1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Debris under SSW filter on newish GM1 - advice

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wjiang, Feb 9, 2015.

1. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Title sums it up really. I got a new GM1 from Photo Warehouse (authorised Panasonic retailer) in New Zealand about 2 months ago, been using mostly fast lenses at wider apertures ever since (mostly low light social stuff, E-M5 is still primary camera).

This weekend I stopped it down significantly for a landscape (E-M5 ran flat) and noticed a black blotch in the blue sky... had a look and sure enough, a speck of something. Sensor clean and blower couldn't dislodge it. A closer look revealed that it is under the SSW filter!

I've yet to hear back from the store... what are my possible courses of action here?

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Under it ... for certain?

If so then to me that's a warranty issue

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wjiang

Yeah, there was other normal dust that I'm not worried about since it's on the filter and so doesn't really show up. That stuff comes off with a blower. This speck is at a noticeably lower level than the rest of the dust.

4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    This happened to my E-M1...
    It went back to Olympus and they removed the SSW filter, cleaned it, reassembled it and calibrated it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    This isn't uncommon. Same thing happened to my em1. Best of luck getting it fixed!

6. wjiang

After over 2 months, some good news and bad news... due to a shipping mess up it got delivered to the wrong store branch in another city. But, it's been re-shipped, picking it up tomorrow. The bad news is that it was a total replacement, not a repair, so I lost the custom Richard F grip on it. The good news is that Panasonic upgraded me to a new black GM5 as a replacement instead! Some mixed feelings, the GM5 has an EVF, more buttons, a dial, better grip, and better video, but is a bit bigger, has only 1 custom slot on the mode dial, with smaller LCD, and most annoyingly loses the bounce-able pop-up flash. You win some you lose some I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    i wish it happen in my country but it's never (replacement from GM1 to GM5)

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Either there's an air gap between the SSW filter and the sensor, or the crud was introduced during manufacture (I think we can rule out diffusion - there would need to be extraordinary imbalance of forces for that to happen). I thought the two were laminated, but I could be mistaken.
    The GM5 is a little gem, I love it, especially when coupled with the 15mm/f1.7

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. wjiang

Yeah I got the PL15 kit with the GM1, that lens is excellent and should be just as at home on the new GM5.

10. wjiang

The saga continues... Panasonic replaced exactly what I sent - 1x body (GM1 for GM5), 1x battery. Nothing else - I've lost flash capability! Never mind that I have other much larger flashes... I've lost the compact flash option...

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thank them for the camera, and explain the situation. Maybe they will send you the flash

12. wjiang

Yeah plan to. Really just want some explanation as to their thought process behind the whole thing...

13. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Thought process...? Maybe you assume too much. Perhaps someone just went "GM1 broken, don't have replacement in stock, send GM5 as that is later model of same camera" - isn't it???!!!

14. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I've got a GM5 and the flash is fairly gutless in my opinion, but I would be over the moon if I was upgraded from the GM1, its like being upgraded from coach to business.

15. wjiang

Interesting, perhaps we use them differently. I really like everything else about the GM5, apart from the EVF/flash situation. I find the EVF too small for composing normally, the LCD is nicer except in bright sunlight. I think the perfect combination for me would be a GM5 with a pop up flash and an accessory hot shoe.

16. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    It would end up somewhat bigger, I suspect.
    GX7 has all you're looking for, I have one as well, nice camera.