1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Deals on a 20mm F1.7?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by roverT, Jan 16, 2012.

1. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but does anyone know where I can buy a 20mm F1.7 for a great price and get it within 3 days? I'm going out of country and would love to get it in my hands before then! It's time to buy my first add-on to my new to me GF2. :biggrin:

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Amazon Warehouse deals, $300 or so plus shipping -- two day is free if you have Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  3. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I just got mine from Adorama, 339 and shipped Thursday evening US time last week, delivered this morning in Australia.

4. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Wow so more or less the demand is so high that it's keeping the price high. It's too "wanted" by us m4/3 owners...haha

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah, even the used prices on this forum don't seem to sink below 300 much -- and that's not even counting when you're in a hurry. Adorama is fast, but Amazon is guaranteed fast.

6. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I just picked one up from Amazon that qualified for 2 day prime shipping for $300. It was in Very new condition...so I'm hoping all is OK!

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Well, lens prices generally fall to a point where people see value. This lens is most definitely worth $300...I'm looking for a used one myself at the moment as well. The same premise applies to kit lenses that are 'valued' at $300-400 when they are released that end up being worth under $150 on the used market...that is their true value.

8. bacid

bacid New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2011
  9. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Best bang for your buck lens for sure, definitely worth the 300 or so you'll have to pay.

10. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

I've seen two come up on craigslist Seattle for $250, but they are sold right away. Personally, I think it's worth the extra $50 to get a new one and not have to wait. The 20 is my only good native lens, so it makes the camera for me.

11. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Mine comes in from Amazon tomorrow. :D I hope it does well for video. I just wanted something fast so that my GF doesn't all the sudden want to go into ISO1600 mode because there isn't enough light.

12. Extract0r

Extract0r Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2012
    20mm f/1.7 is not suitable for video. The focusing noise is excessive and will be picked up by the built in microphone of the camera.

13. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I don't use auto focus for it at anytime. I keep it at manual and tweak if the subject moves out of the focus view. So far it saved my butt last night filming outdoors in Vegas! :) Using F3.5 would have for sure made the location not suitable. I'm happy with the lens. It has it's own personality that you have to work your way around like every lens. That's the challenge of photography! I love it.

14. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    the 20/1.7 will always be a very popular lens.. so if you pay a few bucks extra (more or less) it will be no big deal in the long run.. don't fret over a few dollars.. go to McDonalds for a few days to make up for the money.. LOL

15. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Is it possible to get Amazon Prime and Warehouse deals to Canada?

16. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    How noisy is the 20mm on average? And does it change body to body? I have it on a GF1 right now, and its quite noisy when there is no background noise, the 14-45 is silent.
    Havent tried it on the GF2 body yet, dont want to open that as I may not keep it, might wait and get a GX1 later in the year.

17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It's equally noisy on any body, since the noise is coming from the focus motor.