1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dead Sea Scrolls (lots of images)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by dlew, Feb 26, 2013.

1. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis
    Took my OMD out for it's first 'real' test run. Went to an Exhibit: "Dead Sea Scrolls" last night. It was a fairly large dimly lit room split into several 'rows' (and little walking space), and with some areas just lit with spots. I used my 14mm and 20mm mainly and the OMD performed Amazingly!! :thumbup:

C&C welcomed...

8510029593_dbd368abb9_c.
    8510029591_a1f70e3836_c.
    8511138616_dbd368abb9_c.
    8511138564_3ddb0d125d_c.
    8510029489_d3cf5bd507_z.
    8511138558_f734fbedc6_c.
    8510029513_6579914056_c.

• Like Like x 8
  2. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Interesting photos and of course the subject matter goes without saying. You did very good on this....
    Thanks....

• Like Like x 1
  4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I have been in Qumran two days ago, this the place where the scrolls have been written and found.

The cave at the top of the rock was the resting of the scrolls for about 2000 years.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/8510235275/" title="Qumran cave by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8510235275_c6cc4a877c_b. "1024" height="639" alt="Qumran cave"></a>

Qumran archaeological site the place where they were written.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/8511347964/" title="Qumran archaeological site by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 8511347964_04636d69a3_b. "1024" height="576" alt="Qumran archaeological site"></a>

• Like Like x 7
  5. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis

elavon: oh, very cool!

here's two close up of the display boards on qumran.
    8511400670_3bfc1f352f_c.
    8511400674_fe2aa77627_c.
    :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. It looks like it would have been an interesting exhibit to see. I got to see some of the scrolls a few years ago in a small museum at the Citadel in Amman, Jordan. Given the significance of the scrolls the display was very low key.

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    At the Israeli museum is Jerusalem the scrolls got their own building.
    The high low key is probably cultural/political decision.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    My wife and I went to see this when it was on display in our city. Some of the historical artifacts were really amazing.

9. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis
    From what i found out, this particular exhibit is on it's way to Lincoln, Nebraska next.

• Like Like x 1
  10. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    The boards don't really tell any of the story
    For example the Bedouins who found them guessed they had some value, so ripped them up into many pieces to obtain more money for multiple sales.
    Some people say that many pieces have been destroyed or lost.

11. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The low lighting is probably to slow aging as well as drama. Man, all that history in one place, just totally interesting.

G

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    There was an exhibit in Cinncinati recently, but it was over $20 just to see the scrolls and that was a bit steep for me. I enjoy the photos - as well as the shjots of Qumran. :2thumbs:

14. pzlo

pzlo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Nebraska
    Phil
    I had no clue about this traveling display! And a huge THANK YOU to flew for the info on it coming to Lincoln, NE, which is a sixty minutes drive.

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Wonderful images. I've held a Holocaust scroll but would love to see the exhibit. I'll have to look up the schedule.

16. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    There is some amazing history relating to these Scrolls, and many fascinating books written about them, including translations. The modern history is that they were found by locals and dispersed to the highest bidder/s. They are scattered throughout the world with some available for study and some locked away to prevent analysis and disclosure.

There was 2 books written by an Australian Catholic Theologist, Barbera Thierling that studied these scrolls in detail and translated many. One of the scrolls found was a copper scroll that was the translation key to all others. Amongst the scrolls were inventory scrolls indicating weapon counts etc.

Thierling proposed that Qumran was actually a plural word for Jerusalem, and that the population living in Qumran were a military arm of the Jewish population referred too as the Essennes. They were eventually over run by the Romans in a military assault around 66 AD (would need to check that date again to be absolutely sure).

Her theories went further to suggest that many references in the Bible related to Qumran and not the alternative site of the city of Jerusalem, and due to multiple translations of different books using different scholars and languages this fact had been confused.

At one point Thierling organized a translation of a Dead Sea Scroll by a large number of scholars using the translation scroll as the key. The scholars were separated to ensure that each expert used their own work and processes. The results were identical outcomes from more than 20 translations. Thierling then proposed that some of the scrolls found on the banks of the Dead Sea were most probably the most original forms of Bible stories that existed. They may have been written by the Essenne population that lived there.

Whatever is accepted as fact, the history behind these documents is amazing.

17. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    The scrolls were written by the essenes. They were a break away religion based on Juadism but with a distinctly different way of life quite contrary to Jewish law. Their own law prohibited them living within the walls of jeruslem, so qumran definitely is not anything to do with Jerusalem.

There were many new religions and sects at the time, they were just one who wrote scrolls which survived because they hid them. It was a time of great persecution by the Romans, who were crucifying 1000 Jews a week. Many Jews were desperate and looking for all sorts of spiritual escapes from their terrible physical condition, hence the proliferation of new sects and religion.

The Essenes did not survive due to their impractical rules on sex.

So why are they interesting to us ? Simply because their religious books are based on the Jewish bible and prophets, so they provide very early confirmation of the historical authenticity of these scripts.