Dealing with OLAS, or...

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
...or how I made Ms ektar much happier...

I thought about putting this in the "what photography item did you buy..." thread, but I didn't actually buy anything except a board:

HmmLong.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

See, OLAS appears to be a long-term, largely incurable affliction. There are more than a few carriers of this malady here on the forum. You know who you are... I am certain that I became afflicted amongst you. Miz ektar is an indulgent, patient sort. For better or worse, she also appears to have some difficulty counting. She does, however recognize the differences between a couple, a few, and a shedload. Unfortunately she's a subscriber to USPS's "Informed Daily Delivery" service, which very unkindly reveals the approach of packages. (She has not yet learned how to monitor UPS or FedEx, but I digress...) So, she was not unaware of the mounting accumulation of photographic...stuff, mainly lenses.

As a side note, sometimes that's good: Unless something arrives in a biga** box, a 40-150 PRO draws no more or less attention than a salvage Nikkor 28.

But, I have to admit that my floor-based storage arrangement in the guest bedroom was...suboptimal. When I couldn't turn around inside the length of my admittedly not big feet, I knew I needed a better system. We have a bonus room over the garage. Full climate control. Traditionally, we've run the air a lot warmer up there than in the rest of the living space, so that was going to have to be addressed. And then what was I going to use as a shelf? Well, this:

Shelf_1B.jpg

Garden-variety assemble-it-yourself bookcase, that previously housed my grad school books. Books which I admittedly hadn't cracked since we moved into this house. So, into boxes they went and into the attic the boxes went. Now, the door to the right goes to the attic. That side of the house faces east, so gets the morning sun full-on. Pretty sure that's not going to be a good place for the lenses and gear. More on that in a minute. So, I hauled the bookcase downstairs, sourced the long-a** board, and sorted out what sort of spacing I'd need for what, cut the new shelves, drilled for shelf support and Bob's yer uncle- a lens shelf!

Shelf_3.jpg

I trucked it back upstairs (lighter with some of the shelves now removable), and situated it across the bonus room, more centrally. There's a vent high on the wall, so cooling air will be circulating well, and the walls are not toward an exposed exterior surface and should be cooler.

To shorten an already wordy, probably boring story, I schlepped the gear upstairs and organized it such that I should be able to access things a lot better. Thats a computer desk to the right, but the shelf isn't in the way really, and the desk chair doesn't go over that far anyway. The WB is a little wonky on this one due to the overhead bulb.

LensShelf_1A.jpg

So, that was my project for the last little while. Thanks for letting me share.

Mountain_Man_79

Ah, yes. Comets, the icebergs of the sky.
Real Name
Chris
...or how I made Ms ektar much happier...

I thought about putting this in the "what photography item did you buy..." thread, but I didn't actually buy anything except a board:

View attachment 889221

See, OLAS appears to be a long-term, largely incurable affliction. There are more than a few carriers of this malady here on the forum. You know who you are... I am certain that I became afflicted amongst you. Miz ektar is an indulgent, patient sort. For better or worse, she also appears to have some difficulty counting. She does, however recognize the differences between a couple, a few, and a shedload. Unfortunately she's a subscriber to USPS's "Informed Daily Delivery" service, which very unkindly reveals the approach of packages. (She has not yet learned how to monitor UPS or FedEx, but I digress...) So, she was not unaware of the mounting accumulation of photographic...stuff, mainly lenses.

As a side note, sometimes that's good: Unless something arrives in a biga** box, a 40-150 PRO draws no more or less attention than a salvage Nikkor 28.

But, I have to admit that my floor-based storage arrangement in the guest bedroom was...suboptimal. When I couldn't turn around inside the length of my admittedly not big feet, I knew I needed a better system. We have a bonus room over the garage. Full climate control. Traditionally, we've run the air a lot warmer up there than in the rest of the living space, so that was going to have to be addressed. And then what was I going to use as a shelf? Well, this:

View attachment 889237

Garden-variety assemble-it-yourself bookcase, that previously housed my grad school books. Books which I admittedly hadn't cracked since we moved into this house. So, into boxes they went and into the attic the boxes went. Now, the door to the right goes to the attic. That side of the house faces east, so gets the morning sun full-on. Pretty sure that's not going to be a good place for the lenses and gear. More on that in a minute. So, I hauled the bookcase downstairs, sourced the long-a** board, and sorted out what sort of spacing I'd need for what, cut the new shelves, drilled for shelf support and Bob's yer uncle- a lens shelf!

View attachment 889242

I trucked it back upstairs (lighter with some of the shelves now removable), and situated it across the bonus room, more centrally. There's a vent high on the wall, so cooling air will be circulating well, and the walls are not toward an exposed exterior surface and should be cooler.

To shorten an already wordy, probably boring story, I schlepped the gear upstairs and organized it such that I should be able to access things a lot better. Thats a computer desk to the right, but the shelf isn't in the way really, and the desk chair doesn't go over that far anyway. The WB is a little wonky on this one due to the overhead bulb.

View attachment 889243

So, that was my project for the last little while. Thanks for letting me share.
I can’t see the red dot sight I sold you on that shelf!

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
I can’t see the red dot sight I sold you on that shelf!
Third shelf down, far left, back corner.

Most impressed.
But what percentage of the lenses are worth less that you paid for that very nice board? :)

Not many. The board was eight bucks and change. A little hand sander to bevel the corners, and...

I'm nervous already. Have you tied the shelf unit to the wall?

Well, no. As it sits, the shelf has enough rearward lean to be pretty stable. I gave it a wiggle as I loaded things to reassure myself.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Garden-variety assemble-it-yourself bookcase…
If that's an Ikea Billy, you need the optional glass doors and shelves. You can explain it to Ms. Extar as a "humidity control system." Besides, it keeps the dust down!

I added four halogen "under cabinet" lights, that I then removed the "UV PROTECTION" cover from. These heat up the air a bit and sterilize the fungus buggers — honestly, it has nothing to do with making your collection look nicer, especially at night!
Billy Camera Case.jpg

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Very nice! I am somewhere behind you down that storage road, but am getting there in the end.

Google came up empty on OLAS, other than some wedding photographer, so I fancy getting it explained. I am set for a blinding flash of the obvious and self-inflicted forehead slap... :biggrin:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Old Lens Acquisition Syndrome? It sits a mite better than Antique Lens Acquisition Syndrome (ALAS!) That would truly be alas, as in, "Abandon all hope ye who enter here." ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom