Dead Cam Walking?

Mutton Dressed As Lamb

Mu-43 Rookie
For the past 3 years, I have been using a Panasonic G7 camera with a 14-140 zoom lens as my "go to" rig for general photography. Yesterday, after taking my first shot of the afternoon in 40 temperature, a notice came on the screen saying Please turn camera on and off again. This happened 4 times in a row. At someone's suggestion, I removed the lens, which hadn't been done for over a year, and cleaned the contacts. It hasn't happened again after shooting almost 50 frames. Should I keep the camera, or trade it in on a new one, as its off warranty. As this is an older model, it can be had with a kit lens for as little as $400.00. I don't want to send it in for repair, as that can almost equal the cost of replacement

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It might have simply been an interface issue between the camera and the lens. If it continues to operate fine without the error then I would say that was your issue and you fixed it. You might just make it a habit to unlock the lens once in a while (say monthly), twist it like you are going to take it off and then twist it back on until it looks. This will re-engage the pins as well as make them scrape each other a bit to help prevent a non-conductive oxidized layer hasn't developed between pins and contacts (although this shouldn't happens if both are gold plated).

Mutton Dressed As Lamb

Mu-43 Rookie
I'd at least see if the problem reoccurs. Of course, the G9 prices are pretty good right now. :whistling:
I'd at least see if the problem reoccurs. Of course, the G9 prices are pretty good right now. :whistling:
I wonder if they might even get lower. It would not be surprising that Panasonic might eventually abandon micro 4/3 if their full frame mirrorless models take off

shimon

Mu-43 Regular
Get a small bottle of DeoxIT and place some on the electrical contacts. It will remove and prevent oxidation. It's useful for many, many repairs. Ever have batteries leak inside a component? This stuff removes all the battery acids and works great. Sorry if I sound like ad for the stuff but it does work and I've used it extensively (I work in industrial electronics). Anyway, if you like your camera set-up, this will help keep it running. (I'm not associated with DeoxIT nor do I own stock in it or anything like that...just a satisfied user).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom