1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dear Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by datagov, Jun 30, 2016.

1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Dear Olympus,

We are all sorry to hear about your production delays caused by sensor shortages resulting from the Sony production stop in Kumamoto. We understand this will delay production of future cameras. Fortunately, the EM-1 is marvellous and still has a much to give.

In the meantime, perhaps you can release one more firmware update to thrill your customers. And may I humbly request some much needed features:

1. Myset Names: Could it not be possible to change the Myset names either with a cable connection to a computer or via the Olympus Share smartphone app? It would be so nice to give them meaningful names.

2. Manual Focus lens size: Perhaps you could enable the mysets to retain the Manual Focus lens size setting in IBIS so that we might setup Myset for each of our manual focus lenses - with unique names corresponding to each lens.

3. Might it also be possible to record these settings in EXIF data so that our MF lens choices are retained in our photos?

If you could accommodate these changes in a firmware update and carry them forward in future products your customers would be very grateful.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Best, most reasonable wish-list ever... :)

K

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    As an extension to nr 3 - with legacy lenses allow the f-stop dial to record the f-stop selected in the EXIF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    And EC in manual (with auto ISO), preferably on the up/down buttons and holding a Fn button like how an ISO button can work.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I was going to add just this. Would really love EC in manual with auto ISO, it would probably become my main main shooting mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The EXIF spec is pretty well wired down. I'm not sure what all you might be asking to have recorded, but if you take a look here : www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF you can get an idea of what is possible.

7. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    ok..confused on how this would work...EC I assume is exposure compensation... so in manual what variable would you adjust?? shutter speed aperture or ISO?

K

8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Ok, right now my EM1 functions this way.

- If I am in Aperture priority and set my aperture and ISO the camera will pick the shutter speed that gives correct exposure.
    - If I am in Aperture priority and set the aperture and also have it set for auto ISO the camera will pick the lowest ISO and some shutter speed for the correct exposure. There is some algorithm that determines how to balance ISO and shutter speed that I really do not know how it operates but I am pretty it does take into account focal length (but the settings can get a little strange when it is darker outside and it uses shutter speeds that can get pretty low, guess we need a real way to set minimum shutter speed also).
    - If I am in Aperture priority and set the aperture while also using auto ISO and dial in some exposure compensation it acts as above but sets the exposure to reflect the EC I dialed in.

- Shutter priority works much the same way as Aperture

- In Manual I set the aperture, shutter speed and ISO and use the light meter to get the exposure I am wanting (over/under/correct).
    - I can also turn on auto ISO so that the camera tries to get a correct exposure by changing the ISO based no the aperture and shutter speed I have chosen.

So we already have the ability to use auto ISO in manual mode and have had since I got my first EM5. If you allowed EC in manual mode with auto ISO, the camera would adjust the ISO to obtain the exposure with the amount of EC you had dialed in. Because you have control over the aperture and shutter speed the camera can only change the ISO (which it already does in manual with auto ISO) but it just changes it match any EC you have dialed in.

When people talked about this I always thought it was stupid until I ran into a situation that it would have been perfect for. It was a rainy day and I was out at my favorite park for a day of rainy photography. At first light it was pouring down so hard it was just crazy but later in the day it let up some and I spotted this Little Blue Heron hunting in the flooded grass. I got out crawled thru the flooded grass to get close to him to get some photographs. Because the light was constantly changing and aperture priority was giving me to slow of shutter speeds I switched to manual with auto ISO. I set my lens wide-open and a shutter speed of 1/800 and auto ISO. The values were chosen because I wanted the lowest possible ISO and 1/800 is about the slowest you can go and freeze a birds head when it strikes at a fish. I prefer 1/1000 because sometimes 1/800 is not fast enough to freeze the action. This was working great and I was having fun because he would walk within a few feet me as he worked is way back a forth along this one section (was actually one of my most enjoyable days of watching a bird hunt) until a Snowy Egret showed up. I always dial in -EC for white birds to avoid blowing the highlights but now I was in difficult spot as I switched between the two birds. I really like auto ISO in changing light because I can set the parameters that I need for creative purpose (shutter speed and aperture) and let the ISO fall as it will. I consider ISO the quality setting of my camera and as long as it falls within my limits (I limit auto ISO to 3200, but really for wildlife prefer 2000 and under) and now I can concentrate on my subject and framing the shot. I ended up switching to shutter priority because the camera will typically pick wide-open before moving ISO to get correct (or EC adjusted) exposure and would dial in -EC when I moved over to white bird and bring back to none when I switched to blue bird. But if I could have had EC with auto ISO it would have worked out much better because I would not have check each time to make sure the camera did pick ƒ2.8 (was using the 150mm ƒ2.0 with EC-14, my preferred combo on rainy days).

I have had this discussion before and some will say that you giving the camera to much control and it's taking the creative control away from you. I just don't get that argument because I have set the aperture (controls DoF) and shutter speed (controls motion blur/freeze motion), the only other parameter is ISO which really is just a quality setting. If I can preset my limits for quality (which I can set the upper and lower limits of ISO when using auto ISO), what creative control have I given up? In any given situation if shutter speed and aperture are already set there is only one ISO that will give the correct exposure and if I don't have to worry about setting that parameter (which is the only one that could need to change if I have determined that I need this shutter for my motion and this aperture for my DoF) I can concentrate on the action in front of me to get the best framing at the peak of action photograph. Why should have to change this method of working just because I have determined that the situation now calls for 1 stop lower exposure (I have once again made the creative choice), the camera should be able to just give me that like it does in every other mode (aperture and shutter priority). I believe both Canon and Nikon in the last few years added this via firmware to their top cameras, don't think they made it available on the lower tier cameras and I bet it's available on the new Nikon D5/500.

Little Blue from that day
    p1605542973-5.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    ISO, as on Pen F.

10. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the Pen F already does this... just record it in the FL fields.

11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Does the Pen F allow EC and auto ISO in manual mode?

12. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, That's what I've read.
    It has an EC dial too.

13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    That's awesome, means there is hope for EM1mk2

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    odd thing is I almost never use exposure compensation... it sees important to some photographers...maybe I should.. then again thats why I shoot raw and am comfortable in PP

K

15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I honestly only use it when photographing white birds because the camera will always overexpose them. Which brings up another wish. Spot metering based on focus point selection. Spot metering will typically get exposure correct on white birds but I seldom use center focus point.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Each to their own I guess Kevin - I use it all the time. In conjunction with the under/over exposure blinkies it's one of the things I love about mirrorless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    suppose it depends on where the balance of your photography is...recording or capturing. Sometimes I work the dials and pay attention to the exposure thing - most of the time the image is the prime driver.. I get pleasure from a well exposed image, but get more pleasure from an interesting image

K

18. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    That's great when you have the time. Sports and wildlife are similar in there is changing action to follow and you often don't have time to make adjustments.

19. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Yet a well exposed interesting photo out of camera leaves less time in front of computer, and more time to shoot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Shadetree

Shadetree Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Butch
    I'd like to see focus peaking in the firmware update for the E-M5

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1