1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dead Pixel/Pixel Mapping help?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by blinky, Jun 12, 2011.

1. blinky

blinky Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Missouri
    Anyone have experience with using the pixel mapping function?

Just realized that the new camera definitely has one pixel that's not functioning correctly and now I'm spotting two or three other likely culprits as well.

It's obviously still under warranty, but from what I read, it seems most manufacturers just run a remap themselves. Any risk with running the remap utility like it getting overzealous and mapping away functioning pixels?

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I did this as a matter of course with all my Olys with no apparent side effects.

3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I've never had the need to use it, but if it's under warranty anyway........ go on, you know you want to..... :biggrin:

4. AZK9lover

AZK9lover Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Stan
    I've used pixel mapping periodically on the E-P1 and E-PL1 and have generally had good results. Occasionally it may take more than one run for the camera to recognize and "correct" a dead or stuck/hot pixel, and sometimes I let some time pass and recheck to see if that pixel is still faulty before running the pixel mapping utility (I've read that occasionally stuck pixels will correct themselves and may tend to appear temporarily after prolonged camera use, due to sensor heat, perhaps?)

When I first got the E-P1, I noticed a couple of these pixels, always in the same location on the pictures. Needless to say I was upset that a new camera would have this, and I ended up returning it for another one. Well, that replacement also had a stuck pixel, only in a different location. It was only after some frustration and research on the internet that I found this to be an expected occurrence with digital sensors (though I didn't expect it to happen so quickly with a new camera), which prompted me to learn about the pixel mapping utility. It managed to correct the pixel, and periodically I will notice a new one pop up in my photos (both E-P1 and E-PL1). I haven't heard of pixel mapping affecting the good pixels with repeated use, so periodically I do run it, especially when I notice obvious stuck/hot pixels in my photos. From what I've read, I get the impression that this happens eventually with almost all digital sensors, and I've restrained myself from "pixel peeping" as much as I used to (to preserve my sanity and also because most people who see my photographs will not notice them).

I think it's great that Olympus has incorporated a pixel mapping utility with these cameras, especially since some of my older cameras have developed some obvious faulty pixels that cannot be as easily corrected.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

It was a toss up for me between the Olympus E-PL1 or the Panasonic G2 , but the G2 won, as i like the DSLR styling, also the free 5 year warranty + software offer at the moment :)

The Olympus E-PL1 or the Panasonic G2 are supposed to have the same model, not so great low light sensor, thought i have not found any real problems yet.

I had read a few reviews on the E-PL1 , and it was mentioned more than one about dead/hot pixel on a new camera, I would have thought all problem pixel would have been mapped out before shipping.

It`s a good job the E-PL1 has pixel mapping, the G2 has pixel refresh, same thing.

I have been using dead pixel finder for years with all my camera`s , and apart from crashing all the time it works ok.

I set my G2 to manual mode, and turned off all image enhancements and stabilisations, including long exposure noise reduction.

So i decided to test my G2 , at ISO 100 between 1-4" seconds , it found 0 , i reduced the default sensitivity 60 down to 10 and it still found nothing.

So i tried the same as above at ISO 1600 and still nothing down to as low as 40.

So i am quite happy with the G2 :)

6. rolfen

rolfen Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 3, 2014
    Just did it. Remove the lens and put the body cap on, and run it. It killed my dead pixels (if that is possible).
    I thought it was a dead pixel in the LCD, but it turned out to be one on the sensor - I found that out after noticing that it moved around in movie mode - when I enabled movie IS, and sure enough, there it was, on my photos!
    Take care for the sensor not to be receiving light when running it. On bright outdoors, the body cap might not be enough! I'm not sure how the camera can make the difference between a stuck white pixel and a normal one if they're all receiving light.

7. iansmith

iansmith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    I'm pretty sure it closes the shutter during the mapping to keep any light getting in.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you shoot raw, many program like Lightroom will automatically map out bad pixels.

--Ken

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    But why have to remember to do it with EVERY photo you take, when the camera can repair them at the system level?

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am not saying that you should not use the pixel mapping function. I am just pointing out that should a hot pixel be discovered after the fact, that LR will correct it automatically in a raw file without any effort on the part of the user. Also, it is useful to know for cameras that do not have pixel mapping.

--Ken