1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Debating ibis gx7 or e m5 or e m10

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by puckpack, Apr 23, 2014.

1. puckpack

puckpack Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Minnesota
    Hello,

I was going to trade my nex 5r for an e pl5 but it fell through. Now, I want to save my money for one of the cameras mentioned in the subject line.

All things being equal, I prefer the gx7. I like the focus peaking on the gx7 as well as the video capabilities.

My question is, does the superior ibis of the olys make a big difference ? Having used nex , not sure if it is that necessary ?

Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    While, I do not use a NEX or a GX7, EM-5, nor EM-10, I do have a E-P5 and several Fuji X cameras.

The 5 axis IBIS is amazing, but when I switch back and shoot my Fuji camera's, I don't see myself missing or longing for the 5 axis IBIS.
    So if you're coming from the NEX, I don't think you'll have a problem with the GX7's stabilization over Olympus'.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The 5 axis IBIS on the EM5 is very good in certain conditions. You can keep your ISO lower and get cleaner files in low light or street, but just a heads up... the EM10 only has 3 axis and the GX7 has 2 axis.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The E-M10 IBIS is just as good as the E-M5 5-axis IBIS. I've read the only difference you'll see is in macro shooting, but for everything else the 3-axis IBIS holds it own. I can routinely shoot at slow shutter speeds and with long telephoto lenses no problem. Saying that, I found the GX7 2-axis IBIS not as reliable in conventional shooting. It seemed to work best when the camera was set to silent shutter mode. The E-M5/E-M10 IBIS also stabilizes in the EVF/LVF. The GX7 only stabilizes at the moment the shutter is pressed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. puckpack

puckpack Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the replies.

I mostly take family photos, nature shots and I just got a legacy 100mm macro lens that I want get better with. I also have a 100-300mm lens that I want try moon shots etc.

I've spent a year with my next and got some nice shots and PLENTY of misses, will the differing ibis systems make that much of a difference?

6. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I think it's really going to be a hard call regarding stabilization advantages. Certainly, having it is better than not having it, but when I want to get the sharpest shot possible, I always rely on a tripod. Maybe if I was shooting sports I'd feel like I needed a more robust IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Also, on the GX7, IBIS isn't even used when your lens has its own stabilization. Not sure how things work in the Olympus world, if the same, then maybe consider which lenses you want to include in your kit as IBIS may not be much of a differentiator.

After re-reading your subject heading, I'd very much recommend that you lay hands on these three cameras before purchasing -- while I initially leaned towards the M5, it just didn't feel right to me and I'm glad I went with the GX7. A buddy has since purchased an M10 and it feels much better in-hand than the M5.

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have heard this before. I need to get an EM10 in hand. Aside from the EM1 and to a lesser extent the PENs, I have never liked Olympus ergonomics. It sounds like they addressed some of the drawbacks I the EM10.

9. puckpack

puckpack Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Minnesota
    Good suggestion. I will not have enough money saved for awhile so I am trying not to go to the store and getting too excited. I know once Imlay hands on one, I will want it

10. Search

Search Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2014
    When you say misses are you talking about out of focus photos ? Should we be discussing auto focus capabilities instead of IBIS?

• Like Like x 1
  11. puckpack

puckpack Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    Minnesota
    Ha, many of my capabilities are inadequate ! :)

I am just curious from people who have switched to cameras with IBIS if it is something that you will insist on for all future cameras?

12. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I find the 2 axis IBIS in the GX7 to be enough

• Like Like x 1
  13. 0200903c

0200903c New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2014
    Don't worry about the GX7 being 2 axis. Just slap on an image stabilized lens and you're good to go!

• Like Like x 1