Debating...have a G2, thinking GH1 instead. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by atrac7, Feb 6, 2011.

1. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011
    I bought the G2 about a month and a half ago...but upon joining these boards and viewing others, it does not seem like many users tout my camera.

Instead, the favorite for the "baby-dslr body" style in terms of M-4/3 is the GH1. I know my G2 has the touch screen, but honestly, I haven't really been using this feature much. It's okay to swipe through photos, but I use primarily the EVF for composing/focusing, etc.

I don't see myself much as a video shooter, but in terms of stills, how would one pit the G2 against the GH1? How about the "quickness" of the camera (start up, picture to picture, etc)? I believe if I sold the G2 I could easily recoup costs to buy a GH1 with still change on the side.

Again, I rely on the viewfinder heavily. Anyone here have complaints or pros of the viewfinder on the GH1? I know the G2 has a remarkably sharp EVF, probably the best I've ever seen through.

This has been a dilemma inside eating me up :redface: Pretty much the only thing I'm wary about the GH1 is the front facing dial instead of at the rear.
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    If it will help you, I have a G2 and I'm very happy with it :)

I studied a lot of forums and reviews before buying. It seems GH1 has better Hi-ISO performance, however there's one major caveat: some samples can exhibit pattern noise at ISO 800 upwards. G2 has no pattern noise up to ISO 3200 (however, this ISO setting is not really useable, but it's not useable on GH1 either).
  3. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    I love my G2.
  4. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011
    Thanks for the information! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the G2 very much myself. Guess the iso bit you gave is a point for the G2 heh.
  5. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    I was much in the same boat as you (prior to buying my G2). But the fact that the G2 is compatible with so many more 4/3 lenses (of which I have) is what made the difference for me.
  6. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011
    Is the GH1 less compatible with the various adapters out there?

I primarily use Nikon F-mount lenses when it comes to legacy far, they have worked quite well with the G2.

So far, I think I will hold on to this G2. Growing to love it, I suppose I just haven't had enough time with it yet. Thanks guys
  7. Zeamays

Zeamays Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 6, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    It does seem like the G2 doesn't get any love on the forums, which has made me question my decision. The G2 is my first serious camera, and I'm still exploring it's possibilities, and no doubt will be for quite some time. Honestly, for my level of experience, it's plenty of camera for me, and likely will be for sometime. I'll let the gadget freaks debate the fine points of this camera vs. that camera...I'll stick with the G2. :)
  8. MartinK

MartinK Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010
    Washington State
    Learn to use the spot meter and touch screen for creative exposure and precise metering. The screen is awesome.
  9. Chas

Chas Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    I have some old F series lenses for an F2 and F3. What brand/model adapter did you use, and where did you get it. Does auto diaphragm work on it? I suppose it is manual exposure (you turn the f-stop ring on the lens and there is some indicator in the EVF as to when your exposure is correct), and of course manual focus. Do these adapters allow you to close the diaphragm so you can preview depth of field?

I am still trying to figure out if I should buy a G2 or a GH2. The price of a GH2 is enough to make me choke, since I have to get some mft lenses also.
  10. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I really like the G2 interface (in principle) and had ordered a bargain G2 from the Club website. I cancelled the order today, but for practical reasons: my wife is showing a spark of interest in learning more about photography :2thumbs: so having G1 and GH1 with their nearly-identical ergonomics would make things easier to teach/learn. Were it not for that I'd take the G2 instead. My G1/GH1 image tests show no appreciable IQ advantage for stills, despite dxomark praise for the latter. Of course, for video it's no contest :smile:

If it were just me and one camera, I'd prefer the G2. Maybe in a year or two I'll fall for the GH2 closeout :rolleyes: .. but that will be a while!
  11. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    G2 v GH1

While you may find marginal improvement in sensor performance in GH1 v G2, likely the difference will be that -- not really noticeable in everyday use.

If you are not shooting video don't worry that your camera is not winning the current beauty contest. Any day now you'll see falloff on GH1 commentary in favor of the new flavor of the day, likely GH2 and later perhaps an Oly.

So long as you paid proportionally less for the G2 v GH1, be happy with your purchase, it's a good platform.:smile: Whatever you do don't take a loss to get a GH1. Unless you NEED 1080i HD video it's probably not worth it. It'll mount (as far as I know) all the lenses the GH1 will mount, EVF is comparable so perhaps a better thought would be to focus on all that you HAVE bought!

A rule I follow is a tool is only obsolete when it is worn out or no longer has a suitable purpose, not when something newer comes out. Good rule of thumb is to skip about 2-4 models as most changes are evolutionary not revolutionary.

PS Specs on the finder are the same on G2 and GH1, so likely performance is identical.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    The G2 really kind of baffles me. Seems like Panny could've done something more to motivate sales vs GH1 beyond touch screen. Maybe the price made more sense before the GH1s were blown out?
  13. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Noob tips

If you do video do GH2. You CAN buy no-lens version, but if you're choking on that price then the $180 for the Voightlander adapter for nikon F (so you can use legacy lenses in the interim) will probably have you calling 911. Also figure out the lifecycle (how long/much you intend to keep/use it) to determine feasibility of better model. "Use" and "keep" are two different lifecycles, only you can determine the most relevant one for you. I would encourage you to "buy it once, buy it right" even if it means holding off until you can afford it.

I have Voightlander from Cameraquest. Works great, sharp focus to infinity. Mounts as well/easily as any m43 lens. It made my (Nikon) Nikkor 35mm f/2 my favorite lens all over again. Far better than the kit 14-140mm at same focal length.

All the so called "legacy" lenses (lenses manufactured to be manual zoom, focus, aperture and mostly film) will still be manual zoom, focus and aperture. I believe Canon FD lenses "A" mode locks the aperture wide open. I usually shoot program or AE mode and manually change aperture.
    Many cameras support depth of field and shutter speed effect previews, you'll have to look in the manual to find out for sure.

TIP: I would generally recommend those who never intend to take their camera out of program or auto mode not buy manual lenses unless they've had prior experience with them or want to really learn the craft of photography. It's really not for snapshooters, as I don't think it'll be fun anymore. These cameras are computers with lenses, use that to your advantage.
    TIP2: Download the user manual (usually Adobe Acrobat) to your computer. Use CTRL-F (Windows) to find "preview" in the manual. You'll find the answer to >>preview depth of field<< in seconds.
    Tip3: Copy the manual to your phone (if supported), so you'll always have it on the road.
  14. brunerww

Mar 5, 2011
    This is a great idea, Jimboh. I never have the manual with me when I need it. Thanks.
  15. Carol Stee

Carol Stee Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2010
    I am still trying to figure out if I should buy a G2 or a GH2. The price of a GH2 is enough to make me choke, since I have to get some mft lenses also.[/QUOTE]

Get the GH2. It has the finest sensor, the brightest viewfinder, and fastest auto focus of any M4/3rds camera. I have the G2. I am upgrading to the GH2 because the G2 does poorly in low light, at high ISOs, and has limited dynamic range; that is, the highlights are are clipped white and the shadows are black or close to it. Sometimes I can't salvage a picture using Photoshop. If you want to compare images of the two look at dpreview's G2 review, pages 14 to 16, and go through the menu to get the GH2.

Panasonic DMC-G2 Review: 14. Compared to (JPEG): Digital Photography Review

Also read the review of the GH2 on Luminous Landscape.

Panasonic GH2 Revisited

Is US$765 too much for the GH2 body only? is selling it for that plus shipping and sales tax. First go on to the Panasonic wall on Facebook. Click the 'Fan' icon then click the 'Fans Only Deals' link on the left column, then click on to the picture of the GH2 and it will take you to's GH2 web page. They are back ordered. I ordered mine on February 24 and I expect to get it by March 14, which is a sixteen day wait.
  16. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Ordered one on Jan 14th from Panasonic Direct. Still waiting and I doubt I'll see it before April 1st. On dpreview there are people still waiting from December