[DEAD] Olympus Refub 20% Sale

Real Name
Emily
Does Olympus send purchase confirmation e-mails? I paid with PayPal, and got a confirmation from PP that the payment was completed, but haven't gotten anything from Olympus (so I don't even have an order number I can check.)

Olympus states that with refurbs it can take a couple of extra days to confirm.

I had that issue with the 14-150ii that I bought refurb, customer service mentioned the wait, which is also mentioned somewhere on the site.

gpburdell

Mu-43 Veteran
Have you checked your Spam filter/folder?

While I've seen the order confirmation take a while before, it doesn't always. I received mine in minutes, and shipping confirmation Monday night. My trophies^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H lenses arrived on Wednesday.

Does Olympus send purchase confirmation e-mails? I paid with PayPal, and got a confirmation from PP that the payment was completed, but haven't gotten anything from Olympus (so I don't even have an order number I can check.)

It can take a day or two. For this sale, I received a confirmation within 24 hours. If you created an account at Olympus, you can always review your order history, get tracking, previous invoices, etc.

Real Name
Ian
I am in the same boat. Put an E-M1 in my cart, but bailed out. I am hoping that people will be selling their LNIB E-M1s for pennies once the mkII comes out ;)
Meh, I still think buying a refurb E-M1 is the way to go. Full price on refurbs is $720, and with 20% off the price falls to $576 ($610 if you have to pay tax). The benefit of buying refurb is that you can buy an extended warranty for the camera for an additional $80 from B&H (Olympus charges $100 for the exact same warranty). So for $650-700, you get an E-M1 with a 2 year warranty.

Sure, if you can get an E-M1 cheap enough that you can pay for an out-of-warranty repair and still come out even, then by all means jump on it (that's what I did with my second E-M1). But the likely truth is that *something* will go wrong during two years of ownership, and when it does that extended warranty pays for itself.

I bought a refurb E-M1 back in March during the 25% off sale, and when I received it it was already suffering from a skipping rear dial. It finally go so bad that I sent it in for repair this week.

SVQuant

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Sameer
Meh, I still think buying a refurb E-M1 is the way to go. Full price on refurbs is $720, and with 20% off the price falls to $576 ($610 if you have to pay tax). The benefit of buying refurb is that you can buy an extended warranty for the camera for an additional $80 from B&H (Olympus charges $100 for the exact same warranty). So for $650-700, you get an E-M1 with a 2 year warranty.

Sure, if you can get an E-M1 cheap enough that you can pay for an out-of-warranty repair and still come out even, then by all means jump on it (that's what I did with my second E-M1). But the likely truth is that *something* will go wrong during two years of ownership, and when it does that extended warranty pays for itself.

I bought a refurb E-M1 back in March during the 25% off sale, and when I received it it was already suffering from a skipping rear dial. It finally go so bad that I sent it in for repair this week.
$626.40 with CA taxes :) Still a very good deal, though.

My primary reason for looking at the E-M1 is that I would like a faster tele option and I can get the E-M1 + Zuiko 50-200SWD for about the price of the O40-150Pro. I expect to be using the combination in fall, so I am willing to wait a few months and see what the mkII brings to the system. Given that I am not an early adopter any more, I think I will likely still get the E-M1 when I do bite the bullet.

The dial issue is a good thing to keep in mind and that extended warranty does seem worth it. FWIW, having had the skipping dial issue with both your E-M1s, the fact that you are still recommending the E-M1 is very good advertisement for the camera.

Real Name
Brian Taylor

I didn't know that one could buy Olympus warranties from B&H. I'm assuming that this is what I should get for any OM-D camera, right?: Olympus OM-D Camera Body 2-Year Extended Limited Warranty 260607

Real Name
Ian
I didn't know that one could buy Olympus warranties from B&H. I'm assuming that this is what I should get for any OM-D camera, right?: Olympus OM-D Camera Body 2-Year Extended Limited Warranty 260607
Yep, that's the one. I HIGHLY recommend it. My E-M1 is now covered until 3/31/2018. Hell, within the first 3 months of ownership I had to send it back to get the rear dial fixed, so who knows what else may go wrong with it over the next 21 months of ownership.

