Debating on 'downsizing' from G9 to EM1iii...

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Yes this is what I’m curious about... ergonomics. I find the g9 to have lots of control but gets uncomfortable over a longer period of time. I think this is partly my fault because I have bad form, I tend to handle it like my previous smaller bodies with mostly one hand. The em1 looks smaller in side by sides and is 15% lighter. For the 100-400 I could get the grip of its an issue.
Quite simply, the E-M1 MkII is the most comfortable camera I have ever used.

With the 12-100 on it, I can literally dangle it from my middle two fingers, and it just stays there.

The 12-100 is not a light lens ...

Same thing with my FTs f/2.8-3.5 50-200, and it weighs about 1.1 kgs all by itself.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I took shipment on a EM1 MKiii yesterday (renting, but with the option of buying :whistling:). I've been neck deep in the Olympus manual and YT videos for the past 24 hours so I figured I should come up for air.

First impression, out of the box, was just how much smaller and lighter it is than the G9. It is so svelte in comparison. Not that I know how this feels but I felt like a Crop DSLR user switching to m43 for the first time. The second I had it in my hand I thought "yep this is the one", which is an important lesson for me- I must've stood in the camera shop for 30 minutes holding the G9 thinking "ehhhh maybe I'll get used to it". The EM1 fits in my hand much better and even with the 100-400 mounted, though briefly.

That being said there are plenty of things I don't like about it but I'll reserve judgment until I can shoot it more and get a little more comfortable with shooting it. I think there are definite pros/cons to either choice...

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I took shipment on a EM1 MKiii yesterday (renting, but with the option of buying :whistling:). I've been neck deep in the Olympus manual and YT videos for the past 24 hours so I figured I should come up for air.

First impression, out of the box, was just how much smaller and lighter it is than the G9. It is so svelte in comparison. Not that I know how this feels but I felt like a Crop DSLR user switching to m43 for the first time. The second I had it in my hand I thought "yep this is the one", which is an important lesson for me- I must've stood in the camera shop for 30 minutes holding the G9 thinking "ehhhh maybe I'll get used to it". The EM1 fits in my hand much better and even with the 100-400 mounted, though briefly.

That being said there are plenty of things I don't like about it but I'll reserve judgment until I can shoot it more and get a little more comfortable with shooting it. I think there are definite pros/cons to either choice...
If you are used to Panasonic cameras, then it will definitely take some time to get acclimatized to any Olympus. However, once you do, it is actually a very logical approach to most things.

And once set up, the super control panel (SCP) gives you immediate access to most shooting functions. IIRC, the E-M1 MkIII also has user customisable mini menus.

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
I have both cameras - I much prefer the EM1.III for size, weight and ergonomics.
I mostly keep the G9 to use with the 100-400, but I have used it with the Oly as well.
Way back several years ago, I preferred Panasonic cameras for handling - now I much prefer Olympus.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
@Generationfourth Any updates? How are your tests with the E-M1 iii going? :)
It’s going so well I ended up keeping the EM1iii. The day I had to send it back coincided with the day I was taking a trip up the Northern CA coast. I liked the EM1 so much I didn't want to do the trip without it. LensRentals had an ok offer for me (they subtracted my rental off their used price).

I expected only marginal differences between the two cameras. But in hand they are so different. The EM1iii is just noticeably lighter and smaller, and surprisingly fits my hand a lot better. It is also a lot more comfortable with larger lenses (like the 100-400). That alone made a compelling case for the EM1.

• Having HHHR and liveND gives more opportunity to shed weight. And livebulb/time/composite reward you when you do bring a tripod along.
  • The IBIS is amazing- I can go 2-3" longer handheld over the G9.
  • I got a really good hit rate shooting turkey vultures in flight. It is more accurate, and the biggest difference between DFD and PDAF is that shooting C-AF bursts on the EM1 feels a lot more 'poised' without that DFD wobble.
  • Once I familiarized myself with the Oly 'way of doing things' I really like the customization that you can do- especially for the monitor and LVF. On the G9 I don't like cycling through all the different screens, and the level guide is visually annoying.
  • The Custom modes (C1-C4) can be customized to hold or reset. This was my major gripe with the G9's custom modes.
  • The colors sooc are spot on and I don’t have to constantly tweak jpeg modes/settings like I have to with the G9
  • For me the Oly just has a different feel to it- an X-factor. The way the camera looks and feels whether it's spinning the dials or the muted shutter sound. I love the feel of the G9 but it does feel more like an appliance whereas the EM1 definitely has that film era camera DNA.
Things that bother me about the EM1iii:
  • The lack of FN button options, and the lack of useful FN buttons. Oly's list is like a 1/3rd of Panny's offerings. What is infuriating is odd limitations Oly puts on customizing the arrow pad buttons. The Panasonic FN button options make it a lot easier to access and change anything while looking through the viewfinder. Whereas Oly you need to bring the camera down to access SCP or you have to dig into the menu.
  • I’m fine with the size and magnification of the EVF but the highlights are always blown out
  • I like the hair trigger shutter of the G9 and find it challenging to hold the EM1 still while depressing the shutter for longer exposures.
There are a few other things I'm missing, and I plan on attaching images when I'm back from vacation!

dwkdnvr

Mu-43 Regular
This is an interesting discussion. I have an E-M5II, but since I 'always' have a grip on it I've been thinking for a while of moving to an E-M1II instead of considering the E-M5III since I've already adjusted to the size difference for the most part. I've been interested in doing more video though, and started looking at the G9 since the firmware upgrade makes it an absolutely top flight video camera (well, plus the EVF and the 4k/6k photo modes are attractive too). I'd been casually thinking that the E-M1II and G9 were 'basically the same size', but this thread is making me reconsider.
Maybe I can get Oly to sell me an E-M1III for the same price as a G9....

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
This is an interesting discussion. I have an E-M5II, but since I 'always' have a grip on it I've been thinking for a while of moving to an E-M1II instead of considering the E-M5III since I've already adjusted to the size difference for the most part. I've been interested in doing more video though, and started looking at the G9 since the firmware upgrade makes it an absolutely top flight video camera (well, plus the EVF and the 4k/6k photo modes are attractive too). I'd been casually thinking that the E-M1II and G9 were 'basically the same size', but this thread is making me reconsider.
Maybe I can get Oly to sell me an E-M1III for the same price as a G9....
Definitely try both in hand before making a decision. I also debated a smaller body (like EM5iii, possibly as a second camera) but figured I would always mount the optional grip for my larger lenses, and would need to carry more batteries. I think the old adage "Panasonic for video, Oly for stills" definitely apply here. If you primarily shoot stills, need flagship performance, want the unique features, but still value portability I think the EM1iii is worth every penny more than the G9. It makes me wish I had gone with the EM1mkii back in 2016 instead of the GX8. If you shoot video regularly the G9 is an absolute steal. In either case if you get along with the G9 you will be rewarded with EVF, top plate LCD, scroll wheel, front switch, more FN buttons, Red night mode. To me I just can't justify bringing the G9 on adventures because of all those 'nice to haves'.

I've always wanted to dabble in video but as it stands only shot about 5 clips on my G9 (2 on accident). I have been meaning to try shooting hybrid slo-mo combined with time lapse which needs 4k60. I'm keeping my G9 around for a month or two so I can experiment, and I'm hoping Oly does a FW update to include 4k60p on the EM1iii in the future.

dwkdnvr

Mu-43 Regular
Definitely try both in hand before making a decision. I also debated a smaller body (like EM5iii, possibly as a second camera) but figured I would always mount the optional grip for my larger lenses, and would need to carry more batteries. I think the old adage "Panasonic for video, Oly for stills" definitely apply here. If you primarily shoot stills, need flagship performance, want the unique features, but still value portability I think the EM1iii is worth every penny more than the G9. It makes me wish I had gone with the EM1mkii back in 2016 instead of the GX8. If you shoot video regularly the G9 is an absolute steal. In either case if you get along with the G9 you will be rewarded with EVF, top plate LCD, scroll wheel, front switch, more FN buttons, Red night mode. To me I just can't justify bringing the G9 on adventures because of all those 'nice to haves'.

I've always wanted to dabble in video but as it stands only shot about 5 clips on my G9 (2 on accident). I have been meaning to try shooting hybrid slo-mo combined with time lapse which needs 4k60. I'm keeping my G9 around for a month or two so I can experiment, and I'm hoping Oly does a FW update to include 4k60p on the EM1iii in the future.
Well, that's the primary question - is my interest in video real, or just a passing fancy? If it's just casual, then almost anything is able to shoot 'ok' footage that can be spliced together into adequate output, particularly since I already have a GX85 which is pretty decent aside from no mic input. If I want to look at color grading, 4k60, high frame rate etc, then the G9 really stands above the other choices.
In terms of handling, I know I like the E-M1MkII - I handled it in the store when buying the 12-100 and I though it was a fantastic combo. I just couldn't swing the $$$ at the time. I'm trying not to spend big $$$ since I still find myself eyeing the Panny L-mount offerings and Nikon Z, but I can probably swing a used E-M1.2 as an interim upgrade. But that's where the G9 comes in - not too much more than the E-M1.2, but better video etc.

Rationally, I know I should just use my existing setup for a while and see whether I'm really motivated to pick up video before making any decisions. 'Rational' isn't really how this works though. :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom