Dear Olympus: What I want in OM-D Firmware 1.6

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by datagov, Jan 31, 2013.

1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Dear Olympus,

Since you delayed the shipment of the latest firmware for the OM-D E-M5 I have some requests. These additions would make my day:

1. Please give us more than 4 MySet options. I'd like 10 actually. And I'd like to give them my own names so that I can use a few for MF lenses, a couple for HDR and braketing, and maybe some for video.

2. You will need to add a keyboard in there to let us name our own sets.

3. Please also give us a nice graphical peak focusing chart for our lovely MF lenses. When I have a sharp MF I do fine with focusing, but some help would still be appreciated.

4. Could you work on IBIS for longer focal length MF lenses. If I put a 200mm or greater on the camera I have to overcompensate and set the MF focal length much higher because IBIS can't handle the bulk. And since you don't ship any long primes many of us have to use legacy glass to get long reach and nice IQ at reasonable prices.

That's it. I hope you read these forums and listen to your customers. We love what you are doing and will love you even more if you answer our requests.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    manual focus improvements

I would like to see a manual focus mode where just the center is magnified. The magnification could be preset somewhere in a menu and adding an optional keyline filter on top would be even better. This would allow us to see the overall framing while doing manual focus. Similar to the split finder of old, but moved into the 21st century.
    p.s. I suppose the magnified portion could move around with the autofocus location setting, but I wouldn't bother...
    p.p.s. doesn't some of the Panasonic cameras have picture in picture?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Allow metering to be assigned to one of the many customizable buttons!
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Yeah, this is what Panasonic does on zoom, and with one button push no less.
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Huh? Who said they delayed anything? Olympus never said they were going to release another firmware for the E-M5.

The only information I remember was a RUMOR from a RUMOR SITE!

Actually there was SOME truth in the rumor...Olympus released firmware for two other cameras; guess someone assumed it would be for the E-M5.
  7. foosion

foosion Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 29, 2012
    Ability to access mysets through the SCP. Named mysets would be even better.

Alas, I doubt they'll add any functionality.