1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Deals at B&H/question about calibration devices

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by sammykhalifa, Oct 30, 2014.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    As shown on 43rumors
    http://www.43rumors.com/special-bhphoto-rebates-on-sigma-and-lensbaby-stuff/

(would like to direct link but not sure the sales would work that way, whatever.)

Anyhow, none of the sigma things are interesting me right now, but I've been thinking a long time about finally getting some monitor calibration, and two seem like pretty good deals on this--the X-Rite Colormonkey Display ($144), and the Datacolor Spyder4Pro($125). I know this could to in the "This or That" forum as well, but some questions about these:
    a) are those actually good deals, and
    b) which one do people like better? I'm having a hard time comparing because I've never used anything similar. I'm a rank amateur
    c) something else instead?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    What monitor are you currently using?

3. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
  4. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    hmm, $165 off the 5K retina imac

5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Checkout Amazon for prices as well. The more expensive items provide more options and work on a wider range of computers/monitors. Not all graphics cards/monitors can be properly calibrated - they just don't have the capabilities - but I have never seen a list of such items.

The two you listed are decent choices. Others - i1Display Pro and ColorMunki Photo are probably the best selling bottom line pro stuff - but comes at more expense.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    I have an x-rite & I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The main difference will be the software that comes with it. Also there are plenty of 3rd party software products like calMAN which will work with most devices and might extent the flexibility of the sensor unit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Thanks guys. I finally pulled the trigger on the Colormunki display. I know there are better options out there but I think for my very amateur purposes it will be good, at least "ballparking" what I see on the monitor to being correct.

To be honest, because they looked very similar the final decision came down to that I like monkeys more than spiders. :biggrin: