1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Dead E-M10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by surrender, Aug 23, 2015.

1. surrender

surrender New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2015
    Hi all,

I'm having some problems with my E-M10. I purchased it as a factory-sealed refurb a month and a half ago, and the issues began yesterday. When I switch it on, the shutter fires and the LCD turns on, but the camera is completely unresponsive and then turns off a few seconds later. If I connect it to my computer via the USB cable, it'll display the normal "Storage/MTP/Print/Exit" menu, and I'm able to access the photos on the SD card in storage mode. However, once I exit the menu and remove the cable, it'll fire the shutter and then turn off. I've already tried different lenses, batteries and SD cards to no avail.

Have any other Olympus owners had issues like this? The camera and lenses have never been dropped or come into contact with water. Unfortunately, I'm currently unable to send it for repair since I'm in Africa for work for another month. I'll send it in for repair when I get back home, but I'd like to see if there are any ways to fix it in the meantime.

2. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Sorry, I've no other suggestions than those you've already mentioned. It doesn't sound too hopeful for the EM10 but I wish you luck.

3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I doubt that there is any combination of camera settings that can cause this behavior. The only things I can think of that may be able to cause it are: malfunctioning battery, SD card that became defective or has dirty contacts, or dirty contacts between the lens and body. A clean cloth is all that's needed to wipe off contacts.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    It's clearly busted. You might want to look at your warranty interval. It's measured in days (60 or 90?) , if you bought from Olympus USA, but may be longer from other stores. If you're running up against a deadline, perhaps you can contact the place where you bought it to get pre-approval if you won't make it out of Africa in time to meet the warranty dates.

5. surrender

surrender New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2015
    Ugh, that's what I feared. I still have a month and a half left on the warranty and I'm going to Europe next month, so I'll be able to ship it back to Olympus USA from there.

Thanks for the help!