1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Daytripping in France with the E-PL7's B&W filter

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by fader, May 16, 2019.

1. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Intermittent Globe Trotter
    Isaac
    We had the chance to drop into Auray this afternoon, a charming and very old village here in the Morbihan, and one of my favorites. I always shoot RAW and JPEG, but decided to try the "grainy" B&W filter on my EPL7 again. It's kind of hit and miss but it does have a lot of contrast. Certainly it's not trying to compete with the Pen F's monochrome settings, but when resized to smaller images (1100px in this thread) the strong grain effect takes on its own personality.

It's nice sometimes to let the camera do the work and to put more time into developing a story. A compromise on chasing visual perfection for narrative. I enjoyed shooting this way and putting the images together. Enjoy the shots.

I witnessed this fella debark a 100+ year old boat as crew (same vessel as is in the background) and hop onto a 1940s era Peugeot motorbike.

P5160125.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Facade detail on the town church. This one is unique, even here in the Catholic stronghold of Brittany because the statue survived the French Revolution. On most of the churches these hollows are bare, as the statues were pulled down, decapitated, and left in the street.
    P5160045.jpg

An old Citroen 2CV
    P5160073.jpg

One of the old streets in the Port of Saint-Goustan
    P5160122.jpg

No shortage of French Navy shirts in Bretagne
    P5160088.jpg

The bar and the street along the port are named after Ben Franklin, who first set foot on these same streets to ask the French for help during the US Revolutionary War.
    P5160100.jpg

More evidence of the Franco American connection, downtown Auray.
    franco-harley.jpg

Historic vessels in a historic port. The Port of Saint-Goustan is on the Auray river which flows directly into the Gulf of Morbihan, and on into the Atlantic.
    P5160101.jpg

The connection to the sea is often full of sorrow. There are often shrines such as this one that served the fishermen who braved the Atlantic here on the edge of the fearsome Gulfe de Gascogne, or the Bay of Biscay to us Yanks. Whether to commemorate the dead or to say a parting prayer before leaving for sea, it's presence is hard to miss.
    P5160110.jpg

Many artists reside in the area and there are several small galleries on both sides of the river.
    P5160133.jpg

Aspirations ... ok, probably not with this filter :D 
    P5160103.jpg

Until next time! Thanks for looking
    P5160148.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 36
    • Winner Winner x 10
  2. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Nice set and thanks for the write up!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Santa

Santa Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Tennessee
    Tom Staggs
    Nice photos. Love the old Citroen and I wish I had those white bushy eyebrows of that fisherman. Would look good on Santa.

4. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Isaac
    humbled to be featured - thanks guys :drinks:

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  5. Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis Mu-43 Veteran

Love the Morbihan region, the small islands in the gulf are fascinating too - lots of burial mounds, tumulii and so on - thank you for sharing...

6. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Isaac
    Indeed it is an interesting place. Visiting a place like Carnac is truly awe inspiring. I'd like to do a solid session there during the blue hour with a compliment of strobes. One of these days!

7. Macroramphosis

Yes, Carnac is magic. I did not have a camera last time I was there..... sigh. If you get back there make sure you post photos :D 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Paul C

Paul C Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2017
    BLACK AND WHITE - IN CAMERA

Lumix have a great B&W simulation under scene modes in their Bridge Cameras such as the FZ35/38. When the coulours are challenging - such as in mixed flourescent and tungsten lighting which is near impossible to fix - it makes a great option to just drop the colour and concentrate on composition. It comes out with grain and contrast like Tri-X B&W negative film pushed 1 stop ......no bad thing!

Another time when it helps is if the sky is bright and boring - in which case a switch to B&W can render the sky as white "negative space" and help shape the composition to concentrate the eye to other elements.

However the B&W "scene Mode" in the Lumix G cameras seems nowhere near as good as their bridge cameras - which is a pity. Am I missing something?
    • Is this a strength of Olympus over Panasonic?
    • Do I need to create a "custom" scene mode to get the best effect - in which case what menu settings to use?
    • Or is it just impossible to get this right with M4/3 cameras - and thus what I really need is the eye-wateringly expensive Leica M Monochrom (Type 246).

So can I appeal to the friendly M4/3 forum to use its collective experience to recommend the best B&W simulation cameras and in-camera settings.

YES - before you dismiss this - I know you can do this in the editing mode using a colour image; but using B&W simulation allows you to see the image in B&W in the viewfinder - which really helps with composing.
    Remember that mid-tone red and mid-tone blue come out the same in B&W. For real control freaks - the aim is to shoot the JPEG in "Scene Mode" and also save a RAW version to work on later if you want.

Best wishes - Paul

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Isaac
    I don't think so. I can't speak for Panasonics but will watch for replies as my interest in the GX9 is growing by the day. As far as Olympus goes - the Pen F's monochrome mode and adjustments seem far superior to the rest of the Olympus range - no Leica required IMO if B&W is your forte.

In the O-MD M10, EM5s (I think its the same) and the Pen Lite series, we get 2 modes - B&W and "grainy film". The first mode looks like hitting desaturate in photoshop. There's really not much of a curve to it and and out-of-camera jpegs are dull and flat. I think there are some small adjustments that can be made but I haven't experimented too much. If I have to cook the photo I'd just as soon start in color.

The first few times I used the grainy setting I was seeing them on the 3" screen and thought they looked great on the LCD panel and, like you, I enjoy composing shots while seeing the filter effect in the display. Then I got the images on-screen and thought it looked like complete garbage! It wasn't until I started resizing the images down where the character I saw on the display started to come back.

10. Macroramphosis

I shoot B&W in Mono (Photo Style menu), as I also enjoy shooting in live B&W for compositional purposes. I then process to taste for grain and contrast. There is a chance sometimes that a colour photograph may make a good B&W subject, and I am sometimes aware of it when shooting colour, but most times I actually like to see what I am shooting as it appears in B&W. Old habits die hard for some of us I guess. I shot a lot of film in B&W in the 80's and 90's and like the medium much more than some,I suspect. Hope this helps....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paul C

Paul C Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2017

The first few times I used the grainy setting I was seeing them on the 3" screen and thought they looked great on the LCD panel and, like you, I enjoy composing shots while seeing the filter effect in the display. Then I got the images on-screen and thought it looked like complete garbage! It wasn't until I started resizing the images down where the character I saw on the display started to come back.\

I like it !
    Fader has it right - the best reason to shoot in B&W is for a print as the final product. Once you start looking at a 7x5 or a 10x8 print, then all the supposed "faults" of M4/3 disappear - the 1 pixel CA that so upsets lens reviewers becomes invisible, the Chroma Noise at 1600 ASA vanishes and what photo paper can print the 10 stops of exposure range of even a first-generation 12MP sensor Lumix G1? Heck - even your old travel zoom compact takes great 6x4 prints!!!

At this point - it makes sense to give my vote for this years best photo book: "In Camera book – perfect photos out-of-camera" Written by Gordon Laing. It celebrates the art of JPEG photography with 100 of his travel images, all presented out-of-camera. No filter, no Photoshop, just pure photography! As with shooting 35mm transparency slide film - if you get the picture right at the time of taking then no further work should be required.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 12.52.18.png

That is the same Gordon Laing who produces those astonishingly detailed 20 page photo-equipment reviews at the "CameraLabs" website. And yes - he does use mirrorless small format cameras!

So keep the ideas coming up for the best "in-camera" settings for B&W - I feel a black and white weekend is near at hand !

best wishes - Paul

• Like Like x 2
  12. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Inspiring and great photos, thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Isaac
    Many thanks for the compliment. Glad you enjoyed them

14. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    Isn't that just anything above iso 6400? Is it a "feature" now? :biggrin:

15. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Isaac
    Totally different. the filter provides the finest artisanal grain available, using a combination of the earth's magnetic field and solar flare to provide enough entropy to the random grain generator. Above 6400 is just noise :whistling: :p 

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    A solid series. I really like that you exclusively used the 45mm. It's quite refreshing to see this different FoV and certainly filled the frame on the boat scene (#8) and the street scene (#4) nicely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Lovely pics!

18. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Isaac
    Thanks @siftu@siftu, appreciate the kind words. I've watched a lot of the natgeo photographer interviews on youtube, and several drive home the point about looking for layers - alignment of a strong foreground, middleground, and background elements in an image. This strategy definitely works with the 45mm and at f8-f11 the images are as sharp as you like with no worries about getting enough DOF.

Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    Good to see your putting the EPL-7 to good use!
    Very nice set of images. Thanks for sharing.
    GR

20. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    I really have not yet had a chance to see how good the b&w settings are for the Panasonic G9 as I just got it. I did notice it how some new b&w options for shooting images in grayscale. I hope to test them out soon. Maybe someone else using the G9 has used them and can elaborate about the new b&w features.
    GR

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.