, and the barrage of announced lenses) are in keeping with previous Canon practice. If (when) Canon does enter this market, I expect them to do so with all guns firing at once, with the intent of getting the same plurality stake here that they have in the DSLR market.

But if this is all one guy's fantasy, the specifics in the rumor are completely irrelevant.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Eric

Eric New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2010
    That would be the god of all the mirrorless cameras...

Though I wonder how much it would be, since it is supposedly appealing to the high-end market...
  3. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The article does make it sound impressive..
  4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    It's THE camera what we need ! Impressive specs !
  5. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    IMHO, too good to be true :cloud-9-039:
  6. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    That's what I'm afraid of...
  7. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Time will tell. It should give some pause to potential GH2 buyers. Panasonic better rock it next week!
  8. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    22MP sounds insane for something the size of a m43's sensor. Well, at least for next year anyway. If it is indeed 22MP, I'm banking on it being some marketing gimick or new way of counting (e.g., 900k dots LCD vs it's resolution).

Canon's entry (and likely Nikon's) will certainly give oly and panasonic a run for their money. Sony I wasn't too worried about, but these two giants will surely cause trouble =)
  10. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010

"Standard Micro 4/3rds is 17.3 mm × 13.0 mm. Canon's is 18mm x 12mm because it is in 3:2 aspect ratio not 4:3."

Though with fast primes, it'd be nice to see.