1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Death of a G3 (a Cautionary Tale)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jloden, Sep 5, 2012.

1. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Some of you have already seen this since it was also posted in my travelogue/image thread for the Alaska trip, but I figured I'd post a separate thread with more details to give folks a heads up so hopefully no one makes the same mistake I did.

Before our trip, I picked up a Bower wrist & neck strap set at Wal-Mart. It consisted of a simple neoprene wrist strap and a separate neck strap that both used the same quick-connect, so you could hang a camera from either strap and snap it on & off easily. I was very happy with this dual setup and it worked out perfectly for most of the trip until the second to last day, when the lanyard holding the quick-disconnect to the camera snapped.

Unfortunately I had just let go of my G3 to remove my backpack, so the camera took a free fall from my neck and bounced off the pavement. As you can probably surmise from the thread title, it did not survive. Fortunately the lens was miraculously fine (thank you, lens hood!), but the camera itself was badly deformed including the mount.

I did contact the company (Bower) to see if there was anything they were willing to do in terms of recovering damages, since the strap clearly failed its primary purpose. I have not heard back since then so I'm going to write it off as a loss and a lesson learned. In fairness to the manufacturer, I will note that at the time the lanyard broke I had the 100-300 mounted on the camera which is a heavier lens, and the strap's packaging simply says it is for "compact" cameras. Perhaps it was simply an issue of too much weight on the lanyard, I really don't know (there was no weight rating).

Regardless, I wanted to post my tale to remind folks to be careful what kind of connectors, straps and lugs you're depending on and make sure they're rated appropriately, especially if you're using larger lenses. It's a shame to risk hundreds or thousands of dollars of camera and lens over saving a few bucks on a strap!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm sorry to hear this, Jay. I think you're right to just write this off if Bower doesn't respond. They would probably simply say the strap is for compact cameras and the G3 isn't a compact camera by their definition. They probably mean pocketable point and shoots.

At least the lens survived and you still have your images from the memory card. Still, it has to be frustrating. I have both the G3 and GX1 myself. Any thoughts yet about replacing the G3?

• Like Like x 1
  3. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Agreed, in retrospect they probably meant P&S pocket cameras but live and learn, right?

This trip was hard on cameras... my wife's Kodak P&S gave up the ghost (cameras don't like beer, who knew) and my Canon S95 backup cam I gave her to use instead got a sensor dust spot somehow and had to get sent back to Canon this week for warranty repair.

As far as replacing the G3, I can't see spending the money on another used G3 at this point, so I'm going to wait for the GH3 to be officially announced. Depending on the GH3's feature set I'll either jump to that, or possibly a G5. I thought hard about an OM-D but I think I'll be happiest with the familiar controls on the G5/GH3.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    That sounds like an excellent plan.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Oh wow, sorry to hear that! :( I hope you had a back up body with you to continue taking the pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - A lot to be said for familiar controls and menus. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Indeed, thankfully I had the GX1 on the trip. If I hadn't accidentally left it in the room that afternoon, it would almost certainly have taken the fall instead. I guess that's something, right? :rolleyes:

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Jay, sorry to hear about your G3 but so glad you had two cameras with you.

Re straps, I just invested in OpTech wrist straps and sling strap for my G5 and GX1 combination. Not at all expensive and pretty stout. But I'll be checking the quick disconnects frequently to make sure they're really snapped in.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I guess I should make that two lessons from this experience:

1) Be careful with straps
    2) Having a backup camera body = awesome

Looking at the pictures from this trip, if this had happened on day 2 of the trip let's say, and I hadn't had 2 camera bodies then I would have really, really missed out. I know a lot of people think having dual bodies on a trip is crazy, and I *almost* left one camera at home.... but you can count me firmly in the "bring a backup" category now! :biggrin:

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I worry about strap failure, too...very sorry to hear about this...and yes, I always take two bodies when it's an important event or trip... :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Sorry to hear about you cam! Perhaps you have insurance which could cover the camera?

• Like Like x 1
  12. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Unfortunately not... my wife handles all our insurance stuff and for a couple weeks before the trip I had been asking her for the info so I could see about a marine / rider policy to cover camera stuff. Long story short, it never happened before the trip. This would have to be the one time I'm right about something bad happening :rolleyes:

13. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    Really sorry to hear about your bad luck. I sucked it up an went with a more expensive strap without the convenience of Q/D because I was concerned about the plastic buckles.

I never thought about having a second body as a backup. Now I will have to consider it for my trip to Africa next year. Maybe Oly will release the successor to the OM-D E-M5 by then.

• Like Like x 1
  14. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Re backup cameras, I'm certainly one of those crazies, but I take it a step further: I pack two μ43 bodies with lenses AND at least one or two compacts! The compacts are not just backups; they play a role when carrying even something as small as a GX1 or E-PM1 is inconvenient. Downside is a plethora of batteries and chargers...

• Like Like x 1
  15. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah like I mentioned in a previous post, this trip was hard on cameras!

Fortunately I had a backup Canon S95 with me too, since my wife ended up using it for the entire trip after her Kodak bit the dust on day two. The Canon ended up with a spot on the sensor, but she didn't notice it. She's just happy she got lots of the "in front of" pictures (us in front of that mountain, in front of the harbor, on a boat) :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  16. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    Amazing... I wonder if the GH3 will be as tough?

17. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Dunno if the GH3 would be in that category but if it is it would certainly explain the "built like a tank" comments about it ;)

18. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The camera I'm using for field work is the new Olympus TG1 iHS, which is waterproof to 6 m, shock-proof to 2 m, crush-proof to 100 kg, and freeze-proof to -10 deg C. Jay, you might want to look into that one! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Don't buy wrist straps with dental floss string holding it to the anchor.