Real Name
Ian
My primary reason for looking at the E-M1 is that I would like a faster tele option and I can get the E-M1 + Zuiko 50-200SWD for about the price of the O40-150Pro.
Yep, that's the reason I bought the E-M1 in the first place, because I already owned a 50-200 and wanted to be able to auto-focus it. At the time, I owned two GH4's and was simply using the lens as a manual focus lens, but with the E-M1 the focus is really excellent. I bought it to use at motorsport events, because it gives me excellent reach, a fast aperture, and is weather sealed.

Obviously, once owning the E-M1 it made it even better for using my primes (PL15, PL25, P42.5, O75) and the 7-14 f/2.8 PRO, none of which are stabilized.

The dial issue is a good thing to keep in mind and that extended warranty does seem worth it. FWIW, having had the skipping dial issue with both your E-M1s, the fact that you are still recommending the E-M1 is very good advertisement for the camera.
Yeah, it's an excellent camera when it's functioning properly. The customization, the AF ability, the feel of the camera, IBIS, etc. Some people claimed to have never had a rear dial issue with their E-M1, so I guess it's possible to be one of the lucky ones. However, I believe they're more the exception rather than the rule.

Regarding the cost, it really all depends on how much risk you want to take. Buying a refurb unit on sale for $625 in your case, plus $80 for the warranty brings you to $705 all-in. Now sure, if you look around and wait, you'll find E-M1's going for as low as $500 (that's what I paid for my second one). While the upfront cost is $200 lower than the refurb+warranty option, all it takes having the send the camera in 1 time and that cost advantage is wiped out. For me to ship my E-M1 with $800 of insurance, it cost me $25. The repair if it were out of warranty was quoted at $195, including return shipping. So sending the camera in 1 time for any repair is going to bring you cost up to $720, effectively equal to the refurb+warranty combo, which still gives you 2 years of covered repairs.

Typically, I wouldn't even think of buying an extended warranty, simply because every single Panasonic camera I've owned over the years has never given me an issue, ever. But with all of the document cases of things going wrong with Olympus cameras (dials not working, dials falling off, EVF green spots, delaminating rubber grip, etc.), I think you'd be crazy not to pick up an extended warranty if given the option especially if it's only $80.

Real Name
Brian Taylor
Yep, that's the one. I HIGHLY recommend it. My E-M1 is now covered until 3/31/2018. Hell, within the first 3 months of ownership I had to send it back to get the rear dial fixed, so who knows what else may go wrong with it over the next 21 months of ownership.
My E-M1 arrived today - only 160 shutter actuations - looks brand new!

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
My E-M1 arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, what was in the box looked so extraordinarily like an E-M10, it was an E-M10! Ooops! After an 18 minute phone call with a very bright, chipper Oly representative (mostly on hold listening to teeth-gritting phone-hold music, as she tried to suss out the best way forward with her admins), I sent the package back. They are paying my return postage and sending another body upon receipt. So, I now wait another couple of days and hope the supply of E-M1s hasn't run out in the interim. I can't help but think that some lucky duck who ordered an E-M10 hit the lottery and received an E-M1. Enjoy, whoever you are.

Real Name
Emily
Got it, thanks! I'm not sure how happy I'm going to be with the articulating screen. I use the LED to look at the "Super Control Panel" (or whatever it's called) on my e-m5 mk I a lot, and I think having to flip it out sideways to see the display is going to be a pain. The Mark II seems to be much more configurable than the Mk I, so I'm hoping that I can set things up so that I rarely have to look at the control panel. (I know you can look at the control panel in the EVF, but it's hard to get to all the buttons and dials with the camera squashed into my face.)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom