Dear OM-D, Please sell me a lens firmware update!

balazs

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Balazs
I would base that theory on that the lens does not have all the actuators and supporting sensors for all possible axis of movement if they were not intended to be used.
My understanding is that lens IS includes actuators and sensors for 2 axes of movement in all IS-enabled lenses, whether Sync IS or not, i.e. the lens only stabilizes for pitch and yaw and nothing more. On the other hand, current sensors are stabilized for 5 axis (pitch, roll, yaw, left-right and up-down.
Sync IS adds synchronization capabilities, i.e. to use all these 2+5 actuators and sensors in the optimal way to correct a certain motion of the camera.

Do you think that lenses with Sync IS capabilities have actuators for other axes? How would that work? Lens IS works by tilting a lens element to compensate agains the pitch and yaw of the body/lens combo as seen on this nice animated gif:
Image-Stabilzation.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am not aware of any lens where there is in-lens IS for any more than these two axis - if there is such a thing, I would be truly love to know how that works. Rotating a lens element won't rotate the projected image, so in-lens roll correction is pretty much out of the question, but left-right-up-down shifting of the image would be challenging too - much more so than doing that at the sensor.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
You seriously think if OM-D sold the 100-400 with Sync IS at the same price (cannot price it much higher because of PL100-400 with dual IS)
Some of your points like the 300pro seem valid, but I don't think the Panasonic lens plays into it as much as you're giving credit. Given a choice of similar lenses most folks choose the one from their own camera brand. People who own Olympus are getting rid of their PL100-400's in favor of the new Oly version.

balazs

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Balazs
The sync IS in the 300/4 incorporates expensive gyro sensors which I read (somewhere) are hand selected. It's unlikely to be just a software issue.

There are two statements here: 1, the 300/4 uses special gyro sensors and 2, such sensors are required for sync IS. The first may or may not be true, but either way, does not necessarily imply #2.

(Side note: Sync IS is a lens-camera communication function, not an extra component in either. OM-D Sync IS is amazing and way better than Panasonic Dual IS, but the concept is the same, just Panasonic decided to make it more widely available. When you synchronize superior lens IS and superior IBIS, you get better results.)

balazs

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Balazs
Interesting report. I am wondering, however, about your use of S-IS-Auto. This is the very unfortunate (IMHO) option Oly makes the default. For regular shooting, S-IS-1 is really the better option. [...] Otherwise I think that another try would be very helpful, using IS-1.

Point taken, lesson learned, test repeated. This time, identical settings for all exposures and selected the best of three shots for each setup. All of them taken at 400mm, 1/800s, ISO 800.

Tripod:
_5123129-tripod.jpeg

IS-Auto:
_5123133-ISA.jpg

IS-1:
_5123136-IS1.jpeg

IS-OFF:
_5123132-IS-OFF.jpeg

I think I'll keep IBIS off when using this lens... :)

Again, none of the claims here can be proved without a teardown. The 100-400 is an adapted design that may have been unable to combine full mechanical attributes of the “sync” in SyncIS.

When you state that SyncIS is merely a “communication” between lens and body crippled in software, the only way to prove that is by disassembly and comparative testing.

Software or hardware, the sole means to verify is to tear apart. Waiting for your attempts.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My understanding is that lens IS includes actuators and sensors for 2 axes of movement in all IS-enabled lenses, whether Sync IS or not, i.e. the lens only stabilizes for pitch and yaw and nothing more.
Looking into it further, I believe you are correct. 12-100, 300, and 100-400 lenses all appear to have pitch and yaw movements in the IS lens element.

Apparently Olympus worked with Seiko Epson on their Gyro ICs to develop a special one that is 10x better than previous ones and is what is used in the E-M1X which is why that model is a full stop than the other E-M1 series. These special gyros may also be used on the 300 PRO lens. No idea what the cost of these sensors are, but it could be (in the low volumes Oly would buy) that they are expensive enough that including them in the 100-400mm pushed the final cost up to high.

The 300 PRO is actually a stop less stabilization than the 12-100 PRO. This may be partially due to the 300 PRO using three elements in its "stabilization element" where as the 12-100 PRO uses two, so heavier in the 300 PRO and thus probably harder to move as quickly. No idea what the 100-400 is using.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom