Dear Olympus...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vchaney, Apr 6, 2013.

1. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    I have just received my EPL5 as a complement to my OMD, which I love.

I think the epl5 is great, some foibles, but a nice camera.

One setting I particularly like is the fact that you can default focus to small area. This is the one thing that really annoyed me with the OMD.

Given that they are basically the same camera, and you must have the code, can you please include this feature in a firmware for the OMD. It would be amazing and make the camera significantly more usable.

Many thanks,

Vince

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Is that true? Is the focus area on the PL5 smaller than on the EM5? I hadn't noticed that. I do realize that the LCD screen on the PL5 is smaller than on the EM5, but that alone doesn't make the focus area smaller. I'll have to compare mine, but I thought they were the same size.

3. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    It certainly is true.

In multi point mode the focus area is the same. But you have two options if you set the home point in the menus, one is normal size[.], the other is small [.]s

Activate the gears menu.
    Then go to A (AF/MF) Scroll to the second page. to [...] Set Home. Select [.]s and set the point (I use centre to start with).

Click OK to confirm the change. You can then select the home point and it will be a small area in the centre.

Then when you move the focus point it stays small but it has 35 set points. This is exactly how the OMD should work too, it's great!

The screens on the two cameras are actually the same diagonal (3 inches) but different aspect ratios to allow the EPL5 to be smaller.

Hope that helps.

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^^^^
    I love the small AF box (and that I can make it the default) on my EPM2. I so wish Oly would add this feature to the EM5!

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    While they're at it, they should also transfer the E-PL5's ability to assign Mysets to the mode dial - it's way quicker than using the menu system.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    OK, how do you do THAT?

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I would like that "use lens OIS" setting too so the Panasonic lenses with OIS but without OIS switches would work better, ok thanks.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Menu -> Gears -> Button/Dial (B) -> Mode Dial Function

Here, you can assign each Myset to one of the Mode Dial positions. I've set mine up like this:

Myset 1 - A General purpose shooting, S-Af on back-button, aperture priority
    Myset 2 - S Action shooting, C-AF on shutter button, shutter priority
    Myset 3 - P 'People'. S-AF with face detect on shutter button, aperture priority
    Myset 4 - SCN HDR.

All I do is turn the mode dial to A, S, P or SCN and I get each Myset.

Much quicker than on my OM-D where I have to do this:

Menu-> Menu1 -> Reset/Myset -> scroll up/down to required Myset -> OK -> up/down to Yes -> OK (phew)